Back to Green - ATI to GTX 285

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rogue John, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Rogue John

Rogue John Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti w/GTX 285
    I've decided to return to the Green side and upgrade my HD3870 to a new GTX 285 instead of a 4870 1gb or 4850x2.

Physics, 3D Vision and having maybe the last, or next to last, greatest SINGLE GPU ever produced, It will look good next to my favorite Voodoo cards one day, LOL

I need your input:

1. Best driver file cleaner.

2. Best released or beta drivers. How is it using beta drivers these days? I always used beta's in the past since I needed the enhancements they promised and they didn't cause any problems gaming. Is this still true?

3. Any constructive tweaks or tips.

4. Any 285 owners input on the brand they purchased and how it went, support, etc.

I appreciate your input and look forward to using my new GTX 285.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  3. Rogue John

Rogue John Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti w/GTX 285
    Thanx for the info.

Just got a BFG GTX 285 OC+ for $380.

4. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I can't understand why people are paying almost $400 for a GTX 285 when the GTX 295 is only $100 more for almost double the performance in SLI capable games. The card looks like a great overclocker with great performance, but it's priced too highly compared to the 280 which is only 5-10% slower. IMO if you are going to spend $400 on the 285 you might as well spend $500 on the 295 and have dual 55nm GT206's

5. greentea908

greentea908 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285 XXX
    OMG LedHed: Your GTX295 will always have problems with some games and drivers...SLI does only work in theory perfect. Many people are just reasonable and take a single gpu card which doesnt have these problems...also the microstutter issues are still there (of course all SLI and dual-gpu owners will say: NO WAY) :)

now to rogue john: buy a gtx 285. i have the xxx edition from xfx. its really silent in all situations and just working perfect. the temperature does not go over 80°C with crysis or 3dmark vantage in a "warm" room :) i can only recommend it to you. or just buy a usual gtx285 and save some cash. doesnt matter which subvendor, all cards are the same despite retail and sticker.

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    yeaaaaa, SLI is very new and no games support it :3eyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3501&p=1

I can keep posting, but you get the idea, 295 wins in EVERY single benchmark by at least 10-20fps.

For an extra $80-$100 it's a no brainer, you are basically getting two 285's with 4 less ROP's/64bit less BUS bandwidth. This means that even when SLI isn't used (the only thing negative you have to say) you are still getting a slightly dialed down 285 (less than 5% difference in performance). IMO the 285 will die out very quickly if the price doesn't come down, anyone with eyes and an extra $80 is going to buy the 295.

Edit: also just a fyi, I'm still running Crossfire 4850's due to the fact my GTX 295 is having trouble getting shipped to my address, might be 10 more days before I get it, but it is ordered.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  7. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I can, they don't want a dual gpu card, period
    Heat, Power, new drivers with no sli profiles for that new game you want to play + any other little niggle issue you may have with sli.

I know what your saying about only being $100 more for all the extra performance, but as was shown with the 9800GX2 (and before that the 7950) - nvidia will abandon you, its proved its point - yes it can make a faster card than ATI. When its focus switches to the newer 45nm cards soon who knows how the gtx295 will be supported ? It may be great, but it may also be crap.

I jumpd on the 9800GX2 bandwagon all those months ago, boy if i could switch back time.

However, I think the GTX285 is overpriced also for its performance, if anything its made the GTX 280 a more compelling choice

8. newhit

newhit Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Ti Classy
    Sorry if this is a hijack but another 280 to go with my current 280 to get SLI seems the best route for current 280 owners.........be gentle, it's just an opinion:)

PS
    sig not updated yet, waiting for X58 bits:nerd:

9. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    Ya I just purchased a gtx285 Evga effin love it!! came from a ati 4850 huge difference and can not even hear the card. I did not have to tweak the fan nothing installed the latest driver and no issues. I am running Xp right now had windows 7 installed but beta is ending so dont feel like formatting it again for an os that is ending for now!

10. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    beta is useable until august 2009 you know?

11. Rogue John

Rogue John Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti w/GTX 285
    Got my "Red Hot / Early" delivery of a nice new BFG GTX 285 OC+.

Whipped ATI from my system and setup 30" HD & 20" LCD.

Left @ defaults @ fired it up.

Fallout3 - Soo much easier to see distances. Water is unbelievable, no, spectacular!

I am old. I started playing Quake with a Voodoo card, NT3.51, SB16, etc.

I have to put this mornin’s experience equal to that excitement of seeing a 3d image for the first time.
    Play in SW mode sometime to see what we had till 3Dfx & id showed us the way.
    The guys from 3Dfx are up to their old ways of driving the gamma. Everything is much brighter & more definitive in detail. There isn’t as much graphic noise! As I look of in the distance in Fallout, I see the buildings , flora & (her sister) fauna in more definition as with the ATI everything was blended together without the definition. Granted this is partly due to the GPU specs too. But basic difference between A & N is N is brighter if you want it. @ you want it in FPS’s.
    I got 147.16 fps with the HL Lost Coast Video Stress Test – Again the water !
    The U3 Adv. PysX Mod looks great as well!
    So, that’s what Crysis looks like in Gamer mode! Swimming under the water is really nice.
    I’m very glad to be back with the Green Team. May the spirit of 3Dfx live on within you @ without you.
    So I’m one happy ‘ol fart! Now I need to go frag some teeny boppers.

12. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Easy, but my XFX GTX 285 wasn't $400, it was $350 at Newegg. I don't have $500 to spend and the maximum I could spend was $350. So it worked out nicely.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150334

13. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
  14. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    How do you figure? It's $324 before rebate. That would be $25 less in real money or $45 more for the GTX 285 if you include the rebate. I don't mind spending $45 on the 55nm design from the numerous reviews I read.

The card I bought was a straight $350, no rebates needed. I'm happy thanks.

15. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Ummm? You realize that rebates are money right? Wait a month or two and you have cash in hand.

GTX 285: ~$400 (or as high as $435: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130447 )
    GTX 280: ~$300 (or less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500053)
    GTX 295: ~$470 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127404)

Difference is $100, which is a pretty hefty increase for almost zero performance increase. I understand that you all are very gung ho about your purchase, but you can at least admit the 280 is the smarter purchase value wise.

Even if I found the 285 for $350 (Good luck with that one) I would still either get the 280 for cheaper or spend more for the 295. IMO the 285 is not economically viable at the current price point.

16. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB

Damn man, let the guy be happy with what he got. If he wanted to spend the extra bit of money, it is his dammed money. Not everyone is going to piss and whine about spending some extra on a product they have spent the time to research. He found some info he liked and went with it. Good or bad he has a very nice card, and from the sound of it, loves the hell out of it.

17. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Talking value vs performance means I'm "not letting him be happy"?

Didn't realize how touchy people are about their purchases.

18. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Thats pretty much why I just got the 260 maxcore 65nm. I got it for $200 shipped when the 55nm came out. Or I could have spent $270 for a 260 maxcore 55nm. But why pay $70 more when its about the same performance? At least thats how I saw it.

19. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    The extra $20 I might get 2-3 months from now I don't consider to be a deal breaker or maker. If it was a $100 rebate then yeah it would be a big deal to me. The amount I am paying now, and what comes out of my pocket now, is what matters to me now.

$325 - GTX 280

$350 - GTX 285 (XFX GTX 285)

Sorry, the $25 upfront difference in price made it perfectly viable for me and I'm sorry I'm not going to bother digging up the reviews for the quotes that swayed me in this direction either. You're entitled to you opinion as I'm entitled to mine.

As far as the GTX 280 goes, yeah it's a great deal right now and I won't argue that.

Also just to be clear on this point, if I did have to pay $400 for the GTX 285, I would not have bought it as I don't have $400 to spend. As I stated before, $350 was my absolute maximum. So if I hadn't found that Newegg deal on the XFX GTX 285, I would likely have gotten the GTX 280 instead or kept my old card.

So in the end, I didn't mind spending the extra $25 for the GTX 285, again not counting the $20 rebate, that I would get 2 months from now and round and around we go.

20. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Thanks, you just restored my faith in mankind. :)