Please help me out guys!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by cadotter, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cadotter

cadotter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
    Ok i've been very impressed and would live some information as to be what should I upgrade too?

Here is my current build, just the basics:

Biostar Tforce 7025 MB
    AMD Athlon x 2 6000+
    Radeon HD3870 OC Edition
    3 GB DDR2 RAM (pc6400)

I do alot of gaming but not really looking to spend more than 300-400 dollars. But I know I want to get the Phenom 2 Processor @ 3.0 GHz. Can you guys please help me decide on what motherboard I should get????? I've been looking but I want a nice stable board that is not too expensive.

Thanks in advance!

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Take the current build, replace the motherboard with something like:
    ASUS M3A79-T or M3A78-EM
    add an extra stick of RAM and add in a Radeon HD 4850.

deltatux

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    One that starts with the letter ASUS. <<<<<< Joke - get it?? hehe I made a funny.....

Rock solid..... pricey though.....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ lol. Agreed though!

If you want a quality board that is capable of overclocking, is full-featured, and won't give you grief in the long run, go ASUS. Period.
    Right now, there's not another board that can hold a candle to the M3A79-T Deluxe - sure, it's expensive in terms of expense, but if it's viewed as an INVESTMENT that can create an upgrade path to the last of the AM2+ and the first round of the AM3 CPUs, then it doesn't look so expensive in the long run. Add to that it's *the* most overclockable board on the planet and you've got nothing but pure *WIN* :cool:

Psychlone

5. Plan6m

Plan6m Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GT
    If you go Asus, I hope you have better luck than I have. The last two builds/upgrades I have done, have been Asus, and I have had problems with both. Had to RMA my last board twice.
    Then, when they sent it back, it was sent to the wrong person, so it was delayed another few days.

I actually thought they would just send me a new board after the second RMA for the same problem. Anyways, as it stands now, I am looking for a new board as well.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    hey now! i've been getting many people over at the xtremeforums saying that the board i have has been getting higher overclocks then any 790FX board :p i've been hearing things like this

Dunno if that's true, but you gotta give the 780a some credit too!! :)

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow...sorry about your luck there Plan6m. As a general rule, *every* manufacturer of *any* type of product, is going to have a few that just don't work properly, any other problems are usually end-user error. (not saying you did anything to cause this at all)

When they sent it back to the wrong person, that had nothing to do with ASUS, that was the e-tailer that you purchased it from.
    On the second RMA, what do you mean that you thought they would just send out a new board after the second RMA for the same problem??? Again, ASUS isn't responsible for any RMA's unless you made your purchase directly through them, and who does that when you can get it from a reputable company like Newegg for cheaper? Anyway, no company is going to cross-ship a board unless it's paid for - they're not in this to lose money and they'll require some sort of payment or have the returned merchandise in their hands before sending out new hardware for replacement...and again, that has nothing to do with ASUS.

Really, not fair at all to be blaming most of this on ASUS. Granted, two of your boards have had to be RMA'ed, but you've got to be certain that it's not something you've done before pointing the finger - the chances of getting 2 borked boards in a row from any company is slim at best...it can happen, and I'm sure it does happen, but most times it doesn't.

ASUS has been a reputable hardware manufacturer for quite a long time. I've trusted them with every personal system build I've done in the last 20 years. I've had a few others in that timeframe, but I always end up back with ASUS for the simple fact that they're the best, never given me any grief and they make the fastest and most feature-filled boards out there.

Just my opinion. ASUS wouldn't be in business if all they dished out was shoddy workmanship and crap RMAs.

Psychlone

8. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    look at dfi boards. i to have had bad luck with asus boards. my dfi is good and my roomates gigabyte is good as well.

just make sure you get the 790 gx or 790 fx, and the 750 sb. NOT the 600sb

and i went thru 5 asus crosshair boards all of them with different issues except 2 were the lans did not work.

i still think asus makes good stuff but they are usually to gimmicky with a lot of stuff that does not work or breaks. i like dfi because they are not all gimmicky but they have what is needed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  9. Plan6m

Plan6m Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GT
    First of all, i wasn't blaming Asus of anything. Only stating my experience with two Asus motherboards.

Second: I bought the board from Newegg. It ran flawlessly for about six months.

Third: I RMAed the board direct to Asus, as they requested, both times. So it was Asus who sent the board back. And I patiently waited through two RMAs, and after the second time, i honestly didn't want to through it a 3rd time. How many times are you willing to RMA a motherboard?

I understand a lot of what your saying, but imo, the motherboard was a piece of crap and Asus's CS stunk. That was just my experience, and I am sure it was a rarity when dealing with Asus.

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Again Bro, sorry for your luck. I wasn't clear on exactly what your RMA experience was, and it looks like it truly does suck!

I was simply sticking up for ASUS because they've been very, very good to me - not a single bad board since the K7M...

I really didn't intend to ruffle any feathers and I apologize for coming across that way.:cheers:

Psychlone

11. cadotter

cadotter Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1GB
  12. Plan6m

Plan6m Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GT
    Np at all Psychlone. I apologize as well for coming back the way I did. It was just my bad luck hehe. And sorry for derailing your thread cadotter. That ASrock board does have some good reviews for sure.

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hey cadotter: The Asrock board looks to be a decent board, decent reviews and some cool features that you could probably utilize well. I did happen to see that several people have complained about receiving DOA boards - borked right out of the box, but that shouldn't be the only thing that makes up your mind - I'm positive that there's more people that are satisfied and received working boards than didn't.
    Also, it's got the HD3200 onboard graphics that would add a bit of performance to an ATi card if that's what you run in it (otherwise it's useless and would have to be disabled altogether)

Anyway, any other suggestions would be scrutinized by the professionals visiting your thread, so keep looking - you may find a better board for a better price. I don't have time right now to dig for you, but you may find something better at a better price point. Not saying that the Asrock isn't going to cut it at all - it looks to be a pretty good deal.

@ Plan6m: No worries Bro...wording takes on a completely different life once it's in text - emotions can't really be translated correctly via the internet. I didn't take anything personal and I hope that I didn't cause any grief.

Psychlone

Psychlone