help needed in building a gaming rig for around 10k

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by madcrazyboys, Mar 1, 2009.

1. madcrazyboys

madcrazyboys Active Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    woooooooooooooooooofa...

after 3 months of reading the reviews and analyzing guru3d, here i am posting my very first post...

yippieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

little intro for me (though nt needed :3eyes:)
    i was a hard core gamer for almost 3 yrs and havnt played a single game in past 4 yrs as i gt responsibilities to work n feed ma mouth ma self :bang:
    and here i am after 4 yrs, wanna build an absolute hardcore with most of earnings( almost 65-70% :blunt: )

here goes...
    am ready to put some 10-12k to cover up everything
    following is my configuration upon my own analysis :3eyes:

Processor - Intel core i7 extreme - 3.2Ghz
    Motherboard - Asus Rampage II/Asus P6T/Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME/Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (not sure abt the availability of rampageII in my country india :bawl:, which one wld be better among the other three? )
    Graphic Card - Nvidia(always best) 295 * 2. which one be better ASUS or Gigabyte ?
    Memory - Corsair Dominator/OCZ Tri-channel 12gb(6 * 2gb) 2000MHz (i dont find low latency mem with higher frequency... which combination wld be better here? )
    HDD - 80GB intelx25 SSD boot drive, 2 * 256GB Game Data Drive(can this be replaced by western digi 300GB 10000rpm hdd?), 1TB western Digi HDD for data storage
    Chassis - Antec 900/Antec 1200/ Coolermaster HAF 932/ Cosmos S
    Power Supply - Antec /Coolermaster 1000W
    CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212
    Monitor - as of no idea, suggest one plz... i wld also be using my pc for viewing TV...
    Soundcard - Creative X-Fi fatality champion series
    Keyboard & Mouse - Good Gaming series frm Logitech

DID I MISS ANYTHING...? :coffee:

any help for this wld be much appreciated and reward with a thanks... :angel:

2. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    this oughta be fun!

I'd definitely go with a nice 30" monitor. I love my NEC 30", though you might even want to check out Eizo's for extreme extremeness. But there's some other nice 30" monitors too. (Heard good things about Samsung.) On that note, I'm not totally up to speed on the new graphics cards, but my impression is that the 4870X2 still retains the performance crown when you're talkin' 2560x1600 with lotsa AA and stuff.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  3. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    Processor - Intel core i7 920
    Motherboard - Asus Rampage II
    Graphic Card - 2X EVGA gtx 285
    Memory - Corsair Dominator 2x 3x2GB kit 2000MHz
    HDD - 80GB intelx25 SSD boot drive, 2x western digital velociraptor, 1TB western Digi HDD for data storage
    Chassis - Silverstone tj-07
    Power Supply - Coolermaster 1000W
    CPU Cooler - Coolermaster Hyper 212
    Monitor - SAmsung T260HD
    Keyboard & Mouse -Logitech G15+G9

config 2 if u want to go hard core

Processor - Intel core i7 Extreame
    Motherboard - Asus Rampage II
    Graphic Card - 2X EVGA gtx 285
    Memory - Corsair Dominator 2x 3x2GB kit 2000MHz
    HDD - 80GB intelx25 SSD boot drive, 2x western digital velociraptor, 1TB western Digi HDD for data storage
    Chassis - Silverstone tj-07
    Power Supply - Coolermaster 1000W
    CPU Cooler - SSPhaze cooling
    Monitor - SAmsung T260HD
    Keyboard & Mouse -Logitech G15+G9
    Coolingfull water cooling with water cooled Motherboard + GFX cards and then CPU on SSphaze cooling

thats what i think if u want a killer right the top one would be my choice

4. madcrazyboys

GPU:
    HD5850
    thanks for the reply bro... being a newbie, thgt ppl mgt nt reply fast :3eyes:

regarding monitor, heard dell is going good. how abt dat...?

and for geforce 295, hehe... i kinda guy who wld jus buy wateva dats new frm a trust worthy source... say nvidia...

talking of 4570x2, how abt 3 * 285...?
    also is 3 way sli better than quad core...? jus a doubt :3eyes:

5. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    yeah, I shoulda mentioned that.... I found great things said about the Dell 30" when I was researching ('bout 8 months or so ago). Definitely worth checking out.

6. madcrazyboys

GPU:
    HD5850
    but guess wat, dell doesnt hav deir monitors in india :cry:
    evn if i come to US n get it, damn. i gotta pay almost 100% as import duty here :cry:

anyways, gotta check it once again...

7. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    big time ouch on the import duty.

A guy over at XS did some testing with a 4870X2 quadfire setup versus GTX295 Tri-sli at 2560x1600

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219338&highlight=quadfire

.... hmmmmnn... GTX295 pretty impressive. I thought for sure I'd seen some reviews (more game-oriented) where the GTX295 kinda ran out of gas. I recall that the thinking was that it was because the 4870X2 had more memory.

edit: wait a minute... I'll try to find links to the tests but now I'm recalling that the differnece at 2560x1600 was seen in the minimum frame rates, so weren't as obvious on tests that just used averages.... I think - I'll see if I can find 'em

8. madcrazyboys

GPU:
    HD5850
    i preferred 295 coz all the reviews(tomshardware, guru3d, evn frm digit magazine) took side on quad 295...

but personally i preferred and evn luved the idea of 3 way sli wid 285...

also since the very beginning i hadn't used ati/amd... so i am nt sure whether i cant handle their way of operations... but i believe there shd be nt much diff between ati and nvidia... so have to hav a test run on that too...

9. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    yeah, I can understand wanting just to go with the devil you know

I think any of the setups you mentioned would be absolutely killer

10. madcrazyboys

GPU:
    HD5850
    actually i worked in uk and jus returned to india permanently...
    it ll take a min of one+ month for me get all ma money transferred to here... so gt some time to work the config...

also any updates frm you, when u get more details, wld also help :cheers:

11. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    in quad sli you get awful microstuter you also get it with one gtx 295 but normal sli there is hardly any if any at all i dont get any and quad gtx 285's wold be verry good with a I7 but you would need a bigger power suply and if you get the i7 Extream get SSphaze cooling if u dont want that coolig then dont bother with I7 extream that realy just for bech markers who want to hit the higest over clock and you will need phaze change for that

and the mother board is over kill but you can never have a good enough board also get a 1200w psu if ure going TRI sli 285's (they will beat 2x gtx295's)and i think you should also get 2 SSD's so you can raid the 2 80gb SSD's and then that will be blisteringly fast

12. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    for the CPU, there was a good thread recently with some good arguments for choosing an i7 920 rather than the 965.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=289105

from what I can gather from here and a couple other forums, 920 > 965 seems to be the general consensus among the hardcore

13. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Hi there madcrazyboy,
    You have designed a good rig but it is just a waste of money.
    Here is something decent.

Processor : Core I7 920 2.66GHZ 8MB Smart Cache,
    Motherboard: Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset,
    Ram : 6GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1800 MHZ [3X2048MB],
    Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster T240,
    Power Supply : Cooler Master Real Power M850,
    Display Card : XFX Nvidia 285GTX 1GB,
    Hard Disk : Western Digtal Caviar Black 2 X 1TB,
    Cabinet : Cooler Master HAF 932,
    Cooler : Cooler Master V8,
    Sound Card : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1,
    Speakers : Creative Inspire T7900 7.1,
    Cd Rom : LG DVD Writer,
    Mouse : OCZ Laser Gaming Mouse,
    Keyboard : OCZ Illuminati.

Btw who told you that dell is not available in India? Dell is available all over India. Dell has some great 30 inch screens.
    If you can't find dell, Samsung 240HD would be a good choice.
    If you can't find HD series in Samsung i suggest the T240.
    Great gaming and Regards.
    Virendra.

14. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    I gotta go with virendra here.
    According to your own post you had no time for gaming for four years seeing as you had to care for yourself, and now you wanna wipe out 65-70 percent of your earnings at one go on an overpowered gaming rig?
    His rig will give you basically excellent performance, and yet providing you with alot of saving for a rainy day, which, in these days of a failing economy, you could use.

Despite being a party pooper, I say save a little of your hard earned cash and put some aside.

Noam

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm guessing that's 10K USD right ... damn, I rather buy a car instead... lol. Sure, it may be crap, but at least I get to go somewhere w/ it =D!

deltatux

16. kvkx71

kvkx71 Active Member

GPU:
    3x BFG Geforce 280GTX
    Can you Quad SLI 280/285s? I never looked into I'd guess not as I've never seen it?

And to the op your best video card bet is TRI SLI 285s, that will be the fastest in real world use.

17. dipanzan

dipanzan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
  18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yep i agree with this one. good cases are antec 1200 or 902 or haf 932. 120 extreme heatsink with this fan is what id use for a cooler

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2537.html

i have this and its a brilliant cooler. great for pushing that 920. but u will need a corei7 bracket. very easy install onto a backplate.

285 or 295 x1 is plenty. wouldnt bother with 2xgpus. more hassle than its worth i think.

heres some good screens..

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141998

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123982

try and get a 24inch non tn panel. (i have the second one and its lovely but it isnt true 75 hz refresh as it says...its 60mhz..)

id check out samsung 24inchers. if u can find a screen which is true 75mhz refresh might help when u use vsync. atm i dont use it..

19. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    For a hardcore gaming system, 24" monitor would be good. But if you go 30", I'd wager you wouldn't regret it. I went from a 19" n o ki a CRT to a 30" and at this point wonder how I ever used anything smaller. Gotta have the GPU horsepower to drive the high res though - I'm going to upgrade mine soon, knock wood. (I actually thought a 30" might be too overwhelming - maybe at first, but that went away after less than a day.)

20. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    He's got 10k, why aren't we getting this man some SSDs?

EDIT: Wait, no. Let's take this opportunity to test the scaling of 5 to 10 Intel SSDs in a RAID array. PLEASE HE HAS THE MONEY.