Left 4 Dead + ATI 4870 1GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 1heone, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  2. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB

LOL least your getting 45/50 sometimes i m dropping mid 20's i am like ok wtf!!? i guess this explains it.

should i still invest in another processor?

or another 4870 to run crossfire?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    It would be more worth while for you to invest in a better processor.

4. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i will prob go with a Q9400 simply b/c its a very good processor and its not all too expensive. i use to spend 1000's on my pc i am no longer doing that after i saw how much a spent over months and yrs LOL. so Q9400 is in a decent price range.

thats why i went with a 4870 great video card competes well with nvidia, and i think the overall build quality is much better. i refuse to pay 500+ dollars anymore for a video card

5. tukm

tukm Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X1800XT 512MB
    vista 64bit. rid of it. stick with the 32bit

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I noticed a big difference from going from the safe 3.16Ghz on warm days to my 3.6Ghz for cold days. At 3.16, it was roughly 80'FPS; at 3.6Ghz it was most of the time 100+. This is with everything at max, cept 8xAA ("box filter" forced through CCC) and 8xAF.
    Overclocking the video card doesnt really seem to do much...
    AA was a big performance hitter, but surprising it plays really smooth at 8xAA :D

7. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB

why do u say this? i dont seem to have any issues with it?

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    There's nothing wrong with Vista 64bit. There's just a pretty outdated mob mentality even now that the 64bit version isn't good.

9. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    new left 4 dead updates. suppose to fix the slow down issues thats what atleast 2 ppl said so far for them. as for me i am still dipping into the mid 20's at times even though its not as often as before

anyone else see if left 4 dead is better for them?

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Works fine for me. Makes me think this issue only affects mid to low end CPUs

11. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB

what frames are u getting? soon i will get rid of this processor prob buy the Q9400 in about a week. i know source engine is very cpu hungry not sure if it likes speed or the cores?

12. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Maxed out at 1680x1050 I never go below 45fps. Normally run in the 60s or higher. I do have the multi core enabled thing going. Not sure how much it helps or not, very playable, looks freaking awesome!

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's definitely not your processor, I average around 80fps with my setup. The absolute lowest it goes is around 40 when there's a super horde that's all on fire.

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Mine usually never goes below 100FPS at 1280x1024 ( LCD native ) maxed out and with 16xAF/8xMSAA.

15. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    L4D does take advantage of every core so someone with Quad will get a lot higher performance vs someone with 2 cores.

Personally I get around 100+ in small spaces, with 35+ in huge open area (NM3 staying in the corner near the elevator, zombies coming at you and firing at the same time).

I noticed that when you are firing a weapon like the Uzi your FPS will drop about 10 FPS. I guess that muzzle flash is the culprit.

I am averaging however, 55+ on my 19" LCD 1280x1024 outside on No Mercy and 80-100 on Blood Harvest

And for the OP, I will strongly try to format if you still have low FPS and if you had a nvidia before. I had some serious performance issues until I formated when I switched from 8600 GTS.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Wrong thread. Disregard post ^_^;

17. 1heone

1heone Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    least u only dip to about 40 with a horde which is not bad at all, mine were talking like 30 mid 20's the slow down is not that apparent as it was before after the updates but i m still dipping kinda low which i think is unacceptable for this setup, its not the best but its not the worst either. what rest are u running at? mines 1680x1050

valve mentions nothing about the fix in there release notes which makes me think there still working on it?? if u visit there forums there are still a number of ppl with the issue and there are ppl that did not have the issue before that now got it, so i dunno whats going on

18. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    54FPS? Have you tried turning off VSync?

You also switched from nVidia to ATI. Do you know about the different AA filters? (Box, narrow tent, wide tent, edge detect)

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    No level of AA could make a HD4870 dip below 30fps in L4D at 1650x1080 unless it was 8xAA super sampling + wide tent. Also, 99.9% of computer LCD monitors are 60hz or more, which means that vsync most probably isn't the culprit.

20. Messerschmitt

Messerschmitt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7970 DCU II
    After OC my CPU at 3.2 the lowest I ever got was 45 FPS in NM3 crescendo in the corner near the elevator when zombies are attacking and shooting with the gas station on fire, while also seeing your teammates, which are a bit in front of you.

Everything else tho stays around 80+ through out the game, with exceptions for really big open spaces in NM which is around 60+

L4D like TF2 is definetely a CPU hog. My CPU Usage % stays around 70% while both CPU's work at around 95%