Vsync and Downclocking?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Tyler Dalton, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I just noticed something odd while looking at the Rivatuner Hardware monitor while playing BF2. I have vsync forced on and I noticed my card was running at the "low power 3D" clocks. Occasionally it would spike back up to my normal Performance 3D clocks when heavy fighting was going on but most of the time it stayed at the lower clock speeds. Now if I turn vsync off, it stays at the Performance 3D clocks the whole time. The weird thing is, I didn't notice any performance problems in the game while it was running at the lower clocks. Is it normal for vsync to cause your card to downclock itself? Is this a bug with the driver? I noticed it only seems to do this in BF2, in other games even with vsync on it stays in 3D Clock speed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well I went back to the 180.84 drivers and it was the same deal so I guess it isn't a driver issue. Still not sure if this is the right forum but I couldn't think of what section to put it in.

3. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    with vsync off your card maybe doesnt feel stressed enuf maybe?

idk if they use any algorithm for detect 3d clocks, but vista doesnt make cards switch to 3d mode (and aero does waste a lil), so maybe bf2 without vsync doesnt stress enough.

You play at 16x AA? try with that and vsync off.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe it doesn't need to run full power when the fps are limited to 60 fps?...

6. Luka_Aveiro

Luka_Aveiro Guest

GPU:
    GTX850M
    If your gaming experience is not affected by this, how is it a problem?

It's saving you money from electric bills, increasing your VC lifespan and keeping your case temps a lil lower.

Sounds like only good things to me :D