Cannot reinstall Videocard: Device Type: unknown

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Klaus_1250, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Hi, a while back I wanted to reinstall my Sapphire Radeon 3850 AGP. Removed the old drivers, ran driver cleaner, etc. But upon reinstall, the card always installs itself as an Unknown device type, not as a graphics adapter. And thus only works partially. Tried the original CD as well, but, ATI WDM drivers, etc.

The card simple refuses to be recognized as a video card :-(

Where and how can I fix this?

PS: OS is Windows XP SP3

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. janjw

janjw New Member

GPU:
    evga 7800 gs agp g71
    Just bought the this beauty last week
    Enable the the onboard device page 3-28 set it to standard

3. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
  4. Mofo*

Mofo* New Member

GPU:
    Ati x850xt
    Hello just reading about ur problem wich i had myself. Installed the first time it was ok but when i changed driver i had the same. I used Drivercleaner and sweeper this prog messing up with ur registry. I tryed allmost every driver 2 fix this problem even i got the message or error the Ati driver didnt install prop.

When i looked in the Hardware manager there was allways unknown device or something and i coudnt install any driver only driver wich worked for me was Omega driver.

So what i did was uninstall the driver, run in Safe mode(F8) using driver cleaner again and then in safe mode i used the registry fix and reboot. Install the new driver again and be happy :) this was the only fix that helped me i was able 2 install all the drivers again without any problems. No more Ati driver didnt install properly.

i recomend all the ppl that cant install the Ati driver anymore use this fix it works for xp dont know about vista .

Here is the fix

http://files.filefront.com/Ati+registry+fixreg/;13287739;/fileinfo.html

Mofo.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

5. janjw

janjw New Member

GPU:
    evga 7800 gs agp g71
  6. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    @janw: no problem.

@Mofo*: THANX!!! That was exactly what I needed :) Downloaded the .reg file, opened it in Notepad, fired-up regedit and put the info in the registry. Restarted and now most things are working again :) (CCC isn't yet, but I'll manage it).

Here is the info in the .reg for those interested:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "Class"="Display"
    @="Display adapters"
    "Installer32"="Desk.Cpl,DisplayClassInstaller"
    "TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsdisp.htm"
    "Icon"="-1"

7. Mofo*

Mofo* New Member

GPU:
    Ati x850xt
    Nice 2 see it worked for u :)

About the CCC had the same didnt work for me, did u uninstalled the driver before u used the reg fix?

Im sure if u uninstall the driver and in safe mode use driver cleaner and after uninstall use the reg file it will work for.

Mofo.