UK Police to start hacking home computers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Palerider, Jan 5, 2009.

1. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Think it's bad in England. Try Singapore. Everything is controlled there including how many people of a certain race can live there (%), to what bank cards you can use to get cash out at certain machines (cannot use none domestic bank cards to get money out at certain cash machine such as HSBC because the bank is not Singaporean, which is a joke).

However there is next to no crime, everythings on time, the cities are spotless, quality of service/goods is excellent. Guess you can't have it all though right....

2. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Meh, ethnic minorities don't really get preferential treatment :/ where's your evidence for that? They work terrible jobs, for terrible pay and terrible hours :/

I should know, I worked alongside some of them when I left 6th form (signed up with a temp agency, to tide me over in between leaving 6th form and finding my current job)

And still, catching pedos/terrorists or not, it's an invasion of privacy. Are you saying you'd rather relinquish all privacy than have the minutest risk of a terrorist/pedo not bothering to use encryption run free?

And besides, where do they draw the line? Sometimes lawbreakers need their freedom, especially when it's laws a large number of people don't agree with. I mean I do mdma on a regular as hell basis, and since that's a crime, they could break onto my computer :/

I mean, there are laws I don't agree with, remove my ability to dissent by policing every detail of my personal life and we're left with very little freedom at all.

Tbh there's a lot to be said for having a single conscious hand orchestrating a countries growth/development. Do they actually infringe on privacy at all though? Or just restrict personal freedoms?

3. Doogus

Doogus Member

GPU:
    2x XFX GTX260 BE (216)
    Yes there is definately significant infringement of privacy. I heard the average singaporean citizen gets photographed an average of like 10-15 times (I can't quite remember the number, but it's around there) a day, and I also know that both phone calls/sms's and internet chat are monitored on a fairly regular basis.

However, I have lived there a total of about 7 years, and while my privacy has been infringed, I do not feel that my personal freedoms were necessarily restricted. I mean sure i couldn't own a gun, say, but I could as a skinny little 7-year-old white kid get on the subway or in any cab at 3am by myself without any fear. So maybe some things are restricted, but that does make for real practical freedom you don't get many other places.

Having said that, I get the sense that the country has a rather dark underbelly that I wasn't exposed to and therefore didn't feel was a problem, but is very real and very scary. Most of the evils the country possesses are related to drugs, or rather the regulation therof - there really are multiple people (i've heard figures but can't remember any) hanged each month for drug trafficking, among other things. You can just blow it off and say that "well, people shouldn't go there if they aren't going to obey their rules, but some of the punishments are just inhumane. I heard for instance of a guy who some of my friends actually knew personally who came into the country to visit his parents, and was pulled over or sthg randomly, and had a joint found on him. He was given 20 years, which i heard was later shortened to 10. Like seriously, that's a life ruined. the guy was 20ish, he'll be 30ish when he gets out, no job, all his friends will be married and whatever... wtf. That's just not cool.

So yeah, i guess im sayin don't do drugs in sing and it's a great place.