Need marathon video card exercise program

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by linyanti, Jan 6, 2009.

1. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    Is there a benchmark videocard program that will run for hours on end? I like to use 3D Mark Vantage to exercise the videocard after setting some higher gpu clocks. But under "options" it will default to three "loops" even if I enter :question:"999".

My objective is to find a 3D videocard stress program that will thrash the videocards for hours on end.

I do not use the Everest CPU stress function much. It stresses the CPU at 100 percent until stopped but it just does the cpu.

2. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Folding @ Home

3. centuryman007

centuryman007 Member

GPU:
    Asus HD 7990
    ATI tool artifact detector thing? works for me, infact it picks up things no other game/program does.

4. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Centuryman, thanks for the suggestion. I looked around at the different things but they look like they will actually finish something. I want something that goes on forever.

Rochin, I downloaded folding and then found out it was the cpu one. I uninstalled that one and installed the 6.2 systray gpu one. It is working hard. My gpu temp is 70 with the fan up high and it usually does not get that high gaming. I am running 280 ns/day. The only problem is that it will not work with sli so my other gpu temp is 61 which is kind of idle. To make it use both gpu's is a hassle from what I can tell with hooking up another monitor cable and disabling sli.

But it is an amazing gpu workout. 4 million iterations performed so far and the target is 250 million tonight. I googled the gene and there are other people working on it. It seems that they have to do numerous runs of the same gene folding to get a reproducible result. I remember in physics measuring billions of dps (disintegrations per second) in a short period of time but radiation can be very fast and less ambiguous.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

5. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
  6. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Thank you Da{N}ka. I fired it up and it is working both videocards. Plus the folding program is working also.

It is beating the cards up big time. I put the multisampling to 16x and the temps are getting into the high 70's! Awesome.

I wanted this sort of workout since I want to make sure that a gpu overclock can handle extended gaming. We have probably all had the problem of being in a great game and then getting a BSOD and maybe or maybe not being able to get back into it.

Now I can work these cards out on the virtual gpu test track while doing other things before strapping on the headset.

7. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Video Memory Tester (VMT), its like an Prime95 for gpu almost.

8. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    HaZe303, is this the program you are mentioning?

http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

I will look into it if that is the one.

right now things are quite muscular. Both the folding and the rthdribl work on only one video card each but they use a different videocard so both are cranking hard.

If I show the "display" for folding then one of my cpu cores goes up to one hundred percent and stays there. The same thing happens to another cpu core if I go to 1920 by 1200 display resolution for the rthdribl program. Blasting those two cores was not the goal as much as really cooking the gpu's. there is a fine line between the beneficial effect of melting away those leaking microscopic solder bridges and the other possiblity of destroying the device. Audio equipment always sounds better after it has been burned in for awhile and it seems that these cards do better with age.

9. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
  10. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    First I would like to apologize for belaboring this driver thread with more of a videocard issue that is just tangentially related to drivers.

Arctucas, that video card stability test is crushing! I only wish that I could leave my body at the gym for these workouts and then come back with it already exercised.

The Video Card Stability test got the temps to 80 pretty quickly. It is really frying it. The difference between this and the rthdribl program is interesting. The Video Card Stability will cook the card but the rthdribl is easy to set to crash the system and lead to a nvidia display error and memory dump.

But they both just work on "Card 1". The Folding@Home works on "Card 2" so that I can get a pretty good workout by running folding@home and then one of the other two programs. But Folding at Home is designed to back off from pushing it too hard so that card just gets into the mid 70's.

Thanks everyone, it looks like my workout regimen is complete.

One last question. Is there a Vista Gadget or other desktop monitor that shows the Video Processor usage? Like the CPU usage gauges. Everest has temperature and voltage monitors but not gpu percent usage.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  12. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Cybermancer, thank you for the perfhud6. I installed it and watched the video that comes with it. Amazing to watch. But way over my head.

The gpu vista gadget is great. The temps show up when I run precision tuner but I do not turn precision tuner on all the time. Plus the graphic is done perfectly.

It also showed me Hobby Lobby and the german web site that had the gadget. Google translate certainly helps.

http://blog.orbmu2k.de/

Post Script;
    After some searching it seems that there is no good way to have a gpu usage gauge comparable to a cpu usage gauge. "FPS" remains the best indicator as to how hard the gpu's are working. I was able to tweak the FRAPS program (a very nice program). On the second page, checking the box that says, "Monitor Desktop Window Manager" will always show an FPS indicator even when there are no 3D applications showing on the screen.

For example, right now it is only showing 25 FPS while just on a web page. In games it is 100 most of the time. It may be that it is just 2D or it may be those similies that are jumping around.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  13. piotrek

piotrek Banned

GPU:
    GTX295
    Crysis Warhead Benchmark Tool on several maps can give you lots of stress + you have the possibility of endless looping. still i found that just playing crysis for 30minutes+ and just going for graphic intense playing at extreme settings will stress test the gpu and the complete system more than just running furmark or anything else.
    overclocks that run stable on furmark aren't always crysis stable in my case.

14. Digibetus

Digibetus Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super 8GB
    I'm surprised no one came up with OCCT. The videocard tests are still pretty new but seem to do the job very well. I've gotten a 9800GTX+ over 90C while it hardly reaches 60C even with games like Fall Out 3.
    Get it here:
    http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

15. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Thank you Digibetus, I will check it out.

Piotrek, I don't have Crysis. I just downloaded the Crysis demo today and then got Crysis Benchmark Tool 1.05 to work on it. That has up to 99 loops. It got things going. Thanks.

16. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    occt ;>

it also comes with memory test for gpu now 8x00 series or higher only tough due cuda.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009