The Guru3D Fallout 3 PC Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sash, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Well, I went through a period today where it crashed about 5 times in 2 hours. So I deleted the .ini files and started from scratch. So far, only one freeze up in the past 3 hours.

Love the new sky mod btw. :)

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It looks amazing during the day but at night it's so dark that you can't see anything most of the time unless you use the pipboy light; which lets you see 5 metres ahead, lol. I quite like the dark night idea actualy, adds that little bit of intensity to the atmosphere which was missing in the un-modded version.

3. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Just added the weather mod :) Awesome. But where do you find the pipboy light ?

Also, my game keeps crashing every 5 minutes or so, it just freezes up completely and I have to end process :(
    I'm on windows 7 64-bit.
    181.22 drivers.
    Anyone know how to solve this ?

4. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Check that u have the lastest codecs installed. That solved my issues.
    I use K-lite codec pack.

Hold down your pipboy to activate your pipboy light.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

If you hold the pipboy button down (the TAB key by default) a light emanates, also not sure about the crashing as mine seems to be fine, might be because of windows 7? I know one of the interface/font mods made my game do that because I didn't add the required lines into fallout.ini.

6. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I found Autosave options were causing problems for me. I also had problems at the "Walk to Daddy" scene when I first played the game. After I disabled all the autosave options (there is also a fourth autosave option in the My Games>Fallout 3 .ini files) the game ran much better and stopped crashing when entering\exiting doors. Although it may seem that a problem that reoccurs at a certain place in the game points to the game itself, it could just be that a specific graphics or audio event occurs at that time, and a hardware driver could be at fault instead. I'd first try disabling autosaves and if that doesn't help then start looking at the Fallout 3 Tweak Guide and also update any drivers to recent versions. http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_1.html

It is also a good idea to create save games regularly and keep at least a few different saves in case one becomes corrupted. Corruption of save games will usually occur when Fallout 3 crashes while saving, another good reason to disable autosaves entirely. You don't want to lose all your progress because of the autosave becoming corrupted.

If you still have problems with poor performance, try uninstalling your graphics drivers and then using DriverSweeper in Safe Mode to clean any files left behind by the driver. Next, reboot into Windows normally and install an up to date driver. If you do the DriverSweeper clean in Safe Mode each time before installing a new graphics driver you will avoid many problems.

Check you also have everything like chipset drivers for your motherboard installed and up to date, DirectX, audio drivers, and also any codecs if you have them installed.

In many cases all other games may work perfectly well, but one game may still be affected by something like a problem caused by a particular version of a sound card driver. Considering all the configurations of hardware, driver versions, and different settings possible in each game engine, there are bound to be issues now and then.

It would be a pity if you missed out on an excellent game because of a problem caused by something like a driver, codec, or setting that can be easily changed once you know about it.

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Very nice post bro. I like those autosaves however because they've been useful to me. But, given most of my freezes are occur during the "loading" phases, you're probably right.

Bethesda should be well aware of this by now and I hope that they fix it.

8. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    One of my friends had his autosave file become corrupted. The last manual save he did was right back when he first left Vault 101 so he has now lost nearly all of his progress. :(

9. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I would take my game disc out and burn it. Seriously. However, I manual save CONSTANTLY. Not to mention that I copy it out every day. I'm having too much fun to take risks.

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    btw any1 with a 9600gt/8800gt and 1280x1024 resolution, at which quality you can play OK¿?

11. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    No offense my friend, but what?

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I supose maxed without AA.

13. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    HD3870 - maxed out, 1680x1050, 2xAA(with transparent AA)
    HD3870 is comparable to 9600gt

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    :S

i get sttutering at ultra quality without AA :/

nvm fixed, was bcs of HDD, moved it to the non-storage HD

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Figured I'd take a shortcut today by going to Old Olney, but there was something about Old Olney I didn't like last time I went there.

[​IMG]

...k, now I remember :x

(might be a spoiler for people who havent seen these yet)

16. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Im getting what looks like lingering shadow artifacts for the first time after months of playing and changing nothing. When i look at a building and then look at the sky, theres a light etch-a-sketch effect on the screen from the building.

Anyone know the fix for this? I re-installed the game and re-installed my drivers.

I DO have AO on Low (using 185.20)... Maybe this is the cause? Ill try it and find out.

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I have strange problem, which is SAVE GAME releated i supose.

Problem :

Whenever i leave my curret location ( which is GNR Plaza ), i cant save the game, AUTO/Quick/Manual, non works, when you try to save game crashes with fallout3.exe
    I Tried to delete saves but didnt help. I can save in my current location but not if i change it :/. wtf i am supose to do ?

18. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    My game keeps crashing at rivet city entrance, I guess it is related to the max resolution mod for it. Anyone else experience this problem?

19. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Yep, I had the same issue. I was running the 400% resolution mod. I went to the 200% version and my problems disappeared.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Have you changed anything in the *.ini files?

EDIT:

Also changing/deactivating certain mods can cause this

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.