Your Opinion: SONY PRS-505/SC Reader Digital Book

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cybermancer, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I played around with one in waterstones today, I was impressed with the screen, I couldn't figure out the controls, and changing pages was rather slow as was the menu.

I would love to get one, but at £200 that's FAR too pricey, maybe for about £100.

3. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    I will always prefer the look, feel and smell of a real book...:)

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    computers computer books. i strongly advise against. YOU WILL BECOME CYBERMAN!

6. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    I used to try to read books on my computer monitor and that got my eyes bleeding. If you have a chance to get away from an lcd screen, TAKE IT! In other words, stick with paper books, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to stare yet at another screen.

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I hate reading (lengthy articles or even novels) on my monitor, too, alphaphotek, but this device is really awesome. I played with one in a store for about 30 minutes and read several reviews and it doesn't make your eyes tired at all. Maybe in the same way as reading a 'real' book does. It's probably because of the way how this ebook reader works. Once the page is loaded on the screen, it doesn't get refreshed anymore and therefore doesn't use any battery life either. On one charge it's supposed to last 7,500 page turns. Even if it maybe won't reach that in real life, it's still an impressive number.

Regarding the statement that real books are better than ebooks, I guess, that's arguable. As I said, I do read a lot (currently about one book with 300 - 400 pages a week), at least compared to most people I know, and my bookshelves are overflowing. Not only that, but quite frankly I don't have any more room for new shelves. Besides that, I do love my books and do take good care of them, instead of reading them once and then throwing them away. Therefore this ebook reader would be a nice alternative, I think, since the ebooks don't really take up any space (only one the HDD :D). What I would probably do, is to get special editions of books that have some kind of value or meaning to me, but for my daily dose of the written word, I will probably go with the Sony.

p.s.: Regarding the price point, scatman839, I kind of agree with you, but my birthday is pretty close to Christmas and instead of getting small gifts from all my relatives, I thought it might be a smart move, to ask them to throw their money together, and get me this reader. I hope, it works out, though. :D

8. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Man as long as it doesn't make your eyes tired, it seems that it would fit you perfect for your needs. Would you mind sharing the best books you read this year?

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That would be almost everything from Charles Stross (especially Accelerando and his short story collection Toast), Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon (takes some time to get into it, but then it's awesome, imo), John Shirley's Eclipse Trilogy, besides that I completely re-read my William Gibson and Bruce Sterling collection and just love those two authors.

Additionally, I read a few different authors here and there like Jonathan King, Philip Kerr, but also J.D. Salinger's "The catcher in the rye" and James Cochrane's collection of "American Short Stories"...

10. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    very nice, always looking for new authors to read. "The Cather in the Rye" was like the first book I read in english, back in highschool. Thanks for suggestions, and hopefully santa will drop off that e-book for ya, def looks better thank kindle.

11. daringone

daringone Member

GPU:
    ATI All-in-wonder
    I love my sony ebook.

Even though I recently did purchase a Kindle2, just for the text-to-speech and wifi function.

[​IMG]

12. daringone

daringone Member

GPU:
    ATI All-in-wonder
    I love my sony ereader.....but I did just but a kindle 2 for my girlfriend.

[​IMG]