Gym question: What does BCAA do

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by proFits, Mar 2, 2009.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I'm only 140lbs. I've been really sick the past three years and I still have another MRI coming next week. I can tell you right now; it's those damn drugs I have to take that totally depress my appetite and take away all motivation and desire; so, I've switched them around a bit and discontinued one that was making everything worse (doctor wanted me to INCREASE the dose rather than ease off and minimize withdrawal). These are samples that the pharmaceutical reps give to all the MD's to give to us "lab rats". He said he can't help me anymore!:biggun:
    I told him what I tell every other doctor: " I'll take my bodily feedback to assess my situation over a doctor's "opinion" - anyday. :)
    I need to gain back ~25lbs; then, I'll have some shape again. ;)

2. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i am on some meds as well and i do not eat at all during the day,i usually eat a sandwich or 2 around 1-2 am adn i awake at 5am si i eat basically once evry 24 hours,my weight rises by 2-4 pounds and then goes back to 215-220.Last summer i got down to 200 i think i may have even hit 198.But if i was to workout i have the bodily build to be massive but i am a bit lazy and the meds make it more so at times,I am also busy all day with the kids and by the time they are sleeping I just want to hit the PC for some relax time.

3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well I am still young at 21, but my body except maybe for my arms have the exact SHAPE I want (got to admit I find myself handsome but have worked out a lot to get there) so now all I want is a bit more legs, arms and forearms the rest is really proportionally right

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Master Guru

GPU:
    Intergrated (for now)
    Get a job in construction. When I started drylining at 18 I was 130lbs@5'9", 2.5 years later i'm the same height (damn you genetics!) but i'm just shy of 165lbs with big shoulders, chest and arms from hauling plasterboards and metal studs about all day. :D

Last year I was paying £60 a month for a gym membership, going 3 times a week and didn't get anything out it because even though I was spending 3-4 hours a night down there (an hour of squash/racketball, 2 hour workout, last hour in the sauna) it wasn't pushing me as much as a day on site did.

5. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    You want to be an octopus? :banana:

6. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    more size ... bigger ... yeah I guess that didnt make much sense -_-

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I've done my share of construction grunt work. The toughest job (daily work) I ever did was to empty a FULL boxcar of 100lb bags of flour - entirely by hand. I was a bit stiff the next day; but I was in such good shape, it didn't bother me. Of course, when I was 14 on a foster farm, I (at 101 lbs) was throwing ~75lb bales of hay three or four high, when a lot of adults would have trouble even lifting the thing. :)
    The trouble with many people and their exercise is that as soon as they start to feel the least bit tired - they quit! That is exactly NOT the way to build muscle. They only grow if you push them.
    BTW: all you lazy bastards! Rigorous exercise releases "Endorphins" in the brain; which has a similar effect to "morphine", which is why the more exercise you do - the better you feel. :bigsmile:
    Anyone who bicycles regularly will know exactly what I'm talking about.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Hell, I know what you mean just from fencing and whenever I do weights.

Fencing is surprisingly hard work. It quickly knackers you, and you just have to keep pushing. It works wonders for endurance and reflexes. Not so much strength (hence the weight training as well).

9. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I prefer the 'speedbag'
    If you'd like a real challenge; try hitting the speedbag for 15min. nonstop - BLINDFOLDED! :banana: Now that's endurance and reflexes. My personal record is 90min - with my eyes open - of course. ;)
    BTW: Next year when I'm 60, I'm going to contact "Guiness Book" and see if the blindfolded record is something they would go for.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  10. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i agree with Randy
    but i say try hitting a heavy bag for a minute straight like you were fighing for your lifeThat is tuff crap.
    You will quickly see how much stamina prof fighters must have.

For kicks after a min in disconnect the bag and keep bear hugging it and tossing it over your head for another minute and see if you last.

You can be as big as a brick house but without the endurance you aren't worth squat.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    just take steroids and be done with it already. thats what i did, enough with that BS worthless powder crap, seriously, that stuff is minimalistically effective at best. your better off to just eat right instead, most of it is all marketing BS anyway with absolutly no real independant testing proving anything of claims made.

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    We used to have a kickboxing bag at the gym, but the idiots removed it. Try dancing around that for 20min straight (full out - no slacking)
    My body's quite a mess ATM; but as soon as I get back to my regular workouts, I quarantee you my stamina will be back to the level of a 25 year old. I've always had great stamina. I can still run around all day with a frisbee while all the young punks are laying down complaining that they're so exausted and I'm thinking - that's really pitifull for peeps in their twenties!

13. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    i can paly feesbie all day long or handball but hitting a bag staright in my 16-19 age period i was at 2 mins after 2 months of trainign and that was hard crap

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I've always had trouble with my wrists and of course bad shoulders don't help at all, because most of the power comes from the triceps and shoulders/back. I have amazing power (had, anyway) for my size, but I can't use most of it because of all my broken body parts. At least I've still got my speed. ;)
    BTW: I have a signature dismount for my bicycle. I push it out from under me and grab the seat - like jumping off a horse backwards. I'm not bragging, but a lot of peeps seem to be impressed by this old guy dismounting in a way they've never seen. :banana:
    Actually, I'm just too lazy to stop the bike and climb off and (this is very important - think about it) it's one more thing that helps with speed and coordination. Any exercise where you have to move or react very fast is going to make you faster. ;)

15. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

16. k-1

k-1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI SC
    If you have been training for under a year seriously, you should not take anything. Compound exersises (suats, deadlifts, pullups, weighted dips, power cleans, barbell rows) should be at the core of your training to put on size. For diet plenty of chicken, milk and eggs and you will gain as long as you eat and rest.

17. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    Out of curiosity and I've been thinking about this everytime I've been going to sleep; do you think sleeping on your arm or sleeping in bad position on your upper body, etc could interfere with the growth of the muscles in question?

If you think about it, lying on an arm can't be very good for blood flow and the actual muscles growing bigger!
    Thoughts?

18. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Very likely why I have such small ass arm when I have such a buffed up core torso (because I do sleep on my arms) problem is I cant find any other way

Anyway my diet or exercises are not in question

only that supplement that you guy seems to be saying is pretty much not worth it unless you're a teen

19. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I've been sleeping on my arms for almost 6 decades! Now they're all gone! :eek:

20. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    What are your thoughts on these http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/ ?

Each bottle has over 50 gram's of sugar in them! Although having some sugar after a work-out is good, 50 grams seems a little much?
    I could get any amount of bottles for 90p each but heh.