the 8.11 and 8.12 drivers are faster than the new drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by death_samurai, Mar 8, 2009.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Soi have played crysis WH and 3dmarks 06 on the new 9.1 and 9.2 and the scores are lower than the older drivers. So i reinstalled the 8.12 drivers and hey i got a higher score again.

Wtf newer drivers make a worse performance.

2. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Strange that my performance has improved, as well as no crashes in games like fallout 3 and Fear 2 since I started using 9.2.

3. master2k8

master2k8 Active Member

GPU:
    7950 1.1 Ghz Edition
    For my sys the 8.52-2 beta drivers were the fastest

4. Chodi

Chodi Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670oc
    The issue is not only speed, it is also stability. Most people are using LCD monitors these days which have a refresh rate of 60hz. What good is 300 fps if your monitor can only support 60? I know there are still a very few people using crt's, but it is very few. If you max out in your games at 60 fps enough is enough. Why all this talk about not enough speed. Sorry I'm venting. I am just tired of reading that some driver version is "faster" than another. Once your system can support 60fps on a constant basis all maxed out - who cares? I'm looking for stability in drivers and I think so are the folks at ATI.

5. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    That goes with the assumption at the resolution, AA, AF etc. that you play at you get 60FPS all the time.

If you are playing at 1920*1200 or 2560 etc. and far more intense games with settings quite high, most systems will NOT achieve 60FPS all the time, let alone some of the time. So if one driver gives you 60FPS while another driver gives you 50FPS, then speed matters, same for 24FPS vs 30FPS, or even minimums of 40 vs 30. So unless you minimums are 60FPS or higher, performance of course is an important factor.

Get some perspective before "venting".

6. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    3dmark 2006 is useless for GPU testing, CPU makes all the difference here, go do some gamebenches etc.....

7. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

That's true to a certain extent but all other variables were the same such as gpu, cpu speed, rams etc cept for the difference in drivers, hence i got a higher score for the earlier drivers and proves they make the gpu run faster than the later ones.

8. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    They might be slower in 3dm06, so what? As long as the engine used there is not used in anything else, it only tells you that the driver is a bit slower in 3dm06, and might be faster in everything else. If you are benching 3dm06 for records, then you might wanna look at other drivers, if you game you go for 9.2, especially if you are on CF/CFX ...

9. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I gave up doing all the benches a while back as it stability and smooth game play that interest me most and so far I've been able to accomplish both extremely well with the 9.2 in Crysis WH, F.E.A.R. 2, UT3 (Titan Pack) and Call of Duty World at War. I'm running 4xAA/16xAA in all games except Crysis WH and its set to 2xAA at 1680x1050.

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Same here, and I don't think 3DMark is the right tool to be using to gauge performance between such drivers, like others have said try a game or two as driver releases tend to have game optimizations included and not 3dmark enhancements most of the time. 3DMark is after all a synthetic benchmark.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009

11. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    8.12 hotfix2 driver is imho the best driver. (for vista64)
    No crashes (unlike 9.1, and 9.2) and decent performance.

I thought 9.2 was acceptable to, but this driver also crashes GTA4.

12. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Did you try the 9.2 with Catalyst A.I turned off? I can not get Crysis WH to load with it enabled under the 64 bit shortcut in the game. Disable and it loads fine.

13. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Nope haven't tried. Doing so reduces performance in half, so i prefer to stick to a driver that delivers high performance AND stability.

14. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Wouldn't hurt to try at least. I could tell no difference with it enabled or disabled performance wise in Crysis Warhead, except that the maps all loaded. That game set for 64 bit DX10 would only load a map maybe 2 out 10 tries with the Catalyst A.I. enabled.

15. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Turning off AI for a single 4xxx card and an x2 are very different. With the x2 you disable the second GPU, with the 4870 it only disables driver optimisation.

16. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    It is also that the faster drivers recover from fps dips faster and also have higher min fps wich in the end result in smoother gameplay. Obviously nobody would use a driver that crashes all the time, nobody even hinted that they would so not sure what your getting at here.

Personally I found 9.1 and 9.2 to be worse on my system then 8.12 HF was, with a large margin. Alot lower average fps and min fps in the games the driver said to have increased performance in with up to 10% from 8.12 and so on.

Now maybe I need to formate and reinstall the 9.2 but seems kinda silly that you should need a formate after only had ONE (1) driver previously installed on a fresh formate :x..

with 9.2 I had 5fps less average in World in conflict and alot lower min fps compared to 8.12
    with 9.2 textures where missing on rocks, character and ground in fallout3

Basically couldnt keep it, since it wasn't doing its job, sure it was stable but so was/is 8.12 :x..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  17. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    Didn't realize that and thanks for pointing it out.

18. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    i think people should mention about what res are they playing before saying 9.1 or 9.2 is crap... everybody talks about this game and that well but no mention the res..... i have a 17" lcd and my highest res is 1280x1024 and for me 9.2 reduced fps and 9.1 is the best with mainly gta4 for me... but ive seen that with higher res and latest games 9.2 is the best option...

19. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2
    I'm still using the 8.12 HF2 drivers. For me they seem more stable and faster than the 9.1 and 9.2 drivers. Though by no means are the 8.12 HF2 drivers perfect either, if I enabled my second monitor, I start getting ERROR 42s. I game at 2560x1600 with a 4870X2.

Unfortunately since buying my 4870X2, I seemed to have one issue or another with ATI's drivers. GPU clock bugs, flickering textures, GPU clock bugs, error 42s with multiple monitors, GPU clock bugs, etc. Dual GPUs sure has been a headache.

20. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Well if u read my 1st post i mentioned that crysis seems to play better too.

OKay let me elaborate more on crysis WH. When i used the 9.1 drivers the game was always and i meant always not in full screen mode. I went to options and the option was clicked for full screen. Yet it was not FS. so i had to unclick it. Apply it. The window shows again since it's no more in FS mode then click FS option again and finally in FS mode. 9.2 was worse the friggin game didn't even load.

OH yes i had to ensure vsync was ticked when using 9.1 drivers. IF not game slows down to a crawl. How can vsync be faster than non vsync?

NOn of that occured with the 8.12 drivers. Start crysis WH instant FS mode. Take note again for the 9.1 drivers my crysis WH was also in FS mode but it always did not load in FS mode.

OKay as for the other games. Well i think i completed fear 2 using 9.1 drivers. The rest of the games were last year's like cod world at war, prince of persia etc. The newest game i have now is warhammer 40k part2 and it runs fine on the 9.2 on xp. Anyway i doubt it affects games like that. Only benchmarks and graphic intensive games like crysis have the biggest differences.

Oh yes i just got pro evolution soccer 2009. Installed on my vista but del it. My vista has the 8.12 drivers and now i'm installing this game on my xp which has the 9.2 drivers. Yet i doubt there'll be any diff. Older games like AOE3 won't show any diff i believe since these drivers are too advance that they can render them properly i believe.

In short i expect the 9.2 to be better than the earlier ones and it failed on crysis WH and possibly the 2 3dmark versions 06 and vantage got a lower score and that's not a good sign for newer drivers.