GTX 280? Grateful for Advice

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Zydor, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    PC specs to the left are current. I want to upgrade the 7800GTX card (going to use the 2 x 7800GTXs in another build - replacing an old P4 board). My needs are not "high end" as such, The two games I play are Galactic Civilizations II, and Civ4 (offline - I dont play online). I do some graphics and video editing, nothing too horrendous in rendering terms.

My limitations are to stay within the current Praetorian case, and stay with the 600W Enermax PSU shown. I previously had an ASUS AN8 32 motherboard with FX60 - motherboard went to the graveyard in the sky, and fitted the motherboard shown with a Phenom IIx4 940 and 4Gb of new memory (memory cooling fans fitted). I used to have dual 7800GTX SLI with the old board, but fitted one 7800GTX for now to this GA board until I sort out which card to use. The GA Board is ATI-Crossfire, but I dont need that amount of power with the cards on the market these days.

I have a Belinea 22", invariably at 1650x1080.

My thoughts are to use a GTX280 or an ATI 4580x2 both should work fine on the GA board PCI Express x16 Slot. Power should be fine with the 600w Enermax shown (it has two x 18amp 12 volt rails).

Advice gratefully received as to which card to get. My concern is heat, the Praetorian case is a good one if not the largest in the world, and although its well served by fans with good airflow, I am being cautious as there is a four disk RAID in there, and I dont want to push to the limits on heat unless I really have to, so I am looking for the maximum crunching power on the graphics card for the space and heat limitations. Always favoured NVIDIA, but will move to ATI if there is an advantage in the particular circumstances described above. Happy to spend on third party cooling on the graphics card as appropriate.

All opinions most gratefully received, the above are just my thoughts - dont hesitate to shread them as needed and suggest other cards - I'm in listening mode :)

Regards
    Zy

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

A GTX 280 based system has a recommended minimum of 40amps on the 12v rail/s, seeing as you are using a quad core cpu, you should ensure your psu meets this requirement. The 4850x2 has slightly higher power requirements.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I'd just get the GTX216 saves some cash,

The HD4850x2 is not worth it really its amazing hot as it speads the heat into the case not out the back like normal dualslot cards.

4. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Re 280 - Any other lower grade card that would meet the need without changing the PSU?

Re the 216 - I dont know that card, PSU ok and the card still have enough power to cope smothly with the stated use?

Regards
    Zy

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    GTX260 or HD4870

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I agree, The gtx 260 55nm (216) is an exceptional card for the price and you meet all the system requirements, it's not that far from the gtx 280 and unless you play at 1920x1200 or above you'll rarely notice the difference.

7. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
  8. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Whats the heat like with the 260/4870 ?

Regards
    Zy

9. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    my 4870 did alright with the stock cooler. had to up the fan speed to keep it below 70c. it was kinda noisy but not unbearable in an antec 900 case.

10. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    260 all the way. Your PSU will be fine as you'll never really push that cpu that far (no OC and not above 1900 res).

Lex

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

12. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Am I pushing it a bit if I go for a 260 with the 600w Enermax PSU (two separate 18 amp 12v rails) bearing in mind there is a four disk RAID in there ? (I never go above 1650x1050 for the screen).

Heat ok with a 260?

Regards
    Zy

13. Zydor

Zydor Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 7970 Lightning
    Just realised - not mentioned one crucial fact - the cpu will be pushed to the limit, I run Climate Prediction models in the background, frequently ends up 100% cpu, so without changing the PSU, probably safer to go for 9800GTX ?

Regards
    Zy

14. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    Just go with the 4870. The performance is very close if not at par with the GTX260 216, and it has lower power requirements (my 4870 worked on a 500W, 18A Rail 1 and 16A Rail 2, from a brand no one heard about).