GTX 295 Quad SLI won't work. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by truthbethysword, Feb 22, 2009.

1. deacon0921

deacon0921 New Member

GPU:
    2 gtx 295
    Yeah ok..

YEah, and have the same problem you are now... please popcorn.. show me one person running this kind of power with 12 gb. ram none the less with an 850 watt psu. if i were you i would try psu first if that doesnt work, wait for a bios update but im pretty sure this is your prob.

2. truthbethysword

truthbethysword Member

GPU:
    ASUS/GTX 295/1795
    I want to believe that it is just that the BIOS doesn't support the cards in SLI yet, however I have a hard time waiting and trying nothing so I am obtaining a 1300 Watt PSU. I will also eargerly await a new BIOS update to come out from ASROCK. I will keep this thread apprised once I have the PSU in my rig as well as when the new BIOS is released.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I beg to differ. On the quad SLI page you linked it clearly has the GTX 295 with 182.22 driver.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/vga.asp?Model=X58 SuperComputer&s=1366&c=SLI4

»Compatible VGA cards under Microsoft® Windows® Vista™
    Vendor Chipset Model BIOS Driver Note
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 ASUS ENGTX295/2DI/1792MD3 P1.40 181.22 2-way

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GX2 SPARKLE-GF-9800GX2/1024M-GDDR3 P1.20 180.48 2-way
    2-way means useing Quad SLI technology with two VGA cards.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

BTW you don't mention this but are you using the 181.22 drivers?

5. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    if all els fails, i'de say 850 watts is kinda pushing it. with 4 GPU's each sucking almost as much power as a GTX 280/260...

i mean, just tri-sli GTX 280/260 most people get a 1000watt+ PSU.

though i might be wrong, if the bios update and none of the other solutions work, i'de try hooking up an old power supply and paper-clip jumping it and see if the PC will run.

good luck :)

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Remember you need to be standing with one foot in a pan a warm saltwater to ensure a proper ground to get the paper-clip jumping to work...:nerd:

7. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    whats all this nonsense that i see all the time pointing to the psu ?. He has a quality psu from corsair which is fine. I know cause i had 2 x 8800gtx sli with 4 dvd drives and 4 hds and lights and 8 fans running of my old 850 watt TT thermaltake with no issues at all. Also i OC as well no drama.

It won't Quad SLI because as the manufacturer stated only only 9800x2 so either they release a new bios its up them. But they have no obligation to if you stick 2 x 9800x2 for Quad sli and it works. So good luck with Asrock costumer service and support

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Do you know the difference in power usage betwen an 8800GTX and a GTX 295? I didn't think so...

9. lightmaker

lightmaker Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4850 512MB Gigabyte
    it's not the PSU .
    try leaving just one stick of ram , and connect everything to your main PSU .

It might very well be a setting in the bios regarding memory .

10. deacon0921

deacon0921 New Member

GPU:
    2 gtx 295
    if one stick of ram is the only way to get it to run... other than pulling one of the cards, what in bios would need to be changed? out of curiosity?

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Just grab a 5.25" slide in power supply booster like newegg has. VisionTech has 1 and FSP has one.

12. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC

depends on what the sticker on the actual stick of ram tells you to set it at for timings and voltage. and also to what sort of memory configuration your using. for example if your filling all your slots with higher than jedec clocked ram at large densities, you may need additional tweaking to get it stable depending on what motherboard chipset your running.

13. truthbethysword

truthbethysword Member

GPU:
    ASUS/GTX 295/1795
    Ok. I have procured a 1300 Watt power supply and that was not it, as many of you have said. I have supplemented power from two separate powersupplies. I am running 181.22 drivers. I do have the most current BIOS P1.40. Could this be BIOS settings. I have restored to defaults multiple times.

14. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    did you try booting with 1 stick of ram ?

did you set your memory in the bios to the correct values before you attempted to install an os?

15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It's not the psu that's stopping sli from working as there's enough power for idle mode, but when you do get sli working you'll need the extra power for your system.

try testing those cards in a friends system or on another motherboard, because if that motherboard is sli capable then it should have worked, so could just be a bad motherboard. Try another sli bridge if you have one too.

16. kvkx71

kvkx71 Active Member

GPU:
    3x BFG Geforce 280GTX
    Just get a new motherboard imao. That 1300watt psu must have cost near as much as a new board.

17. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Well when buying high end gear .... ASROCK says it all. Also make sure the 1300watt is a brand name with enough amps on the rails. If its generic then Asrock i told you so.

18. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i say its the psu. i only read the 1st page so oops if this was answered

wtf is the deal with the asrock with dual 295 rig??? thats insane

19. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295/8800gtx physx
    Hah, yeah. An 850 won't cut it for GTX295's in SLI at all. I watched that review that funny english guy does of hardware, and he had a thing hooked up to watch how much power the two consumed. They ranged from 700-900 watts on their own.

Kinda made me feel like my 1200 wasn't gonna cut it when those gtx300's come out. ; ;

20. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    the 850 watt will cover it just fine all these psu people get over it, you do not need 100 watt psu for simple systems. you need a lot of amps on the 12 volt rail and the corsair has it. it is an nvidia driver issue like hilbert said. sli is driver based. when vista came out i had sli and it would not work with 4 gigs of ram, plus it would not work with my x-fi soundcard, i put an ati videocard in it with ati drivers and everything worked fine.
    quad sli is a waste of money just like 3way sli is a waste. it is too dependent on to many things.

it might be a bois problem as well with that much ram and sli or even a vista issue. plus it says you are running the ram at 1600 try lowering it down and see if that helps.
    The problem is there are so many things it can be.