8800gts 512 temps and overclock

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AUTOgod, Jan 16, 2009.

1. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    hi there.
    just a quick q about my 8800GTS 512.

wondering if these stats are fairly good for stock cooling:

[​IMG]

also wondering whether it is worth getting a water block for it as i have a water cooling kit for my cpu with a 240mm rad and a 120mm rad. its a thermaltake big water 750

2. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    Any overclock has it's benefits so I would say that those numbers are "fairly" good. On the other hand with that card you can definitely go quite a bit higher. I have a XFX 8800GTS 512 Alpha Dog Edition. More or less the same card except for the sticker and yours came with a very small factory overclock. Mine is running stable right now at 780/1950/2120. All the G92 based cards overclock really well. You just gotta see what works.

As far as temps, I use the stock fan but crank it up to between 80 and 90 percent when I'm playing games or benchmarking depending on the temp in my house at the time. The highest temp I've recorded so far is 61 degrees but it's usually in the 40-45 degree range which is fine. The only thing is it's loud as hell. Since you already have everything else I would say get the waterblock.

3. Forbiden

Forbiden Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS @ 810/1900/2200
    I can't see your picture due to me being at work but I run mine with the stats on the left and generally don't ever get above 45C. I can hit 70+ on FurMark but that's a whole 'nother story :wanker:

4. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    hmmm ill have to give this furmark a go.

as far as load temps go, with the small overclock that i have, it gets to about 61c max, playing crysis. ps: the overclock on this was my own doing. it came as 675mhz and 950/1900mhz i think. i only took it that far at the time because the temps were getting a little extreme (85c).

2 more qs:

1: is rivatuner compatible with win 7 yet? and which geforce drivers do i use?

2: which waterblock is recommended? and how do i conceal the fact that the stock heatsink was removed in case i need to rma it (had bad experience with the 8600mgs in my notebook, and have read that there is the possibility of it happening with the g92s)?

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Rivatuner does not officially support Windows 7 yet, but there are reports that it's working.

6. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    thats good to hear, now just for the drivers

edit: found out about the drivers, and have them. was expecting a little more in the way of a control panel though.....

oh well, time to squeeze a little more out of my 8800 :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  7. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    got fan control in windows 7, but no overclocking :confused:

now i have another problem, but thats another story for another thread.

8. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    hmm i can run my 8800gts at 783/1944/1080 and i see 20% increase in performance in furmark and physix mark- or whats that program called from the ame makers of furmark but it measures physix performance on gpu (the oc is 20% on the stock speeds aswell, so seems quite linear gain), but im not playing games oced because if im honest i dont see a benefit in games (eventho the sinthetic benchmarks show a 20% gain). havent really monitored the temps much, but with 100% fan speed on that oc it was under 70 degress celsius at full load.

9. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    i manage to get those temps with this OC (750/1850/1050) and 50% fan speed. thats about the noise limit for me, even in a new cosmos. still thinking about a waterblock, but then think about upgrading, and wonder if a waterblock is worth it.....

10. r352alit

r352alit Member

GPU:
    Leadtek Winfast PX8800GTS 512MB
    NO WAY!!!! Is that in OC state? I don't believe it man!!!! My 8800GTS 512 is 54C on idle and near 73C on game or benchmarking fan speed 50%, room ambient about 28C and I DON'T EVEN OCed the card.....
    So... tell me whats wrong with my card?