Mirrors Edge = 4780X2 Killer

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Plug2k, Jan 14, 2009.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Left 4 Dead is thousands of times better than Mirror's Edge. If you don't have it, buy it. Buy it now!

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    By the way, if you're going to rip from Koroush's Catalyst optimization guide, at least give him the proper credit.

3. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    great game and runs ok!! 1650x1050 all max AAX16 AFX16 40-65FPS.

4. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Multi GPU problems are the reason why I don't buy multi GPU cards :)

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    You are still mistaken, my friend. What you copy pasted was from tweakguides, and, let's be honest that while he is very good at what he does, his words have to be read properly to be of any use.

That being said, I have a 3870 and 3850 crossfired together. Not a 4870x2 obviously, but works with similar driver principles. I also have a G15 and Everest which allows me to monitor, real time, my GPU utilization AND temperatures. When Cat AI is forced off, my 3850 does nothing. It has 0% utilization as well as a normal idle temperature of 45~ degrees. If switched on, regardless of the game, the card suddenly spikes to 90-100% usage, and comes up to it's healthy load temp of 70~ degrees. Furthermore, performance, when it is turned off, is what one would expect from a single 3870.

Note: As of the 6.7 Catalysts, Crossfire users should set Catalyst A.I. to Advanced to force Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR) mode in all Direct3D games for optimal performance. Once again, Catalyst A.I. should only be disabled for troubleshooting purposes, such as if you notice image corruption in particular games.

This part here actually doesn't prove your point at all. Yes, it says that Cat AI to advanced forces AFR, but nowhere does it say that turning it off would leave Crossfire active or inactive. In fact, I would dare say that the line about only disabling it for troubleshooting can be inferred to mean that it DOES in fact disable CF, since the majority of issues one would see when using CF would be remedied by turning the secondary card off.

Hopefully that was thorough enough.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    People who use 3870x2 or 4870x2 can disable one gpu renaming the game executable to gothic3.exe.

7. james1o1o

james1o1o Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

What game was it you were playing.

8. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Every game I own.

From Supreme Commander to C&C3 to F.E.A.R. to Fallout 3 to Portal to UT3 to Oblivion...Well I'm not gonna list all my games, but every game will behave in this way, because it is the way the driver is designed.

9. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    Running dual video cards is, and always will be, a stupid gimmick that's more hassle than it's worth.

Cry all you want, but at least I can enjoy games the day they're released with great performance.

10. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    No one is going to cry, we're just going to laugh at you while we enjoy them at higher resolutions, faster frame rates, and higher AA levels. The word gimmick would indicate that there is no benefit from running dual video cards. I can assure you there is, and that issues are not as widespread as you would believe. For instance, with my current configuration (which I have had almost since the 3k series was released) I have been enjoying the same frame rates in most games that you enjoy with your 4850 today.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009

11. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    This is just a silly comment..... :bang:

12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Not really.

While what constitutes "more hassle than it's worth" would vary a lot from person to person noone can deny that multi-GPU setups cause more issues than single-GPU setups.

As for myself, until the day we've done away with graphics APIs and GPUs are treated as any other programmable processor I'll stick to single-GPU solutions.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have fun playing at 1280x1024 :)

14. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    1920x1200 - 2x AA - 2x AF - VSYNC = OFF - TEXTURE DETAIL = HIGHEST - GRAPHICS QUALITY = HIGHEST - PHYSX = ON.......gets me 45-80fps

7 + Mirrors Edge + Physx = silky smooth, erection enducing gameplay :infinity:

15. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    I'm not saying that the level of difficulty for various people is different, but to say that it's "a stupid gimmick" is pure ignorance.

16. lenix

lenix Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    So what's the proper solution for 4870x2 owners ? Renaming exe ? Or disabling AI ?
    Please confirm this because I'm getting the game soon!

17. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I didn't bother renaming anything or disabling the AI, 1680x1050 4xaa max settings and working fine. Ran fine with 8xaa for me too, but I'm not that picky so I dropped it down to 4x.

18. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I see your point, I simply meant it's obviously a matter of opinion and thus there's no real right or wrong. FWIW I pretty much consider it a 'stupid gimmick' myself as well, even if I'd probably put it in more diplomatic terms. ;)

Granted, there are obvious advantages as well - namely performance. I'm just saying that the criticism aimed at multi-GPU solutions, from both camps, is pretty much justfied.

That said I can certainly agree that generalising the entire multi-GPU concept as a 'stupid gimmick' isn't very productive. I fully expect multi-GPU setups to become the norm for gamers and enthusiasts as soon as we're moving away from the ugly software solutions we're currently dependant upon to support them.

19. Project2501

Project2501 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870 DK TOP
    It is a stupid gimmick.

I ran dual 7900GT's back in the day in SLi and received maybe a 25% increase in frame rates, in only about 30% of games.

Paying twice as much for something, yet seeing extremely limited return for the money.

THAT IS A GIMMICK

Live and learn.

EDIT - I have yet to play a single game that doesn't run fine in 1680x1050 on my 22" LCD. I run everything on max settings and generally use 4x AF. I don't like AA because that also I find to be somewhat gimmicky, since the higher the resolution the fewer jaggies you'll see anyways. And it's not like you're noticing jaggies when the action is flying :eyes:

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I like 1280x1024, not planing to upgrade ANYTIME soon :)