Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    everything in the store is overpriced, but the same thing happens at best buy, both crap stores overprice everything and offer generally lousy service.

2. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb
    anyway.. you said you we looking for a new job right??? good luck, hope you find good honest ppl to work with... i looked recently today at some warehouse prices in SA-sell to our retailers, went up to the assistant to ask if he could process my order, he looked at it for a while, laughed stated that there was no such thing and tore it up, i was totally gobsmacked, why the hell did this idiot just rip it up!!!!!
    on that sheet there was an order for
    1x core i7 920
    1x gigabyte x58 extreme
    2x evga gtx 295's, most ironic part wqas, I had spoken to the same guy who had said they had stock

3. Mark

Mark Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    U sure u don't live down the road from me lol?? There is a small computer shop here that i used to go into. I got quite friendly with the owner and would sometime help him out when he got busy if i was rained off or was bored. Going back 10years or so he really did know his stuff. I bought a lot of gear off him at reasonable prices too. as my hobby developed and researched the technology's involved i realised he wasn't keeping pace with the market. Its amazing how soon his knowledge diminished. I felt embarrassed for him listening to the advise he would give customers. Trying to sell someone a GPU on the basis it had more VRAM or selling celeron CPUs to be used in 'gaming' rigs. Some of the PCs he sold were poor for the money he charged for them.

4. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    It never ceases to amaze me that the general population could know so little about computers. I mean, virtually everyone has or uses a computer on a daily basis, yet they know so little about them. :3eyes:
    I'm not saying that everyone who uses a computer shoud be able to build one, or even repair one. But, every one who uses a computer should have a little general knowledge of them.
    If you drive a car, you may not be able to re-build the engine, but I bet you know how to add oil or jump-start it when needed. I don't see why computers should be any different.
    That's just my opinion. :nerd:

5. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    lol i know what you mean i went in to PC world just looking around then decided that i would ask if they had a cat 5 crossover cable to conect 2 pc's to gether and he sead no sorry they dont do that i was like what yes they do he was like no they can only be used for linking hard drives to the LAN network i was like no they can be used from computer to computer so i sead i will have it any way but in my case im 16 he was a bout 20ish so obv im wrong because im younger and then as i was walking out he started wispering to his coligue some of them are total idiots i dont get how they can be employed in pc shops without knowing what a pc is well thats what it feals like to me .

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I remember the first time I ever walked into CompUSA....was looking for a video card. Found a Diamond StealthIII S540 Extreme for $120. Guy walks over and tells me "You'd be better off with onboard graphics. That's the slowest video card ever produced." I looked at him and said "If it's so slow, why isn't it's GPU already on a motherboard?" Guy tells me "It's too slow to be used on a motherboard. What you need is this Voodoo4 card. It's only $200 and has twice the performance." I asked him if he was gonna give me the extra $80 to cover the price difference and he laughed and walked away. I was only 17 and working part time. $120 was a LOT of money for me back then. Well, I returned there back in 2001 to get a new monitor, which started pouring smoke after 30mins use. Guy at CompUSA had the nerve to tell me it was normal for new monitor to smoke a bit and that the monitor was just fine. Then they tried to charge me 20% to restock a defective item that he claimed was fine after he walked into the back room (which has a LOT of windows and no place for employees to hide) and set the box down. He wasn't even back there long enough to unpackage it!!!! You'd think I'd have learned by lesson at that point...right? Noooo....I went back!!!! Again!!!! Went to get 2 sticks of Corsair XMS2-800 (dual channel kit). Told the guy "I want the Corsair XMS2-800 dual channel kit..." The guy grabs the PNY DDR2-667 kit that costs $150. So, I told him "No, I want the Corsair XMS2-800 dual channel kit that's $80. You know, the one immediately next to the PNY you're trying to rip me off with..." Well, the guy gets upset and tells me the PNY is better....so, I tell him "Either you can give me the Corsair XMS2-800, or your manager can after he or she fires you...but either way, that's what I plan on buying." Well, I get to the cash registry with my Corsair XMS2-800....the lady at the register asks me if I want to buy the extended warranty for $50....told her "By the time this memory fails, your store will be out of business..." Low and behold...memory is still working just fine....the store is out of business though....

7. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670

CompUSA used to use commision, you were payed on productivity $/hr amount, and you would hit higher commisions based on the attachments per ticket. And if you had an item with high gross margin, oh lawdy.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah.... it's the commission pay that turns people into morons. They see that little bit where they get paid a bit more if they sell something that costs a bit more, and they start foaming at the mouth and talking backwards.

Kinda like when you go into best buy... see people looking at computers, and the employee's seem to almost always say that they don't get commission. Yeah... there's a chance they don't.... but there's also a chance they do.... which makes you think "Get the f*ck away from me before i gouge your eye out with this conveniently available USB cable." Can almost always tell when some company pays commission.... because some dumbass will follow you around like he's your shadow, and you have a huge MONEY sign taped to your back. Someone starts following me like i'm force feeding money into their pockets, i walk out the door. Just some people don't understand if when they ask "can i help you find something?" and you say "no, i'm just looking around".... 9 times out of 10 it either means "I know what i'm looking for and don't need your help, or "I'm not sure exactly what i'm looking for, but i have a general idea, and know where they're located, so go the f*ck away."

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'll say one good thing about places with commissioned employees. at least their around and thier over-willing to help in anyway.
    the non-commision places, if i need something out of a lock cabinet...i have to wander around the store and find someone, who often times go gets someone else..b.s.
    heaven forbid if theirs no price tag and i just want to know how much something is, they act like thier busy or something

10. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    HAHAH I move to Salisbury, NC from California about three years ago and i seach on yahoo for computer shop near Salisbury and N Tune and 1 click come up. They both repair and sale computer parts so I went to N Tune to check the place out and I need to get a new PSU at least 650w+ good brand (crosair,TT,or somthing good). Well anyway i got there and look around I ask the owner do they have Power supple unit he say yes he point me to some cheap 350-400w and the price are 80-90 buck. Than i ask him do he have any 600w+, he look at me funny and tell me what am I going to do with something like that try to power the whole block? I didn't say anything i just walk out of there. A few month later my Striker Extreme give me the CPU INIT while i wait for RMA i thought i go check out 1 click to see if they have a mobo i can get and sale my SE when it return. Got down to Concord found 1 click ask the guy there if they have a high performce mobo, he don't know so he take me to the back to talk to his boss the owner i told him i want a mobo that will support stocket 775, do 45nm and SLI he look at me and say i can see you that server board for 110 buck and if the price is too high he can get me a lower mobo...Than tell him again that i just want a mobo that will do SLI and be able to OC and money is not a problem in fact the mobo i'm looking for is up in the $250+. He than tell me that his shop is open for three year and i'm the first one to come and ask for gaming mobo. I stop looking for PC shop in NC now i'm just buying from online now....

11. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    Bestbuy doesnt have commision, and neither does Circuit city. thats why people are useless at both locations. as mentioned before very few have job integrity, but most of this lies at the fault of local management, these companies hire morons, weaklings, and degenerates.

12. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    LOL :banana:

That's a shame. Eventually he will lose costumers and things would be difficult for him. I kind of feel sorry for him.

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    you got people working at pc stores btw that would use a hammer smash in a cpu.
    so before thinking off letting some one else build your system ;p.

14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    That's the beauty of where I live. In general I know more than the people who work in shops and I don't speak the language so I go to the shop, write what I want and they get it for me. They never try to sell me something I don't want.

15. <=V.H.F=>A3ON

<=V.H.F=>A3ON Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9600 pro 256mb
    THAT IS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!!
    BUT you know people these days are just to lazy to give a dam

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Circuit City...lol....I hope they shutdown. I went into Circuit****ty in July 07 looking for a Creative Zen V Plus 4gb. Couldn't find a salesperson anywhere in the store...fortunately they got other electronic devices I like. Well, I had been there an hour when some idiot FINALLY walks over and goes "Something I can help you with?" At that point, I'd only been staring into the lil glass case for 30mins....

Got a computer shop next city over from me called "PC Doctor". They're nice people as long as you're not interested in buying anything or having them fix a computer. A friend had problems getting a DVD drive to work, so she dropped her computer off with them cuz they're close to her house. 7 days later, they call and tell her that her computer is done but refuse to tell her how much it cost. Well, we get there to pick it up and they tell her that she needs a new motherboard and processor because her current motherboard and processor (which was only 2 weeks old) didn't support DVD drives and the processor had failed while they were installing her drive. Then they proceeded to tell her it'd cost $750 to replace the motherboard and processor and that she'd also need a new video card because her brand new, 7 day old Diamond Viper S550 Extreme wasn't compatible with any of the "new parts" that were on the market. Now...this computer was only 2 weeks old to start with...no piece in it had been on the market more than 6 months. After getting the PC back to her house, we found out that they had removed the heatsink and processor and bent several pins then reinstalled the processor (I guess to convince us a brand new Intel processor failed)...To avoid the headaches, she picked up a new motherboard and Athlon processor from another shop...only paid $250...

17. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    The three times a week i work at Circuit City i can tell you i see just that, the Installations are also a ripoff there, whether it be for your car, your TV, or for those morons who purchase them for your pc >_>.

Thank goodness i have a real job, only reason why i picked the job up was for the Intel retail edge, asus, evga, and Samsung discounts :p.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    ...and they hired you. So, uhm, are you one of those idiots there that i'd like to kick in the testicals?
    which CC is that again?

trust me, there are people that cant jump start a car, change oil or a tire...my g/f is one of them and likely a reason why AAA exists.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  19. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    Probably, since ill overcharge you for radio installation, i make incentive in that department :p.

and by that i was refrencing management.

20. Forbiden

Forbiden Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS @ 810/1900/2200
    Agreed. I spent a good 3 months trying to get on at my local best buy before finally giving up. I was looking to do floor, warehouse, OR geed squad. I didn't care. Just needed some extra change to go with my regular 7-4 job.

They have some stupid 100+ morale and values test that is damn near impossible to pass if you actually think about any of the questions. Seems they are targeting brain dead people.

I did the test at least 10 times, had both of my friends who already worked there do the test a few times each, and then finally had my wife do the test. None of us could pass it.

Go figure :bang: