Will xBox 360 be outdated soon?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by esidyo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. esidyo

esidyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon EAH4850 T0P
    I have been hearing news that xbox 360's HD DVD has become old and outdated, soon Microsoft will be releasing the next part of xbox?

I was thinking to buy an xbox 360 because its cheap and the games are cheap too, PS3 is much expensive..

But if the case is of outdating, then I would prefer PS3 anyday, could you guys tell me what to buy :biggun::bang:

2. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Consoles do move in cycles, and they are generally released relatively close to each other. The PS3 does have blu-ray if you wanted a player, but I say the 360 has the games. And for games, neither is going to be outdated until the next generation is out, maybe 2011.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Xbox - cheap & easy to flash with firmware ;)

4. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Oh boy. Umm, HD DVD is dead. It died QUITE a while ago. Games weren't even made in that format - that was for HD DVD movies.

The rumors you are referring to most likely are of the Xbox 360 getting a Blu-Ray drive attachment (just like the now-very-obsolete HD DVD drive), which Microsoft repeatedly denies. Considering Blu-Ray is Sony's monster, I doubt they'd be into letting Microsoft use it in a competitive console (of Sony's PS3).

Keep in mind that the modern consoles are...well, lame in comparison to the processing power of modern gaming PCs.

Also, the PS3 may be powerful, but I find its pricing ludicrous and game selection depressing.

I own an Xbox 360, and it's decent. I did have a RRoD issue, so if you are to buy one, make sure you buy the newest model revision of the Xbox 360.

I've read rumors of the next Xbox (Xbox 720, or better yet, Xbox 1080?) in development, but have not come across virtually any actual facts about it. The PS4 will also be coming in a few years, and you WILL be kicking yourself for buying a PS3 if the PS4 comes in even 2 years.

The Xbox 360 will most likely be the first to be phased-out, since it was the first on the market of this generation.

Also, the Xbox 360 is old now - it's been around since 2005, so don't expect it to stick around for too much longer.

- PR-0927

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Wow some people has to stop with the lack of game statement. IT WAS BACK IN 2007. We're in 2009 now cmon, PS3 has plenty plenty of games. Seriously, this has to stop. Your freaking 360 came a year before the PS3, so of course it will have more games DUH.

You can be sure I'm going to buy a PS4 in the next wave. I hate microsoft. I hate what they do with windows/direct X and I hate how PC hardwares moves too fast. I hate their games.

There you go, I said it.

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Strongly agree!

7. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    If by outdated you meaning phasing out of the market then i would say no. Hardware on the other hand both the ps3 and the xbox are already out of date.

8. Wanny

Wanny Guest

So outdated in hardware that it runs amazing graphics like Killzone 2 and Resident Evil 5.

Consoles = lower resolutions, more jaggies and 30 FPS (which is more than playable). Once you accept this oh so terrible fact, then you have all the eye candy that PC can offer.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    So long as Xbox360 can put out a hi def image up onto a 40"+ sized screen with decent framerates, I don't see how it could become outdated really. I mean, unless people want to start using different technologies or super huge resolutions larger than what we have now, I think Xbox should stick around for a while.
    Only thing that kinda makes me off on Xbox is the lack of decent two-four player games besides racing games and stuff.. kinda find that lacking. Plus lots of games that do come out on Xbox I would prefer to play on PC anyway..

For me, if Xbox wants to solidify some lasting power some new and interesting games need to be released for it. Of course, that's up to the devs, not the console itself, but you catch my drift :)

10. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP

11. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Get whichever console has the majority of the games you want to play. The PS3 and the 360 both have their strengths and weaknesses and neither is really better than the other when it comes down to the actual games, other than the fact that the 360 does have a larger selection of titles at the moment. If price is a big concern then getting a 360 now would be fine as it still has several years of life.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    thats funny, considering when the PS3 was released, he said the opposite, complaining of how complicated the Cell is. lol

ok, well frankly Carmack is a legend, but he's old fuddy duddy anymore. His Tech 3 engine didnt get licensed much or used at all hardly. his Tech 4 engine is more streamlined for porting between platforms and no longer Top shelf in terms of graphics. His opinion, though an educated opinion, is no more than anyone else's these days.

13. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    I will say this, be aware of the hidden cost of the 360 before you label the PS3 as more expensive. You have to pay to play online, you have to pay to have wireless connectivity (if that matters to you) and you have to pay out the butt for propriatary HDDs when you can use any laptop drive on the PS3.

Having owned both I would say the 360 is a cheap POS, its poorly designed and mine broke 2 times before I ditched it. MS really pissed me off with the 360, and will never buy another MS console or hardware for that matter (mind you I did like the orginal Xbox).

14. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    OK, im gonna stick with Xbox on it, i think they have great potentiol in the future as they are in the same line as Windows OS

And the PS3 looks like a dash board :D

15. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

And lower texture resolutions, poorer handling of shadows and lighting. The Xbox 360 and PS3 don't have horrible graphics or even "bad" graphics by any means, but they are certainly not "amazing." Just comparing PC graphics of virtually any game to a console version shows the MASSIVE difference. PS3 and Xbox 360 GPUs were outdated the moment the consoles were released.

And I stand by what I said about PS3 games. The selection is not good enough for me. The only ones I'm interested in even trying are Killzone 2, Resistance, and MAG (or whatever they are gonna' call it). For me, and for many, the Xbox 360 not only has more games available, but better ones.

It's a matter of opinion. Many people bought the Xbox 360 for the Halo franchise, and many bought the PS3 for MGS4.

My only regret in buying an Xbox 360 is not getting a Blu-Ray player with my gaming console.

- PR-0927

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009

16. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Man id go with a 360. Im a Huge PC fan, but ill tell ya there is nothing better than sitting back in family room on your recliner, kicking back with some corn while playing games on my 65 inch HD and cranking up the volume on my 5.1.

Not to mention, getting on xbox live($49.99 for a year of fun, Damn you cant buy Wings and pizza for that), streaming movies from Netflix, Amazon and so much more...

Don't get me wrong, im a PC fan to no end believe me, just look at my stats...... but ill tell ya, the Cerebral stimulation factor you can get from the above is off the charts.

360 FTW

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  17. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Game developers is what controls the future of consoles. If they can keep making game engines that run well with the system (ex: unreal engine) then it will prolong the console it was made for. We already have seen some of these consoles put to its max graphics so once the whole DirectX 10/11 roles in as well as the later engines that need more power then we will start seeing new consoles. It is said that the new unreal engine wont be able to run on todays console so we'll have to wait to see what that holds.

Both the 360 and the PS3 has its adds and disadvantages like stated numerous times on the forums and yeah I have two 360s and one PS3 at the house, I prefer the 360 when gaming and the PS3 when watching movies.

Even up to some games now I'm surprised how much they could take out from them. M$ will improve on its weaknesses from the 360 and Sony may come strong next generation with improving on their mistakes from the PS3.

In the end I got 1 year of xbox live for $15.. cant beat that lol... well actually my bro got two years for free :p (selling mmo items).

18. esidyo

esidyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon EAH4850 T0P
    ALright, I dont mind buying the 360, but if xb720 comes in 1-2 years then I wouldnt have a choice rather than kicking myself.. and the xb360 costs around just $200-$240 now, and PS3 is around $350's over here

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

What mistakes? 360 IS the mistake. FYI, PS3 had a quicker selling rate even if it is the most expensive console. People are just too freaking cheap to buy the better, more future proof hardware. People still live in 2006/2007 when the PS3 came out, they are stuck with the idea that the Playstation 3 is failing.

Let's stop living with an idea of the past. I'm not mad at you btw, just a generale statement :p

20. Ankit kukreti

Ankit kukreti Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 7600 GT
    Obviously it depends on devs. When they released GOW on PS2 it was simply amazing and then they did it again with GOW2 :nerd: But for sure PS3 can do more things and has more storage advantage than 360.

here is full interview with team ninja producer
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3836/team_ninja_ready_for_more.php?page=1

John Carmack said he liked 360 more as it is easy but most devs know that PS3 is more powerful and Sony has claimed it will last for 10yrs but I am not sure about 360 as gear2 producer said it is reaching its limit already