HyperMemory and GTAIV..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xcalibur+, Feb 8, 2009.

1. xcalibur+

xcalibur+ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4670 512 DDR3
    I have hypermemory activated on my rig and it shows 1024mb memory size:

[​IMG]

GTAIV still reads 500mb of size. when i add -norestrictions and -nomemrestrict, i'm able to set the texture to 'high' (it does past 500mb but still far below 1024mb..). The game still runs fine with no performance lost. but every half an hour it freeze and crash.

does my 2 gigs of system memory is too low? (hypermemory cuts it down to 1.5 gigs..) or my system can't handle it on high anyway?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, the 4670 really isn't good enough to run GTA IV on high settings. And it's a horribly buggy game, it crashes for no apparent reason for a lot of people. I doubt your system's at fault.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Hypermemory runs of your system ram thats way slower than your Vram so its pointless.

4. Boemlauwe_Bas

Boemlauwe_Bas Member

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    The funny thing with GTA 4 is that it isn't really GPU dependent.
    But you should take it's memory warnings VERY seriously (If you want to avoid the crashes)

I had my share of bloodshed dealing with the GFX settings in GTA, simply because I (yeah!)
    find it VERY hard to believe that one needs MORE that 768mb of GFX card Memory to be able to use all the 'High/Highest'
    settings at 1920x1200 without the usage of AA/AF.

(School shootings related to GTA ? Finaly I understand, it's the GFX Setup.. not the gameplay!)
    (after 2 hours of tuning, a single crash can make a man *snap* :D)

First download the latest update for GTA 4 (v1.0.2.0)
    (Since you bought it off course, using the cracked update from razor is against the law, in case you didn't know that :3eyes:)

It gives you more settings to tweak & brings some Rendering optimizations.
    At last I found peace in the following setup....

Still, it's pretty messed up that one may need a Nvidia Quadro FX 5800 Card wich comes with 4GB to be able to run it maxed @ 2560 x 1600 !@#$ :bang:
    Also, explaining to you're mom/girlfriend/woman/realdoll that you had to buy a $3499,- video card might cause some serious frictions.

The fact GTA doesn't see the 1gb might be because it emulates the GFX mem from the system ram. (Which is also much slower)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009

5. xcalibur+

xcalibur+ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4670 512 DDR3
    i've already updated to 1.0.2.0 b4 i wrote this thread..

yeah, why would somebody buy a 3000 bucks GFX just to play this game. lol :D

UPDATE: I've made some tweaking to it's graphics settings. suprisingly GTAIV never crash or freeze again with my setting below :

Resolution: 1440x900 (60Hz)
    Texture: High
    Reflection Resolution: Medium
    Water Quality: Medium
    Shadow Quality: High
    Render Quality: High
    View Distance: 5
    Detail Distance: 15
    Traffic Desity: 40
    Shadow Density: 0
    Definition: On
    Vsync: On