Got the itch...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Slam, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Oh yea!!!!! i came from a QX9650

2. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Not only is it faster - It also does a much better job of rendering terrain textures - Goodbye blurries :D

Another thing - Is the cooling on the Gigabyte UD3R good enough for overclocking the i7 920 to about 4 Ghz?

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ive put a few systems together using these boards. I know one of the guys I sold to has his i7 920 @ 3.8 or 4.0 Ghz.

Would have to ask him to be sure. But the short answer is yes.

It's probably the best budget board of the lot.

I stopped playing FSX ages ago, Im more into Black Shark now. Still nice to hear that the i7 helps out. In Flight sims, every little bit of extra horsepower counts.

Eth

4. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    cool, thanks. yes, please do ask about cooling on the gigabyte ud3r.

fspassengers x and orbx ftx kind of got me into fsx again. i'm waiting for the box version of black shark to be released - can't wait!

5. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    As well as RTS games as shown by the link I posted to Empires Total War above. As seen there, Core i7 shows it's muscle when high unit counts and large terrain areas come into play. Much like other scenarios I've described in the past...

6. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    What do you need to know about the cooling of UD3R? I've built mine and 2 others now. I would say I'm very familiar with this mobo.

7. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    sounds good. i need to know if the stock cooling on the board is sufficient to run the i7 920 at about 4ghz for long periods of time. i've got descent airflow (antec p180 case).

2 other questions (sorry for hijacking thread):

1. do anyone know if i can use my scythe socket 775 infinity (mugen) cooler on the gigabyte ud3r?

2. would a i7 system use less power than my current system (please see specs) - can i re-use my chill innovation 510w psu?

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah I really can't get enough of Black Shark. Its bloody awesome.

Ive played some user made missions where we have been flying upwards of 6 hours. Hitting targets then returning to base to rearm/refuel and going out again (and again)

Cheers,

Eth

9. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    It's more then sufficient for 200mhz bclock, if that's the route you take to 4Ghz. 200mhz x 20 multi = 4Ghz and is the easiest way to get there. This board isn't even stressed at that bclock yet. The other option is to shoot for a higher bclock and lower multi, exampled by 211x19 or even 223x18. Going to 211x19 is doable on this board for sure, 223x18 is outside of my experience even when I was looking for my bclock limit (lower then multi to 16 and go nuts :p ). I reached a bclock of 215mhz and was more then satisfied and stopped there.

#1. No, you cannot use a socket 775 cooler on this board without a new mounting kit.

#2. No, the i7 will use more power. It's as power efficient as it can be, but this chip is a power hog, no two ways about it. It WILL use more power then your old parts it's replacing.

Edit: Warning I forgot to mention if you go the higher bclock route to get to 4Ghz. Stay aware of your QPI frequency and voltage. Try to keep it between 4.8 and 6.4 if possible, and don't let voltage get over 1.6-ish or it will become an oven in your case. Also watch your memory settings closely as bclock changes affect memory speed in much the same way FSB did.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  10. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Yeah, I'm pumped. Parts are coming tomorrow. I already have a Exos2 cooling system...new Danger Den water block coming tomorrow as well. Figure the 920 will dig being on water.

11. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Thanks a lot for the info. Very useful. I hope my 510w is enough (3.3V: 33A
    5V: 45A, 12V: 25A).

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Just wondering if you realise the Exos 2 has an aluminium rad and DD blocks are copper, because you shouldn't mix both in the same loop. Anti-corrosion agents will only slow the reaction, but it will still happen.

I already warned against continuing this argument, please check your PM.

13. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    You are wrong, of course. Nothing I said was bait. It was civil discourse. And since it was meant in honest civil discourse, I don't acknowledge your warning as valid or fair since your warning me against something that was never my intention. The barrage of PMs I've endured on this troll demanding proof of my points has been defeated with the very proof he demanded. Now he's pissed. Your playing his game.

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    So instead of keeping this to PMs you decide to derail the thread even further? You already have one infraction, specifically for attempting to derail the thread. Please keep any further posts in this thread on topic, or you will get another.

15. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Thanks Morb. Yes, I am aware. Known for quite some time. But with anti-corrosion agent in, it is a fairly slow process to corrode. And with the way a lot of us switch parts, by the time it becomes a problem, I probably wont have it anymore anyway. lol!

16. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
    I am really into heavy Video rendering and after careful review decided to make the jump to the new i7 processors.. I just ordered a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202 as well as a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130221 with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230 to start......

My old processor, MB, and RAM will be sold to a coworker to offset the cost....I should see a nice boost in rendering power, thankfully the prices have begun to fall on the X58 MB's and I have had good luck with past MSI Boards, so it seemed the right time to buy.....

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
  18. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Got everything installed, and Vista reloaded. Running at 4ghz, without even breaking a sweat. Water is a good thing.

Now, I just want some clarification on the whole uncore/dram voltage, and keeping them within a certain range of each other. I have bumped my ram up to 1.64v, and simply don't see anywhere in the bios to adjust or view the other voltage I am looking for. Which one am I lookng for?

Any input Greg?

Thanks!

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    From what I've read, going over 1.65v as far as RAM goes is a "no no" with i7s. Apparently it can damage the processor.

Eth

20. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Exactly, and that's why I have it at 1.64. Just trying to figure out the other setting that is supposed to stay near the ram voltage.