Dual OS question

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by C DuDe, Mar 3, 2009.

1. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a 1Tb Seagate and spliting it up into 2 500gg partitions putting Vista on one partition and XP Pro on the other.

Is it possible to install Vista 64bit on 1 patition and XP Pro 32bit on the other
    or would I have to make (for example) 1 200gg primary partition and install Vista and then install XP Pro after splitting the primary into 2 100gg drives?

Greetz,

CD

2. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah you can dual boot on one HDD, its upto you how big you want your partitions. 500GB each is not problem if that's what you want. Are you installing this new hard drive alongside an existing drive? Or are you swapping your current one out for this?

Reason i ask is you ask about creating partitions. This is handled during the install process of Vista and XP thus you don't need to install the HDD alongside an existing drive and create partitions manually.

3. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    I'm going to swap the old one for the new one and use the old 500Gg as a external storage. (pictures and stuff).

Partitions
    1) Primary Vista C ( 100Gg
    2) Data Vista D ( 375Gg
    3) Win XP E ( 100Gg
    4) Data XP F ( 375Gg
    5) Softlib for both G ( rest

At least thats the setup I'd like to have.
    I've heard I need to make 1 big partition and then shrink it to add the second OS . Would it be possible to just install Vista on 1 partition then after create the partitions above and then choose a partition to install XP on?

Greetz,

CD

4. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I would just go for this:

1) Vista C (64 Gb)
    2) XP D (64 Gb)
    3) The rest (whatever Gb)
    4) More rest (500 Gb drive)

You could easily get away with 32 Gb for each of the Windows drives if you don't use a lot of programs that install stuff to those drives (eg Visual Studio). That is, provided you install almost every program to E or F. I've never needed multiple versions of programs installed when dual booting.

You can set up as many partitions as you like when you install Windows, then pick the one you want to actually install into.

5. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    ok, thx