ATI Catalyst 9.2 XP|Vista Driver Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by v4npro, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    gta 4 seems to be more stable could play the first time longer than 1/2 hour without crash performance + or - not seen ;)

there are some news sites who told that there are no win7 improvemnts yet in 9.2 for win7 inpovements we had to wait for 9.3

but doesnt matter 9.2 runs good in win7 till yet ^^
    http://www.tweakpc.de/news/15632/catalyst-9-2-download-noch-diese-woche/ <--- example in german last sentence

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. Bojcha

Bojcha Active Member

GPU:
    many
    lol .. and when the 9.3 comes .. we will wait 9.4 ... ... .......

3. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    lol ofcourse :) but now i can play gta ^^ and can stay cool while waiting ;)

4. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    For the people claiming error 43 try this

A workaround was to go to Device Manager > Computer > and change the software driver to single core.

or

1. Uninstalled existing ATI drivers if you tried to install them and you were not successful ( I tried to install it multiple times unsuccessful )

2. Download EasyBCD and install it
    a) Under "Advanced Options" check "Allow unsigned driver installation on Vista X Edition" ( this should not be needed as drivers are signed but I did it anyways)
    b) Under "Advanced Options" again. Limit Windows to "1" CPU's ( if I leave this field blank or enable both of my CPU's on my AMD X2 then my Graphic card STOPPED working and I get "Code 43"
    c) Apply settings and reboot reboot

3. Download drivers from www.ati.com

4. Right click on the setup file that you downloaded from ATI (e.g, ati_catalyst_rc1_vista_xxbit) and select properties.
    a) Click on the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for windows XP SP2" and check "Run this program as an administrator"
    b) Install the drivers and you should be set.

I think the source of the problem was step 2 (e.g multiple CPU's) after I disabled 1 my CPU's and installed the ATI driver then everything worked however I did all the above steps in order to get it to work.

5. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    As for this driver, 0 problems for me, but I havn't had any problems with the last 4-5 versions. 4850 here.

Seems to perform well with the software i use.

6. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Cya...

7. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    hmmm had 1 year nvlddmkm has stoped working with 88ultra under vista and no way to solve it nvidia isnt better

8. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    What the f... That's god damned annoying. I just installed, then read the post you quoted, and then your post... Then I go look at my idle temps. Jumped from 55 to 70. God dammit.

edit - gpu-z confirms: Second core is 3d mode on boot. I didn't have this problem with 9.1, or at least temps didn't reflect it...

9. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    By the looks of fellow 4870x2 owners here I think I'll stick to 8.12 hotfix 2 for the time being, if that god damn 2d/3d bug has returned then these drivers are a joke.

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Install of 9.2 appeared tp reset my Rivatuner Fan prifile gord knows how that happened! Everything suddenly started running really hot! Reset my fan profile and everything is ok!

Now for some gaming:D

Yes 2D/3D bug came back for me with 9.1:cry: I want to like this card but I'm finding it difficult! It's only cash flow at the moment thats holding me back from swapping back to Green. Shame!

11. ForgedReality

GPU:
    Doing it that way tends to not stick. You can reboot, and suddenly it's forgotten to load the profile. It might not be the new driver that caused it. It didn't do that to me at first, but after a while, for some reason, it decided to start acting up.

I got tired of it, and decided it wasn't worth the trouble to keep going in and manually loading a fan profile all the god damned time for a program that's supposed to do it automatically, so I just modded my bios and now I'm happy because I don't need rivatuner installed and loading on boot anymore, and my fan works awesomely with the profile I created....

Except now, with 9.2, that fkn 3d bug on the second core has popped up. >:\

12. Tyr 2000

Tyr 2000 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 4870x2 GLH
    [​IMG]

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I look in to a BIOS edit later:thumbup: I don't know If I will ever go with another 2 in 1 card again tbh!

14. pekka

pekka Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX580twin frozr PE
    good luck

15. ForgedReality

GPU:
    Wow that's a fallacy if I've ever seen one. You can't claim one company is better or worse than another based upon statistics like that. It's a known fact that nV has a much higher market share, therefore the cause of higher reported problems could quite well be down to the much higher saturation of their products in the consumer market. edit : Not to mention the high use of BETA nVidia drivers...

edit 2 :
    Be very careful if you decide you're going to mod your bios though. I had an issue where I was playing with ONLY the fan profiles, and testing settings to see what worked best.

I flashed it successfully several times, but then I decided to use another program to do it. Since that was the same program I had been using to rip the stock bios to begin with, I figured I could cut some corners and just use the same program to flash it back. Nuh-uh. It bricked my card and I had to boot off another pci-express card in order to fix the bad flash. I didn't even have a pci-express card to use, so I had to order the cheapest one I could find online just to fix my system. :(

Later I learned the reason why it failed: The program only wanted to write half the bios since it wasn't written to support the size of the 4870x2's bios, and it freaked my card out, causing it to no longer POST (not to mention the flashing of the card caused my system to lock up in the middle of it). Winflash works for flashing the card, RBE breaks it (or the version I used did anyway). Using RBE to acquire the bios worked fine for me however.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Plus the display driver is often the first thing to go down in a crash related to system stability, and thus is the thing that gets logged; but let's not turn this into another Nvidia vs Ati flamewar please...

17. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
  18. ForgedReality

GPU:
  19. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    But can you enable both cpus afterwards? (i got quadcore)

20. praktik

praktik Guest

GPU:
    4870 512 in Crossfire
    Now the real question - Will Civ 4: BTS continue its intermittent crashes under 9.2 w/ Vista x64?

Wont have a chance to try til later this weekend but I will report back!