Insufficient Steam security

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MikhRus, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    I know there were some threads talking about Steam account hijacking. Some jerk just stole my...

When I tried to log in today at 5 pm into my steam account, I've been asked for my password. I introduced it correctly and once again and again:3eyes:. I thought that something is wrong.. Then I checked my email and found out that at 8.58am my Steam account password has been changed and at 8:59am my contact email was changed also. That couldn't be me, because I work till 1:00pm.

I never gave anyone my account information... even have no friends in steam...

So I submitted a form at steam support and now I'm waiting for some responce.:bang:

What I want to know is how many of you guys had same problem and how long does it takes to get the account back?

The weather is sh!ty this weekend and I hoped to play all day long... No mor Mirrors edge for a while :chainsaw:

2. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    4 hours later... still nothing... no Mirrors Edge...

3. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I'm curious to know how that was even possible because most of the time you are required to click some confirmation link in an email in order to change your contact email. It really should be standard procedure that you are required to click a confirmation link in your email in order to change your password. Makes it FAR harder for someone to simply hijack your account like that, especially if they have no idea what email service you use.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    It is standard and Steam does require you to click a confirmation in your email before anything is done. IMO if you account got hijacked you did something phishy on your end. No one I know has ever had one issue with Steam security. Did you have like 3 digit password?

5. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    You should be able to recover your acount via CD key....- you will be asked to take a pic of the box + CD key card if you have added via CD

6. Countach

Countach Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9600GT 512MB
    You can recover your account, in the worst case you give Steam Support some personal info and they will restore it.

7. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    Well the email I found, confirming that my contact email was changed is simple:

Dear <<user>>,

This email message confirms that your Steam account contact email address has been successfully changed.
    We are sending this notice to ensure the privacy and security of your Steam account. If you authorized this change, no further action is necessary. If you did not authorize this change, or if you need additional help with your account, please follow this link to the Steam Support site and submit a request for assistance:

<<link to supoort page>>

Thanks for reviewing this information and helping us to maintain the privacy and security of your account.

The Steam Support Team
    http://www.steampowered.com

I was surprised because there wasn't any cofirmation requiered from me about this change.

And one minute after I got another mail confirming that my 'secret question' was succesfully changed also.

Well, I never used any CD-key. All my purchases were digital. But I still keep PDF copy of my purchases. I still didn't get any word from steam (weekend eh?), so I will attach some of this reciepts to my support inquery.

I'm still surprised how could it be possible to happen. I magine that steam doesn't have any system that alerts the account holder how many times somebody tries to log in with wrong passwords...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  8. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Maybe someone has remote access to your PC. Make sure you have no Trojan's/Keyloggers stealing and sending your data to god knows who. After you've done that change all your passwords.

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That's what I thought, too. You might have some kind of Trojans/Keyloggers on your system...

10. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    Well, I have antivirus installed and up to date... It's supposed to run full system scan sometimes. Will run full system check anyway...

11. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to get into someones PC. Most people list their Email on Facebook, and it usually has an easy password (worst case, the steam password is the same as your email password...).

My advice, change all your passwords, just in case...

12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Besides Anti-Virus software you should also use at least one Anti-Spyware scanner. A well known and free option would be Spybot-S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

13. Sorak

Sorak Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2
    ive heard of steam accounts being stolen last year. it turned out to be keyloggers installed on the users computer and idiots not logging out of their accounts at cyber cafes.

and yeah, anti-virus software tends to miss a lot of trojans / spyware, i tend to just keep a firewall up and monitor my windows processes for changes that i didnt willingly make.

14. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    Thank you, Cybermancer for an advise of Spybot-S&D. Installed, tryed... No threats found... I'm clean.

I would hardly find any spyware on my PC, because the only applications I have installed are: MS Office, Firefox and lots of games, all legal (for the ones I didn't buy at steam, boxed ones, I often download a nocd from well known page, never had any issue)

And I only connect to internet to download updates and games... The rest of the time it's offline.

Still no answer from Steam Support :bang:

15. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    I just solved the issue: got an email from steam support, reseted my password and done. :approval:

Interesting thing I found was that the jerk who hijacked my account added one friend and played Portal for 3.2 hours... Pathetic and lonely looser. I think he was expecting to find my credit card information saved in my account, but no way...

Thank you guys for supporting my whinning and for your help

16. mx4life

mx4life Member Guru

GPU:
    X1950 Pro 256MB @2032BW
    Good to hear that it is solved!

Is the guy who hijacked you getting any consequences from steam?

Have fun playing Mirror's edge

17. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    Thank you. I lost whole weekend... Bad weather.... watching NatGeo whole day...

I don't nkow if they investigate those people (I hope they FU(K his a$$), but anyway I wrote them about a "new friend" I found in friends list.

Now I just need to survive 2 hours more at work and to get home to play a little bit...

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That would interest me also. Did Steam say anything whether they are further investigating this, or do they just drop it, since no "real" harm was done?

p.s.: I saw you just basically answered this question, MikhRus... >_<

19. MikhRus

MikhRus Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX275 Superclocked
    I felt it just like that...

After I got the email with information I wrote them:

Thank you for help.

I changed my password and secret question.

The interesting thing I found was a new friend in my profile. I don't know if you are investigating people that hack others accounts, but if you do, I think this guy knows the one who stole mine. His account name is: <<jerks name>>
    Of course I deleted him from my friends list.

Regards

And then I got the reply:

Hello <<user>>,

I am glad that the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Please let us know if you encounter any further difficulty - we will be happy to assist you.

That's it...

I'm still a little bit worried about how can I be sure it will not happen again? Maybe changing passwords frequently may help...