To Keep Or Not To Keep? That Is The ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 1heone, Feb 16, 2009.

1. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    ok guys i have 2 4870 1GB video cards in crossfireX i was wondering if i should just sell one of the cards or keep them both? its nothing against ATI i just not seeing the advantage of it SLI or crossfire X what do you think?

:bang:

2. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    in crossfire when ur fps should drop to 40-60 u get microstutter instead

3. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB

i dont get what you are trying to tell me? lol

4. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    I would sell one now before the new cards come out.

5. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    actually i still have time to return it for a full refund to newegg.com. just wanted some opinions first. but i think thats what iam going to do

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    What resolution are you playing at, and what games are you playing?

7. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i am playing 1680x1050 i dont play crysis but when i do, there is not difference with crossfire. far cry 2 benchmark highest 80 frames with or without crossfire. hl2dm, and l4D are just some of the games i play i didn;t notice any benefits, and to have crossfire for 1 title that uses it is kinda wasteful

8. goodald

goodald Member Guru

GPU:
    580 Asus DCII

I'd return it... I thought I'd give crossfire a shot when I bought my 4870x2. At the time it was the only 4870 based product with 1gb of ram per core, so I still feel 'ok' with the purchase but the crossfire part is just a headache.

I might consider a multi gpu setup again by win7 release, but If I buy anything before then It will be the biggest single core I can get my hands on.

Also - I really hate that when a new game comes out, crossfire support generally seems to come out some time after release. Other vendor(s) either have support in at release or available via a follow-up patch OR give you a way to force it.

If I buy a game it's usually at release; the lack of proper support (or a way to 'force' it) is frustrating especially as you have to "hope" support is added at the next monthly release. It's also frustrating when AA can't be enabled. Yeah I have issues with Nvidia cards too but at least you can force settings pretty successfully.

</rant>

heh.. I just feel that if you spend 300-600 on enthusiast level hardware you should get enthusiast level tools and support from the vendor.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  9. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    if u get to scene where fps should drop from 125 to 40-50 with single card
    u will still remain on 100-125fps but game it self will look like u have 40-50 and have laggy feeling of it

10. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    at your resolution stick with one gpu

11. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    well i made my decision its all packed up and ready to go back. i'll get 229 dollars back. anything else worth buying? nother 4 gbs of ram? total of 8 :wanker: or is that not really needed either

12. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    You can always buy me a bigger than 19" LCD if you really feel then need of spending :)

But no, I wouldn't upgrade anything at the moment. 4 GB is more than enough

13. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    lol yea i been going on a spending spree lately. i guess 8 gb would be over kill for now. really cant think of anything i would want right now anyway =) maybe i'll get nother spinpoint F1 drive and run it in raid 0