Nvidia ForceWare 185.20!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bokloz, Jan 1, 2009.

1. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    I'm fine here. 3 profiles, switches flawless manual or via RTSS.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm having problems with the 181.20 WHQL drivers with Fallout 3 having updated from the 180.84 betas which worked fine. Do you think it is worth me updating to the 185.20 ones or are they unstable with Fallout 3 too?

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You could try installing the drivers in Windows Vista SP1 compatibility mode I suppose...

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Try reinstalling the monitor drivers...

5. Emig5m

Emig5m Guest

GPU:
    BFG / 8800GT OC / 512
    These drivers fixed the UT3 crashing problem of the latest official WHQL's and performance is better (nearly as good feeling as WinXP - no mouselag but a little "jittery" looking when turning or looking closely at walls. The slight "jittery-ness" effect is there with every driver I've tried in Win7 however)

All refresh rates are now selectable where most drivers have limited me to 85Hz (like the Windows 7 Update drivers). I don't understand why official nvidia drivers don't have all the refresh rates selectable?

I don't have to use a refresh rate locking utility as long as desktop/game resolution is the same.

With these drivers I'm getting closer and closer to being able to use Windows 7 exclusively at the same performance of WinXP. But there really needs to be work done to eliminate the refresh rate problems in official driver releases where even refresh rate utilities seem to not even work like they did in XP.

6. Captain Mazda

Captain Mazda Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580
    Left 4 Dead is a bit flaky with these drivers. Intermittent freezes or pauses, maybe once every 10 games or so. Nothing serious, but still noticeable.

Some shadows on Lara during cutscenes still flash in Tomb Raider: Underworld. It's going to be up to Crystal Dynamics to fix that.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I had problems with both 181.20 and 185.20 in Fallout 3. Currently I'm using the 180.70 driver which is rock solid for me.

8. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    No stability problems with UT3 here either, BUT... Like with 181.20, the wrong SLI mode is used for UT3 here, I have to override it to "Force alternate frame rendering 2" to get my expected fps back. Also, I have to do that for another game in the list that has SLI on. And now on reboot, I find those changes were reset! WTF??

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  9. Emig5m

Emig5m Guest

GPU:
    BFG / 8800GT OC / 512
    The main thing I like about these drivers is that all possible refresh rates become available. This is important to me because I use a CRT and like to use at least a 100Hz refresh rate (even 85Hz looks flickery and fatiguing after being used to 100+ for so many years). Why do official nvidia drivers have such limited refresh rate selections anymore? In fact, the drivers on Windows Update for Windows 7 have a max selectable refresh rate of 85Hz! I just don't understand why? I remember back in Win98/WinME I never had these stupid problems with refresh rates.... everything was just there and worked.

10. RockMarc

RockMarc Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 275
    Same thing here! Love my CRT! I'm also sick of nvidias half-assed driver development! RivaTuner does the trick most of the times! I'm using the refresh rate overrider.

11. jimy1021154

jimy1021154 New Member

GPU:
    XFX9600GT 780/1950/1080

How did you do that in RivaTuner? PLease explain me, thanks.

12. Gasketse

Gasketse Member

GPU:
    EN GTX295
    EN GTX 295 Crashes all the time with this driver.....at least when you enter games.....

13. Emig5m

Emig5m Guest

GPU:
    BFG / 8800GT OC / 512
    Color/gamma controls for video isn't working in this driver.

14. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    This driver suxs doesnt install on my vista 64. I get black screen after reboot

15. abb1

abb1 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    Hmmm....you come to the conclusion that the driver sux BECAUSE it does not work on YOUR system. I have installed this on my Vista 64 system and it installed just fine with NO BLACK SCREEN, so the problem is your system and not the driver. The only problem that I had with this driver is that my Fallout 3 would not even load with this driver, that however, does not mean it sucks but rather that it still needs some development. In your situation, I would start looking at your system and the drivers that you have currently installed. It is obviously conflicting with a driver at bootup.

16. Random Guy

Random Guy Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 SLI
    I had the same issue. Did you use DriverCleaner or a similar program prior to installing these? I did, which I thought may have been a culprit. Not retried installation though.

17. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    using windows 7 7000 this driver crashes alot in l4d and has to restart the driver software.

18. abb1

abb1 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    Well, I have reinstalled these drivers and tested them out with several games. I LOVE the OC and it works especially good with my GTX 295. The only game that these dont play on is with Fallout 3. This is weird because Oblivion plays fantastik with these and Fallout 3 does not, and they are basically the same engine. Oh well, I love these drivers, I am just hoping that there will be a Fallout 3 fix with these drivers.

19. Phil Pendlebury

Phil Pendlebury Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB PCIE SC
    Vista 64

Installed this driver OVER last official driver release.

Works perfectly for me with 1 small flaw; L4D occasionally crashes when exiting.

UT3 FSX RA3 etc. all great.

20. RockMarc

RockMarc Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 275
    @Jimy: You can also try to use the custom resolutions option in the nvidia control panel. Just type in your resolution and refresh rate. klick test and/or aply and there you go!