best gaming laptop for 1200?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ravensong13, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Ravensong13

Ravensong13 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260-core 216
    I posted this in the laptop section, but there doesnt seem to be any activity there.. hope you dont mind my re-posting where I'm more likely to get a reply =).. Feel free to delete the other one mods!

A very good friend of mine who doesnt know much about computers is about to buy a gaming laptop.

He wants 17" or larger, and wants to spend about $1200 max. he is willing to spend $1500 if there is a BIG benefit to it.

I hate gateway personally, but I've been shopping for him and the Gateway FX seems to be the best deal by quite a bit...

8400M @ 2.23ghz
    4 gig ram
    9800 GTS

all for about $1100.

Can you guys suggest anything better for the money? Link if possible!

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's actually a pretty damn good deal.

Make sure though that it has Vista 64-bit out there, because most laptops will come with 32-bit vista.

3. Ravensong13

GPU:
    GTX 260-core 216
    Ill definitely make sure... but actually 64-bit vista has become very common on retail laptops.

Up until June I was a computer salesman at best buy.. every laptop we had with 4 gig of RAM (which was near a third of them) had 64 bit vista included.

4. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The 9800GTS is about the best you can do at a reasonable price in laptops atm w/o going sli. There is a 9800m GTX but it's just absurd how much it costs.

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I think you'll find that the one's with the fingerprint readers are 32 bit. My M51sn with my upgrades should easily run the 64bit; 7200rpm 320gb and a T9300.
    Actually; other than the Poker and a few more goodies - this little guy is as fast as anything out there. Unless peeps have been sleeping, they will have noticed the speed at which next gen tech is popping up. I still recall looking at $10,000 "Thinkpads", years ago! :eek:

7. Ravensong13

GPU:
    GTX 260-core 216

Interesting setup!

I know the 9800M GTS is the way to go, was just wondering if I could get an equivalent machine at a similar price that isnt Gateway =(

Toshiba's all seem to have 9700's for some reason... do 9700's suck as bad as 8700's? (no support). Also they seem quite a bit more expensive... for lower specs =(

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Go with a ROCK they are awesome, they may be a little more expensive but you get lifetime warranty and they have excellent build quality my Rock X780-QX9300 is awesome and plays all my LAN games at ridiculous fps, I do only game at 1280x1024, 2xAA, 4xAF with max detail. I don't think i will need another laptop for quite some time. I have also overclocked the 2.53GHz CPU to 3.12GHz. Just purchased a laptop cooler to fit on the bottom of it and it keeps all the components extremely cool, dropped my CPU temp by 20C and my GPU temp by 15C which I was like :eek2: