Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. tuco99

tuco99 New Member

GPU:
    4850 / 512MB
    Hi guys,

I've been trying to get this working, following the instructions, but it does not seem to work.
    After i edit the profile file, i open CCC and activate the profile I juts edited, but tnothing happens. The fan speed ist still at default 27%. Any ideas?
    I'm using Vista 64bit and the latest Catalyst 8.9 drivers.

2. Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Also looking for a little help. I had this working for quite awhile and just today updated to the new drivers. Ive tried reloading-resaving the profiles (which are still there from before) but the fan speed isnt changing anymore.

what am I missing?

3. Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    oops....just had to unlock overdrive again...

4. zool3r

zool3r New Member

GPU:
    ATI visiontek 4850
    Hi, i'm new here,
    just read the full thread, already done the fan fix at 45 %, it works; but i have a question, can i set 2 automatic fan speeds? 1 for idle, and another for full gaming use?
    I mean to say, 2 speed in the same profile, i want it working at 30% at idle and at 65% at full load; i want it because 65% is to loud for me when im not gaming, but that don't care when i'm playing :).
    It's possible?

5. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    yea, the default in 8.9 (probably 8.8 too) is at about 30% for idle (<= 80 celsius) and goes up to 60-70% in full load (<= 90 celsius).

6. zool3r

zool3r New Member

GPU:
    ATI visiontek 4850
    oO, wait, maybe i'm not understanding, r u trying to say that the 8.9 CCC, had already that fan fix?

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I have ver. 8.8 and had to set mine manually.

8. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    zool3r, just that the default is pretty good.

9. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    I'm seeing artifacts in Far Cry 2, is it a heat related issue ? On load its about 80C, and I'm using 8.12.

10. whizz

whizz New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd4850 512mbDDR3
    sapphire HD 4850 512 MB SINGLE SLOT CARD

HI,BEEN BUILDING / USING COMPUTERS (MAINLY FOR GAMING BUT NOTHING TOO EXTREME LIKE SOME OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE) FOR SOME YEARS NOW.I HAVE COME ACROSS PROBLEMS IN THE PAST BUT NOT LIKE THIS ONE!!!.
    JUST BUILT A NEW BOX,MSI P45 ZILENT,CORE 2 QUAD,ECT,BOUGHT A NEW CARD FOR WELL OVER WHAT I HAVE EVER PAID IN THE PAST, A SAPPHIRE HD4850 512 SINGLE SLOT,NOW HAVING BUILT AND COMMISIONED, PLAYED WITH GAINWARD, BFG,AND SAPPHIRE IN THE PAST I THOUGHT THAT THIS CARD WOULD BE THE DOGS****, BUT NOT SO,THE FIRST CARD I TOOK BACK TO THE SUPPLIER AND TOLD HIM THAT THE AUTO FAN FUNCTION ON THE CARD WAS NOT WORKING AND THAT THE TEMPS THAT THE GPU WENT TO (79) THAT THIS CARD WAS PROBABLY NOW FRIED. NEW CARD IN HAND INSTALLED AND HEY PRESTO ,EXACTLY THE SAME BUT I MANAGED TO MANUALLY BOOT THE FAN IN ,GET THE TEMPS DOWN, CREATE SOME PROFILES,PUT ICONS ONTO DESKTOP, GOT A GOOD SELECTION ,BUT WHAT A LOAD OF BUL***** THE MANAFACTURER OF THIS CARD ARE SUPPLYING GOODS OF A NATURE WHICH TO ME ARE NOT OF A TOTALLY USEABLE BUILD QUALITY, I.E AUTO FAN IS NOT PROGRAMED TO COOL THE CHIP CORRECTLY ON THIS CARD!!!!ONE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO RELY ON HAVING TO TWEEK ABOUT WITH MANUAL SETTINGS TO KEEP THE CHIP COOL,WHAT HAPPENS THE FIRST TIME THAT YOU RUN A 3 D APPLICATION AND FORGET TO SET FAN SPEED T0 xyz?(after running at a slower quieter speed),FRIED CHIPS!!!
    A NOISY INADEQUATE COOLING SOLUTION FROM A WORLD CLASS PLAYER.
    IF I DON`T FIND PROPPER SOLUTION TO THIS, I WILL PROBABLY TAKE CARD BACK AND GO TO OTHER MANAFACTURE, PITY THOUGH, CARD ITSELF IS VERY GOOD.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008

11. AkiraBlaid

AkiraBlaid New Member

GPU:
    DDR 4gb
    I used this fix and can tell no difference in the fan speed or change in temperature.
    Created profile, amended .xml, reloaded profile, no change.
    Something I'm doing wrong?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The temperature issue has been run into the ground on HD48xx cards. If you didn't know the card had temp issues prior to buying....you obviously need to do more reading before buying components. Also, the GPU can run upwards of 115C safely. Breaking 115C is a concern. Idle temps with the stock cooler upwards of 80C are safe....load temps, which typically range from 105-110C...are also safe. GPU's are NOT as sensitive to temp as CPU's. As long as your GPU is 115C or lower....your card is safe. If you have issues with the card operating within this temperature range...either return a perfectly good card, or order the Zalman VG-1000 GPU cooler and stop whining like little kids.

13. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Reading all of those caps gave me a headache lol. This is old news but I do agree with you 100%.

You will find little sympathy for your complaints here I'm afraid. Most guru's feel it's the consumers obligation to correct such problems for some bizarre reason.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=271431

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's my opinion that you have little right to complain about a problem that has been so widely published, should you still choose to buy the component. I knew about the temp issue with the HD4850....I chose to buy it anyway. I tried the recommended fan speed "fix" and wasn't satisfied with a measly 15C temp decrease at idle. I made the choice to replace the stock cooler with a Zalman VG-1000. People that refuse to do the same really have no reason to complain about a very well documented issue....especially when it has been documented countless times since the release of the HD48xx series cards.

15. AkiraBlaid

AkiraBlaid New Member

GPU:
    DDR 4gb
    Except that my card is running between 84 and 90 degrees F, with no noticable change at all in temp or physical speed of fan, so despite prior knowledge of heat issues, there seems to be something not working right regarding the speed change here. This wouldn't be such a problem except it seems that when producing graphics it tends to 'black out' and the signal cuts for several seconds. If the card can in fact hold up to 115 degrees, why the blackout issues? And further still, why no affect of the fanspeed fix?

16. AkiraBlaid

AkiraBlaid New Member

GPU:
    DDR 4gb
    Removed all ATI apps and got newest 4800-series Catalyst Control Center, which has a simple fan-speed slider in the Overdrive panel. Easy.

17. Adam^

Adam^ Member

GPU:
    Asus 4850
    Well I OC my card to 750/1138 ran gta came out max temp 72C

Seems for once a stock fan works !

18. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    @ Whizz, I also agree 100%. Why do consumers (normal ones :) )want to buy a product which you have to tweak in order to let it work properly. Nonsense. Not that I have temperature related problems, and my old 1950XTX (90-95C) is alive and kicking, but this isn't very user friendly. What if a consumer knows nothing about airflow and lets dust clogging up everything? A 4850 would fail because of that heat. Not that 90C is a problem, but in that case, 100+ would be possible.
    These companies should be more user friendly when it comes to products like this.

19. BattleStar

BattleStar Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512
    I bought the Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512 "Dark Knight" after reading both user and expert reviews stating it was silent. It sounded like a leaf-blower compared to my 8800gts640. At first i used the manual fan setting 20% in ccc with temp variation from 52 (C) idle to 77 (C) load but still the 4870 sounded like a leaf-blower until i logged in to Vista. Then i read an article in xbitlabs on Radeon Bios Editor (RBE) and thought i give it a try, the result is a silent 4870 with temp variation from 52(C) idle to 72(C) load.

The procedure for me was:

1. Extract the old bios with gpu-z
    2. Edit the fan settings in RBE and save to a new bios file
    3. Boot from a dos usb stick and flash the edited bios with atiflash (Atiwinflash is not secure on 4870:s with gddr5)

The new silent fan thresholds: (PWM ramp = On, PWM ramp (%)=1)

Temp (C): 0 55 60 65 70 75 80 100
    -----------------------------------------
    Fan (%): 20 20 23 28 35 50 100 100

The old Asus leaf-blower fan thresholds: (Hysteresis 4%)

Temp (C): 40 50 60 70 75 80 85 100
    -----------------------------------------
    Fan (%): 50 60 70 80 90 95 100 100

20. Krigsko

Krigsko New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850 1024mb
    Hello.

Can anybody here tell me, what the difference betwen using this method to alter the fan speed and using the program Rivatuner is, if any.

Thanks.