We are pc gamers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Shadowsoldier, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I don't think graphics cards were mainstream when the P100 came out. I first started hearing about them sometime between it and the pII 300.

/just checked, first graphics cards arrived in '95 for consumers. So p120-150 was top o the line at the time.

2. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Pong I played on an Arcade machine before it even came on a console. It was nothing huge, but what followed kept me gaming for every year since.

3. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I'll never forget playing the first Test Drive on a CGA monitor, and how marveled I was when I first saw Carmen Sandiego in EGA 16 colors :D

4. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I think you mean 3D accelerators, as graphics cards have been available much, much longer.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, in shape of various Tridents, S3s and many more. Matrox Mystique, Riva TNT, Rendition Verite and S3 Virge followed and introduced the 3D card phenomenon. The original 3Dfx Voodoo 4mb was my first 3D gpu and all my mates were very envious, this was back in 1996. Quake looked amazing on it!

I'm coming round to pc gaming again. I have a PS3 also, but I will probably only use that for exclusives from now on as I have a decent pc. I still can't wait for GT5, new Tekken, Final Fantasy or Killzone or Uncharted... But for everything else I'll use my PC.

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    No I meant what I said. The adjective 'mainstream' is what you should pay attention to in that consideration.

Anyway back to the op, I wasn't interested in PC games until Tie Fighter caught my eye. After that I was hooked.

7. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    I built my mobo from scratch and can run GTA 4 on low settings and it's actually playable. My Extreme Edition cpu cost a lot of money 3 years ago but I'm still using it today. Someday I will upgrade but I like Tweaking my system and can run any game out there. So happy hardcore gaming to all.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Choplifter? Beachhead? Leisure Suit Larry? Tape Drives?

Am I too old?

9. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Tape drives? Like from my first computer... a Commodore Vic-20 with 3.5 Kilobytes of ram.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol - yep. I had a C64... with the green screen....

11. Ravensong13

Ravensong13 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260-core 216
    hell im only 28 (maybe thats not that young around here lol) and I remember leisure suit larry and as I stated above all my first computer games were on audio casettes haha.

So nope, not too old.

How about tank battle? The trajectory game with the mountain in the middle?

and again TONS of text games... god damned "syntax error".

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol yeah I remember the text games - I think one I played was called The Hobbit.

My fav game from back then would have to be Defender Of The Crown....

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Thats a great strategy game :)

14. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Choplifter! One of the first games I played. It ruled :D

The VGA graphics cards were out already when I played it though. With a whopping 512kb ram! (And then you get CGA graphics, but anyways)

@Dustpuppy. Most PC's had graphics cards, at least after the introduction of EGA (in 1986 or 87, can't remember) CGA was already there in 1981, which was the first graphics solution for consumers. With the introduction of VGA in the late eighties, EVERY new PC had a graphics card, which is well before 1995.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  15. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I could never get the jousting right in defender of the crown, i will never forget the noise of a tape drive whilst loading a sinclair spectrum 48k game, eeek, and trying to tape a save point that never seemed to work right, i had some binatone pong thing before i got a atari 2600 wooden looking one and i remmember saying to my mum and dad if you buy me space invaders for my atari 2600 i wont pester you again for some 10p's for the arcade machine. but i did. :) also my riva 128 4mb with a 333p2 owned, b4 it started to run out of video ram in q3.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    my aunt had the pong console way back in the day or her bf did, got to borrow that.

all my friends had atari so never was bothered too much about not getting one.

had a bunch of "handheld" games (still got a few laying around even) pac man, defender, super cobra awsome games, used to sneak em to grade school and play defender in class thank god for mute on that.

first computer c64 w floppy drive, later c128d. awsome games awsome times. karateka, gunship, sid meyer's pirates, zork, hitchikers, zack macracken, hacking jeopardy and wheel of fortune to add perverted and fd up puzzles. even got a voice recognition cart for it omg what a waste but plugging in 4 letter words and making the commordore speak them was entertaining.

then one of my friends got a nes and super mario, and gods everyone had to get a nes.

then best bud at the time got a dos pc for graduation or something, wolfenstein, doom, remember cringing from the screen playing doom when the mob threw them fireballs, and nearly tipping the chair over.

got a ps1 when i saw the game need for speed on it....course i had played need for speed and test drive on commodore, and the graphics were so phat on ps1.

my first pc was a p133 i think it was, with a "video" card, think it was s3? or something generic cant remember the name. then my supervisor at work who was an IT guy taught me a lot about pcs and was a huge quake guy and pestered me to run out get quake 2, which involved me upgrading to a tnt card, best investment i ever made.......quake 2 kept me up many work nights fragging till 2 to 4 am with work at 9 am and a 45 min commute.
    then games like jane's series longbow, some of the star wars games back then were epic, then the rts craze took off, or people rediscovered it since there were "rts" games on commodore. then i read about a game called asheron's call in pc gamer that was being released that month.....and 5 years later with a few breaks here and there i finally left that game.

next pc was a p3 800 with agp quake 3....world of borecraft, guild wars. tell ya compiling quake 3 levels on a p3 800 was a long and painful process.

ok enough pining for da "good old days".

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I remember playing and finishing the text adventure The Hobbit. :nerd:

Was this one, right?
    http://www.lysator.liu.se/tolkien-games/entry/hobbit.html

[​IMG]

18. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    I mean yea that is good indeed but not as much of a jump as 1985-1995 I would say. :bonk:

19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I am at 25 hours in chrono trigger at the moment, graphics will never = game.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol - Yep that's the one - did you ever have it crash on you when you typed in "RUN" ? lol - I did....:)

Wow so that's what it looked like in colour - I only ever played it on a green screen....

Actually that reminds me of another game - something about "Lemmings" I think....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009