Afraid of getting GTA IV (FPS)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CCchips, Jan 30, 2009.

1. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    I've hear that GTA IV is very CPU-intensive, unlike most other games today, and my current CPU, although quad-core, clocks at a puny 2.3GHz. (I'm not really sure how AMD clocks work though, since I've only recently made the switch from Intel.)

Can anyone give me some opinions as to what kind of FPS at what in-game/visual settings can I run GTA IV, and how much of a bottleneck my CPU will be?

Cheers.

2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    All maxed, view distance ~30 with no problems. Also I strongly recommend you to install both updates ( patches ). FPS... not sure about the exact numbers, but completely playable. ( since I'm playing it maxed, view distance 20, tho. With no problems and completely playable .

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  3. Adam^

Adam^ Member

GPU:
    Asus 4850
    You will be fine, just get it.

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Recommended is 1.8 ghz. Anyways my cpu can run it fine, just my GPU can't so I get broken textures, you should be fine.

5. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
    I think it's really improved with the patches. Don't read too much into the posts on the GTAForums site... you'd think with all the complaints and written there that the game is totally broken and not a single person can play it, but I've had zero problems with the game, and have found the patches to really improve gameplay.

The title sure did have some issues to begin with, and wasn't properly optimized, and it could probably do with some more work, but the core gameplay has been a blast.

Interestingly enough, I read on the board about how the latest patch made a certain early mission not work properly. Cue hundreds of "Rockstar sucks" complaints. Turns out, the patch screws up the game for people using an illegal crack, and all us "suckers" who bought the original weren't experiencing any issues. Now, I'm not saying whether such tactics by Rockstar are right or wrong, but I do think it's definitely a game with "issues" if you've pirated it.

6. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    The game is fooking brilliant, get it and just play it.... most people who moan about it are just being picky and looking for too much, the game is huge, its a real living and breathing city, you`ll be able to play it fine, just don`t get too hung up if you see a jaggy edge, its not the end of the world, just look about the city and see everything interacting, and the flaws in graphics seem to just go away....

as said before do install the patches too.... you should be able to get around a minimum of 30fps i would have thought, on medium/high settings.....

get it and enjoy it mate!!!!

7. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    I think GTA IV is more reliant on the l2 cache of processors rather than the frequency, as GTA IV is capable of multi-threading your 4 x 2.3GHZ would theoretically equate to 9.2GHZ whereas someone operating a dual core at even as high as 4GHZ would theoretically only achieve 8GHZ and they would only have 6mb l2 cache where as you may have higher (I know Quad Core intels have 12mb l2 cache)

8. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I don't buy many games but took the plunge after reading fantastic reviews. I'm glad I got GTA IV on ebay for half price!

Of course, my PC is a little behind the times. However, at least Crysis allowed me to max the graphics out even if it ran poorly. With GTA IV I get 22-32FPS and I'm capped at low-medium graphics.

Either wait for another patch or take a gamble.

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    i finished gta at max quality with my 2'45ghz dual core, so i dont see why ur phenom shudnt do the work

i had 33fps max in close zone, and minimum 17 in very open zones, but most common situation was 22-25fps (distances were 30-50). and car density around 25

btw milamber, use the "dont limit memory" commands and parameters =), a 9600gt can hold gta IV at maximum quality perfectly, just dont max distance and car density since that takes cpu load xP.

10. Rabid Squirrel

Rabid Squirrel Member Guru

GPU:
    8800 GTS 320 @ stock
    Guys,

I don't want to turn this in to "one of those threads", but does anyone with my specs have any suggestions? I want to play this game, but if its going to be a choppy low-res-fest, I don't want to drop the cash...I'm perfectly content playing L4D at max for the time being. I would be playing at 1280x1024 as well...

thoughts?

11. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Black_ice_Spain, I've tried that tweak but when I change from Medium to High Texture Quality there is no change in performance or quality. I have everything else set to High with 10 Shadow Density, and 30 each for Detail and View Distance. With some other tweaks I get around 26-34 fps but the graphics still look shoddy.

12. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    That's definitely comforting, and the subsequent patches will be sure to boost performance. Embarrassingly, I must admit that I will be playing at 1280x1024 resolutions before I get a new monitor (please don't laugh - I'm broke). I must say though, if I didn't know the game we were talking about, I would have swore al your quoted in-game FPS rates were for Crysis.

13. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I was playing it on a Celeron Dualcore & GTX260 ran not to bad actualy very playable.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Can anyone here let me know if crossfire works in this game. Was thinking of getting it my self but unsure if crossfire would cause any problems.

Thanks.

15. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream

you`re gonna get mixed reports on this, same as any other question GTA4 related....lol....some people have it working fine, and others can`t use it..

think with the new patches and latest drivers you should be fine with crossfire support