Sli with an athlon x2 4200+

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Odyracer18, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Odyracer18

Odyracer18 Member

GPU:
    POV GF 8800gt
    A friend of mine recently upgraded his PC,and now is giving away his old card, an 8800gt for about 60-80 euros...Would my Pc handle well the second card?I'm actually worried for my cpu..Will i see any diferences in games like crysis,gta IV etc?Thanks...

2. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    no your system wont handle SLI, and in fact your CPU is a bottleneck for a single 8800GT.
    since you're at 2.7ghz its not really much of a bottle neck but still a bottle neck so adding a 2nd card would be pretty silly.
    and your power supply cant handle it either

3. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    You will see a performance boost if you sli, but you would have to run games at high resolution and detail to reduce the bottleneck, it really depends on what game you play.

Crysis, F.E.A.R and other graphics intensive games will take advantage of sli, on the other hand GTA IV, Source and RTS games needs a powerful cpu and won't see much improvement, it may actually be slower.

A 600 watt or better power supply will be required for sli

4. Odyracer18

Odyracer18 Member

GPU:
    POV GF 8800gt
    Thank you very much guys...Much apreciated.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    what this guy said. higher resolutions and turn up the aa and af. i have 8800gtx sli also. i average 20 to 40% increase with framerate with SLI worth it IMO

6. dshramek

dshramek Guest

At 1680 resolution, you should be able to run 8x csaa 16x hqaf with no problems at fairly good fps(50-60+ fps).
    All the people saying your system won't handle sli & cpu bottleneck are full of sh!t. The main problem is a lot of games don't even support sli.

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    You will bottleneck at some games, at others not, i mean, my single 9600gt at 1280x1024 doesnt get bottleneck in crysis/fc2 (no AA, almost max. quality)

but if you get bottleneck, maximize AA and its done, in many games (specially RTS/Mmorpg), you will get bottlenecked anyways, but well, is free

I can put 16xQ on GRID and i feel no fps difference, aka cpu heavy bottleneck -_-". but well xD.

8. GalantVR41062

GalantVR41062 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 CF
    I had SLi 9600gt's with a AMD 3600x2 OC to 2.8ghz. I was lucky the 9600gt in SLi scaled well and for the games I played I did see a nice jump. Then I bought my 9800gtx+'s and the SLi jump was a lot smaller, but still there. It does come down to what games you play, resolution, PSU and what kind of AA/AF you like to use. My AMD system died on me, so now I have an intel setup, I am glad GRID plays better at 1900x1200 with 4xmsaa at stock clocks on the E8400.

~John