A tip for you internet connection

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mudgunner, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    trust me im just as bad so dont go taking the piss u dont know there might be a resson for the way it was writen so dont go off on one at him many people on this forum have sead things like where did you learn english to me and just becuase i strugle with writing dosent meen im dum or thick its generaly totaly the opposit to that and i think because im in the same sort of situation i actuly take offence to what some of you have sead as well...

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    thats exactly what you should assume. not all of our members are power users... you should know that.

then why bother replying? you have managed to do the very thing that you found offensive...why not contribute to the thread rather than try to belittle a member that is making an attempt at contributing?

3. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    well.. yeah

theres lots of threads from people who dont know much about pc's at all who come here for help

i found it interesting because i get sh!t pings lately but none of it is the reason but still

4. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Guys, i have heard some things about Qos packet scheduler. There is a limit reservable bandwidth. If you enable it and set the bandwidth limit to zero which is default 20percent the speed increases. How true is it?

5. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    I think that only works on XP, and the performance impact is negligible.

You would classify someone who can add an exception to a firewall as a power user? Really?

I wasn't belittling him. I said his post was condescending, when aimed at an audience on a hardware enthusiast site. Then pointed out two particularly bad bits as examples.

If I was going to that much trouble to write something, and was then posting it on a forum where everybody knows as much or more about the subject than me I would expect someone to tell me too.

I didn't say anything about your english, just your formatting. Loads of people on this site don't speak English as their first language, it's understandable. But paragraphs might be nice, maybe a header or some separated sections.

Nor did I call you dumb :/

I'm yet to see a user who doesn't understand that leaving bittorrent or a bandwidth hogging program active in the background might negatively impact performance in games...

Or one who can't configure a firewall for that matter.

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Dunno i disabled it back when i had xp and i didn't feel it made any difference.

7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    by giving them a headache ?

8. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Welcome to guru3d mudgunner.

9. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    Nih, dont piss me off today. you know exactly what my point was. either contribute to what the Op was trying to get across or leave the thread. those are your options, choose carefully.

10. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    if you get headaches from reading text on a screen why are you on a forum :/ lol, surely you could see the formatting of it before you read the whole thing and then decide not to

point is hes trying to contribute and he got burned. people could find this thread when googling about that topic and then see all the replies he got and what are they going to think of the g3d community?

11. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Here's an internet tip: Don't use Charter, it f$%ing sucks. I've been using Time Warner for years with no problemo but the Charter I'm currently on is terrible. Downtimes, stupendously erratic ping and packet loss, and a speed generally describable as a certain malaise. And to top if off, they are capping usage at the end of this month.

12. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    because you havnt seen them doesnt mean theyre not there

i for one didnt know a lot of the stuff in the post about wireless etc as i dont use anything wireless, and as i never use a firewall i would easily forget about .exe exceptions :rolleyes:

13. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    I wasent saying that you called my dumb i was making a statment that people tend to think that thats all wasent aimed at you :).

14. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    I know what your point was, and it was invalid. False dilemma, those are not my choices. And if I want to save the guy some trouble by telling him to consider more careful formatting, or by letting him know that everybody on this site already knows what he is trying to explain then I will.

Seriously, what exactly is wrong with telling someone when their post doesn't contain anything useful, or not to the audience present on this site at any rate? Or that it is poorly formatted?

I wasn't one of the users that just insulted his English, I didn't call him stupid or make fun of him. What's the problem exactly?

If I made a post on this site about, say, how to use msconfig or defragment your hard drives I'd expect exactly the same sort of criticism.

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    jebus guys youre being bit harsh on the OP( welcome btw ), my only issue with it was:
    A) If youre going to spend time providing informative information do so in a from legible to everyone( remember its not just you reading it )
    B) Know your audience, posting on forums can be difficult and a lot of folk will be more knowledgable in certain areas and you have to respect that,

I commend OP on his effort, its just i cant read the damn thing, which is why i gave feedback, negative as it is,but its neither paragraphed properly or formatted( including sections )

mudgunner - please just format your text,split it into sections and make it legible, thats all we ask, we respect youre efforts, but your efforts will remain neglible regardless of content if its too difficult to read

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009

16. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    @Nih

you see thats where your utterly and completely wrong my friend. YOU dont decide what your choices are at G3D, get it? i will not allow you(or any other member) to dissuade a guru that is doing nothing more than TRYING TO BE HELPFUL. his enthusiasm is to be encouraged not frowned upon. does that help in clarifying my point Nih?

if you feel the overpowering urge to set someone straight then do so with a bit of tact. if you dont, i will deal with you showing the very same disregard.

if you would like to continue this um debate i encourage you to do so via pm. if you post in this thread again you will take a vacation. thats a promise.

well done lmimmfn. thats exactly what im talking about. constructive critisism at its best :thumbup:

17. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Well said

Tbh, I found that his post is quite informative since I have not much knowledge in networking

18. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Shouldn't this thread be moved to the networking or whatever that section name was, because it's obviously about network connecton and stuff...?

19. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Ban me then.

I didn't mock him, I wasn't rude, and I said nothing in any of my posts I don't still stand by.

The information in his post was essentially useless given his target audience, and the formatting was difficult to follow at best.

If anal-retentive forum monkeys such as yourself can't see fit to witness criticism, or separate my posts from those that were genuinely rude/without purpose I'd rather not remain on this site.

20. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    your wish is my command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.