Evga x58 questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The_Red, Feb 11, 2009.

1. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    Hi all,

My asus P5N SLI died hard over the weekend. I've been contemplating going i7 for a while so i figured "what the heck?"
    I've purchased the evga 9800gtx and so far I've been impressed by the performance and the level of support.
    My questions:
    1) With all of the bios updates needed, would purchasing a new board, say around Frinday, include the updates?
    2) With the review posed by extrememtech
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2340770,00.asp
    I was wondering, what caused the performance gap with the ASUS?
    3) WHat are the usual temps when running on air at room temps? How does this impact with OCing on this board?

Thank you all for your responses. I know I'll be going with the EVGA but i really need to clear up a couple of questions. I tempted to go with the ASUS but I've been burnt by sub par products from them before.

oh and the article has a setup very similar to what I'm looking at. except the card which i'll keep.

2. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
    Asus sub par?? LMAO.

3. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    some of their products have the worst software packages.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)

5. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    I got an x58 eVGA board, and it came with the most recent bios, and all of the issues that they have had in the past, have been resolved. I dont know of any that remain now.

Its a great board, with A LOT of features, and you can easily hit 4ghz on this board.

when i was thinking of which board to buy, i was going to get that gigabyte board. However, with all the bad reviews it got on newegg, and the general problems people had been having (reviewers), i decided to go with eVGA. Because, while it still had small problems (bios), eVGA is prob/ the best hardware company i know of (amazing tech support, along with cust. support, and overall, their warentees rock as well, and they make a great product).

people may like asus over anything, but ive owned a lot of asus boards, and when ever i had troubles with them, tech support for the boards (even via email), there was none.

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    that is very true. gigabyte support is virtually non-existant. although i suspect a lot of those reviews included people who arent exactly the cleverest. (ok that might be a bit harsh).

but the way i see it. you build pc...if it doesnt work you send the mobo back. simple.

7. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    ok in the review all the clock speeds are different. the asus was 3800 and the ecs was 3300 the others were 3500 and 3600 not fair playing ground and a bad review.

go with the evga great customer support
    or dfi great products way better than asus

8. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
    those are the OC'd speeds. u have to check the stock speeds.

:grab:

9. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    fair enough. I would have liked to see them tackle the benches at stock.

so far the worst support i have got was from BFG.

I will contemplate, but i would really like to know the temps you who have the board are getting,

10. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    well in 3 days I'm going to buy.

I'm torn between the asus p6t deluxe and the evga x58

11. kvkx71

kvkx71 Active Member

GPU:
    3x BFG Geforce 280GTX
    Go with the EVGA I have had no trouble with mien at all and it over clocks very well.

12. Tommy Trauma

Tommy Trauma Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX295 182.06
    I've decided to go with the evga x58 also. But seriously considering the 940 over the very popular 920. I see kvkx71 has a 940 well over 4.0. I'm assuming thats stable and temps are'nt rediculous? I would be happy with 4.0. I received my Thermalright limited edition True Black 120/with 120mm fan, and 1366 mounting kit yesterday, and have the 940, evga x58, 3x2 gig OCZ3G1600LV6GK, and Corsairs 1000 CMPSU-1000HX psu in my shopping cart at Newegg just itching to hit the buy button. Just going to keep my evga8800GTX for now, and will be stuffing all this into my existing Antec 1080b case. I never have the door on it, plus run a 20" window fan directed at the open case anyway. Someone help me hit that button between the 920, and 940 damnit hehehe.

Current specs:
    amd 4800 dualie @ 2800/thermalright xp120
    2x1gig ocz 3200
    dfi-sli-dr a02
    ocz700GXSli
    evga8800gtx 610/999
    XP Pro sp3

13. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    today the price dived so its (EVGA) looking alot more attractive.

is the position of the 8 pin connector behind the cooler as bad as it looks?

14. The_Red

The_Red Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 9800gtx
    went with the evga board. arrival in 2 weeks.