Dare I mention Emachine??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stuball56, Feb 5, 2009.

1. stuball56

stuball56 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 gtx 640
    I know I know, I am upgrading a friends pc who refuses to let go. It's an Emaching T1140 and what I've found says that one can only put a max of 256 SDRAM PC100 or 133 in each of the two slots. Anyone think that it would work with 512 sticks? I hesitate to order and chance it so I wondered if anyone knew.

2. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    Dude, I dont care how stubborn this guy is but that is not worth upgrading so dont let him waste his money

3. Juicy8504

Juicy8504 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 (RIP 8800GTX)
    You can still use the case and hard drives... what i did to my wife's computer when she started complaining. A cheap mobo, cpu and ram and she though it was faster than mine! :p

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I always reuse drives if their good enough, Dont know about the case... but for your wife I can see why you reused it =). I have to say, there is no point in upgrading. You could probably build something like 10 times better for like 300-400 bucks lol. hit up amd.

5. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    Things that might still works are CDROM and HDD. Well at least if he (your friend) thinks that is sufficient.

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Get the **** out of here.

Kidding, tell him you won't be his friend if he doesn't upgrade.

7. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Older motherboards were more stubborn about memory. I know that my old K6-2 machine would refuse to function with memory that, based on the motherboard manual, should have worked. It supposedly would work with up to 768MB but never ever accepted more than 384MB, no matter what combination.

That said, the cost to upgrade that would probably be pushing close to picking up a new eMachine at Best Buy. No, really, you can get the bargain bin one for around $300. If you want a monitor with it that brings it to around $400. And that would be a C2D based Pentium dual-core chip, nice beefy (compared to that old thing) hard drive and more.

8. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    I had an old Gateway Pentium 2 machine that could only accept 256mb in each slot, but I put in a 512mb stick, of which 256mb was recognized and worked fine.

If he's running Windows 98 or 2000, things should be ok. If he's trying to run XP or Vista, laugh at him, then break his computer. Big favor.

9. Juicy8504

Juicy8504 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 (RIP 8800GTX)
    **Hands stuball56 a baseball bat and a PB&J**
    You know what needs to be done, HAVE A BALL!

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    No point in keeping an old Pentium2 machine around. All it would be good for is....well....print server? I guess you could still use it to check e-mails and surf the net but really though he would be still running win98 or ME and I don't think there is anything compatable with those ol school operating systems anymore...

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Tell him to stop being dumb and that his entire computer is literally worth less than a single piece of modern hardware. Not worth upgrading or spending any of your time on it.