2D is slow, drivers or hardware?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by meatsneakers, Mar 5, 2009.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    in my case i used tune up utilities to mod my desktop and it runs so fast on xpsp3

2. meatsneakers

meatsneakers Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB
    Yep, everything is up-to-date - I use the following:

-Combofix
    -Kaspersky AV (Online)
    -BitDefender (Online)
    -a-squared
    -Malwarebytes Ant-Malware

They all come up clean. I this may turn into a game of waiting for either a BIOS fix, a mobo fix or an ATI driver release that works for me.

3. meatsneakers

meatsneakers Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB
    I've tried that, to no effect.

I use partitions to keep my 1TB drive organized (games, weekly backups, page file, sample libraries etc each have a seperate partition - 6 in all). Keeping a large page file gives Windows plenty of room if it needs it, but keeps things neat, as defraging an 1TB is not fun, even if it's every few weeks :) Plus I don't think you can defrag a page file without going through the process of disabling it, restarting, defragging, then re-enabling and restarting. Considering it takes up 1/125th of the drive, I don't mind it.

4. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    usually that kind of lag is due something using hd same time

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I agree. Perhaps it would be a good idea to download a hard drive benchmarking program and what kind of results you get.

6. meatsneakers

meatsneakers Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB
    Using HDtune -

both 160GB ~80MB/s
    1TB ~90MB/s

The hard drives don't thrash when I see the lag.

7. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    How does the graph look? Are they really spikey?

If you replace it with the 8600....Is it still a problem?

8. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    Well for someone who thinks he knows it all, it is amazing every other Ati user doesn't have YOUR problem. You caused this, it is clear YOU don't want help, so HAVE FUN with YOUR stupidity. Trying to lecture me on firewalls and torrents....jeez zero relevance. It is obvious you have disabled a windows setting that is expected for it and Ati to work together to produce smooth dragging of windows/objects etc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  9. meatsneakers

meatsneakers Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB
    I don't know what your deal is exactly, but roughly half the posts on this and other ATI related forums are problems which have not been addressed by the driver team. Some headlines off of ATI's own forum:

-PWC HD4870 1GB PCS+ get BSOD "infinite loop"
    -9.2 problem - constant games freez/exit
    -GTA4 shadows + flickering
    -Blurry graphics after updating card driver

How is any of this the users fault? 10 to 1, they are running non-modified OSes. I can turn on every service listed on my machine, this does not fix my issue. This is obviously a driver, card or a mobo related problem. Again, my Nvidia cards didn't do any of this. The 8600GT is in a much older (P4), slower machine - running XP with the same services OFF as it is on this machine, yet its fast as can be expected.

I'm not 'schooling' you on anything, but coming in and saying, essentially, that shutting off unneeded services turns XP to 3.1 is foolish and mean-spirited; aka, flaming or trolling, take your pick. This isn't a monster gaming machine. It's a decent DAW though, and the tweaks, well documented ones, I did were to keep it clean. The relevance here was to give you a reason for why I would shut off unnessesary services.

Unlike throngs of other users, my 3D experience is great. It stomps the 8600GT, but the 2D is not on the same level, for me. Now - be decent and constuctive, like everyone else has been, or just leave this thread alone.

10. meatsneakers

meatsneakers Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB

The graph is solid. Lowest transfer rate was 70MB/s for both, over the course of 2 minutes.

I threw the 8600GT in after I installed 9.1 (and seeing no difference in 2D) and it worked as it did before. After an uninstall and Driver Sweeper, the 4850 went back in, and it was the same deal as before.

Thanks

11. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    Try switching your Appearance settings between Windows Aero and Windows Vista Basic, then learn to apologise.

12. meatsneakers

meatsneakers Member

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB
    :bang:

I use XP.

13. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    rofl

ok as I said mr. windows 3.1 user.

Have you tried installing older drivers like 7.?->8.6 or so? see if something more suited to your era works. If it does, then establish when it changes. Perhaps when people including MS dropped your OS like a stone.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Oh wow, you again. I suggest you lose the attitude if you want to stay a member here for any length of time.

15. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    you first.

16. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I hate it ask it of you, OP. But would it be possible for you to shrink your current partition just enough to install another instance of XP (You don't have to activate it) and see if a clean slate helps you out at all?

I realize you think it's a driver issue, but as this problem is very far from widespread (Never heard of it myself) I'd like to see how it behaves when on a new OS.

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    goodbye.

18. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    You cannot fault the man (woman?) for not having balls.

19. lyloid

lyloid Banned

GPU:
    Funny thing is I bet

"""Have you tried installing older drivers like 7.?->8.6 or so? see if something more suited to your era works. If it does, then establish when it changes."""

I helped more than anyone here yet.

20. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    It was only a temp ban, but seeing as you re-registered just to post how great you are, it's now permanent.