What do CPU 256 cores look like in Windows

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 10, 2009.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    256 core processor....how many people do you think will try to run WinXP on that? lol

2. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Isn't that just a form of super scalar
    Take serial code and parallelize it in real time. The problem is, is that serial code just doesn't fit parallel hardware. The only way forward is to make smarter programing languages and smarter compilers that can make parallel code.

3. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Or maybe the power needed will be a normal PSU ! If you can make a 256 CPU at 100 EURO the the PSU shall not be the problem !

4. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    Solaris could do it due to nature of SPARC (ie. 1 cpu, 4 cores and every one of them are like 8??? logical cores).

WHat about Linux, I think it doesn't have problem for atleast like 4x4x2 threads...

5. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Quote from channel9 video.

6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I think they are moving away from that thinking. The idea in these terascale processors will be to break down everything that needs processing to smaller and smaller specific chunks... rather than find some way to ram it through the pipe as quickly as possible with some "magic sauce". Reverse hyperthreading will never be as efficient as we want it to.. if they can even pull it off.
    What will happen is they'll break the work load down into.. this is a HTML thing.. or a decryption thing... or java code. Okay, sent that to the java core., which is made to burn through java and only that.
    The speed and power efficiency increases when you no longer have general purpose processing... but PERFECT processing for every single type of operation you put in.. you are talking biblical increases in performance and multitasking ability. Maybe a 1000X faster than what we have now. That's before taking into account future CPU nm shrinkage... and other process advancements.

You only have to look to new set-top blu-ray players and on the fly h264 video encoders in cameras and so on. My Sony S350 can play 40mbit H264, with a second video stream and 6mibt audio.. plus menu layers blah blah etc... but it does it all only using 12 watts.... cause it has custom chips.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I bet it would still struggle with Crysis :p

8. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    That's a good thought, and you're probably right.
    We already have separate cpu's for different types of processing, the physics chip, and graphics chips are an old example.

But we'll always need "universal" coded cpus. otherwise it'll work out just like graphics processors. New forms of video technology (directx) simply wont be supported on older hardware.
    If we have a core specifically made to run Java 6 (example) then when java 7 hits mainstream, the core will need to be replaced. And if it's part of a single cpu. then the entire cpu will need to be replaced regardless of if anything else is out of date.

My vision of a future computer, is a motherboard with a single host CPU, and a dozen or so slots for insertable all-in-one processors.
    A GPU would fit into one of these sockets, and it would contain all the video ram and everything and wouldn't be much larger than 1 or 2 square inches.
    The motherboard would just be a connector for these devices and have their outputs. It would do away with all pci slots. Your motherboard would come with all connectors, but if they are used or not would depend on your plugin hardware.

9. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Yeah that was just an example... software updates would screw it up. But you get what I'm saying, the "general processors" will slowly become less and less general. If you've got a 100 or a 1000 cores.. then they don't need to be as general and you can make little clusters better at doing some stuff. There will still need to be a general cores for when there's too much load. But in theory they would decrease as the software/hardware integrates.

10. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Heh, someone's been watching episodes of the universe ;) They hype it up a bit, the chance of a cme hitting even in 2012 is rather low. Good show though :)

Plus, even if it does hit, we'll have some warning and just turn everything off for a little bit :)

Anyway, on topic, do you guys think we'll ever really have that many cores in home computers? ^^

I've got this image of us going back to dumb terminals, where we hook up to some giant monster of a multi-core computer in our local area and purchase a certain amount of processing power.

Probably not for gamers, but maybe for everyday computing.

Sort of like those proposals Microsoft keep spamming out where you buy a computer, but they bastardize it until you pay for the extra speed to be unlocked or w/e.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Doubt it. At the range of current technology progression we'll probably have light/biological computing by 2020. I can almost guarantee there is going to be a major break through in one of those fields in the next few years - a lot of companies are dumping a lot of money into R&D. The current problem with having these processors with hundreds of cores isn't even how to program on them.. but what to program for them. 90% of the applications out there don't need to be scaled to many cores - and thus doing so is pointless.

I mean the average user isn't playing games - they are surfing the web, opening emails, typing stuff in word - maybe the occasional media person will watch some HD videos. None of this stuff requires 256 cores, none of it requires 4 cores. And since we've basically slammed into the thermal threshold barrier thingy in which we are virtually at the limit of clk speed, I see modern day computing fading out.

This isn't even like a crazy theory/idea that someone thought up that I'm posting here or I thought up and I'm just rambling about... I'm a third year computer engineer at RIT and pretty much every electronics class I took the professors all said "just learn and understand the fundamentals, because in 5-10 years you probably won't be working with transistors." I mean to me it's absolutely unbelievable that when I get out of college even basic things like XOR gates may be produced by things I've never experienced before. And I personally think that the entire industry will be moving towards light/bio computing once a break through happens in those fields. This multi-core thing is fun to think about but absolutely useless to consumers.

Btw - I'm pretty drunk and I'm astounded I was even able to type this as well as I did, so if it makes no sense sorry. Hurrya for Baltimore though

12. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Heh well that's far more coherent than any of the posts I've made on guru3d after a night out ;)

I didn't just mean we're not going to have 256-core computers in our homes though, I mean do you think we'll ever have PC world peddling ultra-fast dna computers to home consumers?

*Actually, tbh, I really can see PC world staff telling customers they need quantum computing to run word and ie17 at the same time.

Besides I think it'd be more efficient to have dumb terminals, maybe tablet pc style things with improved interfaces. Otherwise there'd be so much processing power going to waste ><

Or I hope they'll at least put some boinc style software on there as default :)

13. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    Oh yeah. Win 7 can scale up to 256 cores but can it really multithread? Like Linux Kernel in most of the applications.

And eventually I remembered that almost all super computers are running Linux because of the native support for multithreading almost to infinite cores.

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    ya was eating my lunch and just decided to watch this universe stuff on youtube i tell ya it blows my mind this ****

the fact we can fit 1 million earths into the sun is crazy not to mention the fact that our sun is relatively small for a star it just crazy, the universe is a magical but most dangerous place