Lowering minimal fanspeed (driver settings)

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stokvis, Feb 26, 2009.

1. stokvis

stokvis New Member

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX+ TOP DK
    I have three fan speed profiles, low (35%), medium (50%) and high (80%). In 2D, even 35% is not really needed and causes noise that I can clearly hear because the rest of my system is really quiet. Unfortunately, I can't lower the fans under 35%. (I want it at 25% where I can't hear it anymore).
    I can move the slider to 25%, but it just bumps back to 35%.

The only way I can lower it to 25% is when I fix the fanspeed through low-level fan control, but I don't want it fixed at 25%.

What I want, is it possible and how?

I run a 9800GTX+ from Asus and use Riva Tuner 2.24.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You cannot bypass the driver's fan speed limits if you are using driver-level fan control.

3. rek981

rek981 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX+
    I have done exactly what you want using rivatuner on my 9800GTX+. I have idle fan speeds at 25%.

Basically, you need to create Launcher profiles for the desired low-level fan speeds. In your case, you would create a launcher profile for 25% fan speed. Then you use the rivatuner Scheduler to launch the 25% fan speed when you desire. I have mine set to launch 25% fan speed under a threshold temperature I set.

This guide here is a little old, but will give you detailed instructions on how to do it: http://www.vaguetech.com/index.php?pageid=rt207

I have set mine up as follows:
    • 25% low level fan speed from 0 to 50.9 degrees
    • 26% low level speed at 51.0 to 51.9 degrees
    • 27% low level speed at 52.0 to 52.9 degrees
    • 28% low level speed at 53.0 to 53.9 degrees
    • 29% low level fan speed at 54.0 to 54.9 degrees
    • 30% low level fan speed at 55.0 to 55.9 degrees (the above makes for a smooth acoustic transition when the card is at idle)
    • When passing 56.0 degrees in an upward direction, there is a threshold trigger to turn on a driver level fan speed of 35% (This is needed for some reason to activate the automatic fan control below)
    • Automatic driver level fan control from 57.0 degrees to 200 degrees
    • When passing 56.0 degrees in an downward direction, there is a threshold trigger to turn on low-level fan speed of 30% (This is needed for some reason to reactivate the low-level mode)

I have a really quiet system (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52431&sid=dc164c299532bdd0b61fbbbebcdf3f15). Before, the 9800GTX+ at idle was the loudest part of my system. Now my PC is barely audible at idle.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Ross

EDIT: Updated my scheduler settings a bit, seems to works a bit better

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  4. stokvis

stokvis New Member

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX+ TOP DK
    I have done the same as you did :). Only problem is, I can't get the fans to spin @ 25%, so I can't make a profile of 25%. My lowest setting is 35%, the fans won't go lower on driver level. The slider in Riva Tuner hop back to 35% if I set them below 35%.
    Surely there must be a way to get the fans spinning @ 25% on driver level??

I am not able to go low level auto mode. See screenshots below. I have enabled autofanspeedcontrol = 3, rebooted, reinstalled drivers etc. The auto-mode won't show itself... Could it be my Asus 9800GTX+ has this disabled through it's bios in some way?

But I read it's best not to use low level control but use driver level anyway... But I really want 25% fanspeed enabled :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Unwinder

9800 seies lack external hardware fan controller and don't have automatic hardware fan control possibility. You're not supposed to have this option.

6. rek981

rek981 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX+
    As you said, you will NOT be able to set the fan speed lower than 35% using driver level controls. You need to make a custom fan profiles at the desired speed using the low-level fan control panel. Then use launcher and scheduler to run those low-speed fan profiles for your desired temps. Trust me, it works. I don't have time right now, but I can post more detailed instructions with pics later if you still need it. Let me know.

7. raken

raken Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1050 Ti 4GB
    You might have the 3 in the wrong spot. On mine I have it in the first one you come to in PowerUser and it says AllowBinaryFanSpeedControl 3. I have a 9800GTX+ and have launcher fan speeds from 30% up.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. Unwinder

Don't play with PowerUser blindly! As I've said above, 9800GTX series DON'T have automatic fan controller so you're not supposed to see low-level "auto" options. And AllowBinaryFanSpeedControl is a boolean value so entering 3 there is just a nonsense.