Which one has the best performance and is a bang for my bucks?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Clavally, Feb 13, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer for the band for ur bucks?

1. GTX 285

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. GTX 295

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. GTX 285 x 2

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. GTX 295 x 2

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    hes alrite is our boyo! ok crysis warhead 1680x1050 4xaa enthusiast settings. stock speeds 295...

fps 30-60. Unbelievable!

RIP 295...

only joking hehe. its fine. fan was @50 percent and temps around 75c so you will need fan up with crysis warhead.

long live the 295 :)

2. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    okay this is the reason why Im totally vexed about. One says GTX 295 and the other says GTX 285.

is this a cooler or fan?

What do u mean by future driver support?

Additional Qns: What temp shld the Graphic cards be kept at?

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    with the true 120 extreme it doesnt come with a fan so you need to buy a 120mm case fan and it clips on. ideally u want one with less then 45 decebels and fan speed around 3000rpm.

my fan on my true is a ys tech 2600rpm and its quiet and does a great cooling job. temps under 30c atm.

well the max u want to see on a gpu is around 100c. i keep fan speed at 60 percent max and have never gone over 80c. touch wood.

p.s if its your first build then a cooler that screws into a backplate is the boy. pushpins are a xxxx nightmare.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-YS&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

heres mine..

(u can clip 2 of these on a true but i think its a tad excessive)

4. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    okay now u got me confused with lots of new stuff. haha Is tat Sycthe a fan? [Answer this 1st pls] thx

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

well i gusse 1 295 its only like 50-75 usd more so that would best bang per buck, but 2 for quad?... for every day idk....but if 1 285 is making you all sad then the 285 sli would serve you better every day

the "future driver support" remark is solely based on my expriance with the gx2 and purely opinion and should not be taken as fact.. sry
    i felt that the g92 cards did lose some driver support(as in not trying to get any performance increases/or stagnent) over the last few releases.

who would know future driver support away?

under 75c its staying alive

100c???
    you might as well run in 2d

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    yea maximum I only can get is 2 Graphic Card cause Im gonna use the last one for a Sound Card.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    wrong see heardware thread!

9. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II

2600rpm is NOT silent... the fan included in my tuniq tower 120 goes from 1000 to 2000rpm and i can hear it at 1400rpm and it's a pretty good fan so how can your 2600rpm fan be silent? Unless you're deaf or your pc is in another room or your other components make so much noise that you can't hear the loud fan...

High rpm fans are for overclockers or poor cooling solutions ...if he isn't going to overclock then he doesn't need a high rpm fan for a cooler that is already very good...

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    eh? when did i say it was silent? you are putting words into my mouth here. i said go for under 45 decebels and its QUIET.

@op you can take my word for it. it doesnt actually run at 2600rpm slighty under. its a 4-pin so is directly into psu so you cant alter its speed therefore it runs @max.

again the comment that i'm deaf is another assumption. no-one ever told u that assumptions are the mother of all evils. and again you are wrong. i have the pc next to me literally can touch it while typing.

antec 900 fans at medium. @60 percent fan speed gpu is the loudest thing by a long way.

the statement re high rpm fans is crap. if he goes corei7 then he will overclock. who doesnt? a few dont but most do. and who states that if you have something like a true 120 extreme you cant stick a 3000rpm fan on it?

nonsense buddy. its all about the decebels. check if under 45 you can be pretty sure its not going to be an issue.

anyways fact is my temps are under 30 idle. fan speed is over 2000rpm and there isnt much noise at all. 8 rebuilds i should know what i'm talking about. the op can take my advice or not. its his choice.....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009

11. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    your fan is loud because thats what it is,, a loud fan...
    maybe you should do a little research into different fan types, there are TONS of high rpm SILENT fans. just cuz you dont have one doesnt mean every fan is loud.
    and tons of low rpm high CFM silent fans

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  12. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    hey hey hey dont take ur personal grudges into my thread please. I dont even know wad ur talking abt so dont know and dont care. haha PEACE OUT MAN. I rather live in a world with PEACE.

13. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    btw @ the op. you did say most bang for your buck. This usually implies that you have a budget. **** it. if you can afford it. Get 3 GTX285's. :D But really you should get 2 & be done with it. I'm waiting for my 285 right now.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hey, clavally, dont mean to interupt your thread, but you have the screen I was thinking of getting, the samsung 2433bw, is it worth the cash?

and to go on topic, I would go with a gtx 295. You might hit yourself for buying the gtx 285. I mean, for the gtx 295, you get quad sli and in each card the 2 gpu's put together is better than 2 gtx 260 c 216's in sli. So logically, you would have about 4 gtx 260 c216's in sli insted of 2 overclocked gtx 280's in 2 way sli for about 200 bucks more, if you decided to go 2 way sli for either the gtx 285 or gtx 295.

15. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    GTX 285 is the best choice.

Why?

- Forget SLI. It's great in some games, terribly supported in others. Not worth the money.
    - GTX 295 is a dual card, essentially a pre-SLI'ed package. As such it actually nets lower performance than the 285 in some cases. Driver support will not be as consistent with the 295 as with single cards.

Make it simple; stick with a single card solution. Go with the 285.

16. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    A single 295 is the best performance vs value by far considering it is basically 2x 285 (slightly dialed down) for ~$300 cheaper than a 285 SLI setup. The only thing single GPU fans can argue is that both cores won't be used, but this is funny because it uses the SAME technology that you would if you bought 2x 285. So you can't really vote for SLI 285's and tell him the 295 won't work, you can't have your cake and eat it too. SLI has been around for what? 6 years now? I'm pretty sure it's matured enough that we can trust a SLI bridge between two cards on one PCI-E port.

Also if you try to go the Quad SLI (2x 295) route then you'll find out why most people sent the other one back; this is because many times the additional card lowers the frame rate. Maybe matured drivers will fix this, but right now one is the sweet spot.

17. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Mitzi, stop confusing the man! ;)

Clavally: If you want to play at 1920x1200 res, the 295 probably is the best "bang for your buck". It'll even run Crysis @ 1920x1200 on high settings. Very high is also possible, but it (and any other card) will struggle here. All other games that are out now (and likely for the near future) will be fine on this card.

Running 2x285 will be better at very high resolutions needed for 30" screens, because the 285 has more video memory (1GB vs. 896GB) and very high resolutions and/or anti aliasing needs alot of video memory (also called frame buffer). If it is power you are after (- and money is not really an issue), I would probably go for 3x 285 (tri-sli). It will give you the advantage of the higher memory and the additional horsepower.

According to Hilbert (who runs this site), tri-sli seems to beat quad-sli (2x295), potentially due to the higher clock speeds and the bigger frame buffer (link). Anything above 2 GPUs is a hassle though and the increases in FPS are hardly justified by the additional costs.

To sum up, in my opinion the 285 runs most games that are out now at your resolution and will play most games coming out over the next 12 months smoothly.
    The 295 runs all games that are out now smoothly and will continue to do so if Nvidia keeps the driver support up.
    Tri- and Quad-Sli runs everything unless when it doesn't work, which is a hassle and not worth the extra money.

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    hey thats what i tried to say lol

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    i voted for the 295
    sure its clocked like 2 plain 260`s but it has 480sp and has MUCH overclocking ability. mine is sitting in a box. cant wait for my new rig build.

20. Clavally

Clavally Member

GPU:
    Dunno
    haha nice monitor tho. to me it is worth it