Bought a GTX 295

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nichtganz, Jan 8, 2009.

1. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    WTF.. I resent that! I'm only 27 man! I actually got my Doctorate when I was 23. I'm an overachiever. :banana: Plus I'm not a Texan. I'm actually from Germany but I kinda got sucked into this place. Then of course I heard about the U.T. Computer department and that just sucked me permanently.

But enough of that crap. I'm a nerd, I did more then I probably ever should. Yes, I'm still waiting on f'n Newegg to confirm my shipping. I paid for Overnight so the damn thing better be at my doorstep tomorrow afternoon when I get home LOL.

2. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    Did the smart thing, removed the GTX 295 from my order from newegg and did the 90 day upgrade through EVGA currently #80. I went down from 82 so it shouldnt be long :p.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    well, I hope you guys get better numbers than the 4870X2 xfire rigs, I dont like ATI... they crash too much =D

4. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    just inventoried my video cards, i really have something going here.....

1 55nm GTX 260
    1 65nm gtx 260 core 216
    1 9800 gtx
    1 8800 GTS
    1 Raedon 4850
    1 Raedon 3850

5. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    LOL.. I had

2 BFG GTX260 MaxCore OE (65nm) *sold them*
    2 EVGA GTX260 Superclocked (55nm) *about to be sold*
    1 EVGA 7900GT KO *still lingering around*

6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I still want to get this but my gf would kill me, she'd be like "BLAH BLAH BLAH we can't go out as much BLAH BLAH BLAH" ;)

I'll see how these two 4850's do in CF on my TPower i45 board (8x/8x in CF Mode) The if I need more power I'll go for one GTX 295 since I can't run SLI cards on my board (CF only), except with the 295 who has SLI built in.

7. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    oh my. the 285's just came out if your gonna SLI, but i just want a single card, and considering they fixed the microstutering issues the 295 seems to be the way to go.

8. mtmouse

mtmouse Member

GPU:
    2 280gtx water cooled
    I have 3 evga 8800 gts's setup with Koolance water blocks (which I would Sell)
    2 280 gtx's same water blocks (which I might sell)
    And I am going to buy at least 1 gtx 295, probably evga.
    and some other misc. "state of the art"(at the time) video cards.

9. LiquidKhaos

LiquidKhaos Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295 @ Stock
    Nah I'm not really wanting to SLI with two cards.. That involves me stuffing my X-Fi card between the video cards and I just don't like that LOL. I'm going with a single and if needed, I'll go quad one day LOL

10. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    The Quad performance diffrence seems quite minimal, just OC the 295, and spend the money on waterblock. apparently some german company is already designing a waterblock for it. im new with water cooling but depending on how reliable and good it is ill go with it.

11. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    I picked up one at Fry's today during lunch. It is indeed about 5 pounds of video card. Glad they aren't charging by weight. Seriously, pick up a box if you see one in the store.

I can't install the card just yet, but I took the cowl off and it is all business inside. The fan is serious too. Wonder if leaving the cowl off would improve cooling.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Why do you think running undirected air flow would improve cooling? The card already runs very cool for a dual GPU card, I would leave it be unless you are wanting to add a fan near the card.

13. Davy1shoe

Davy1shoe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3090ti
    Yup i agree i just put my 295gtx in over my 2 watercooled 8800gtx way faster plus in 2 weeks its getting a waterblock flung on it.

14. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    The cowl covers the top PCB, or bottom depending on your perspective, and only covers the cooler's housing. It doesn't direct airflow at all. I would call it ornamental or protective. Additionally, the cowl is perforated then painted with rubberized material. It doesn't allow for much air and I think the paint holds on to heat.

I can snap some pics if the community would find it useful. I've got to replace a fan on my CPU cooler, so I'm taking the system apart anyway.

In other news, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I had two 9800 GTX's and have seen a major improvement in frame rates. I haven’t done much formal testing as I've had too much fun playing games, but here are my 3dmark Vantage scores
    2x9800 GTX SLI GPU score - 6,533 <-- probably a problem with this test
    1x BFG GTX 295 GPU score - 19,529

On the fun side, I'm a bit of a demo-whore. Nvidia's Medusa demo runs completely smooth. It was very choppy previously.

15. cad cam man

cad cam man Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    @ ZoinksS2k was that 19K with Px?

16. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 295
    If Px is PhysX, then yes.

17. greentea908

greentea908 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285 XXX
    LOL all that video cards paid by credit card??? haha the us citizens....

a corsair 1000hx ROFL....im still using my CoolerMaster M520 with the new GTX 295...

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok assface thats enuff U.S.A bashing for one week.
    can you for once post with out saying what you just assume for a change?

19. JumperR

JumperR Master Guru

GPU:
    GtX 570 @ 900/1950
    Lmao.... But wont last long :)

Who knows. , to be safe u should get a better PSU

20. nichtganz

nichtganz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI N670 PE 2GD5 GTX 670
    Machen Sie nur spass? Seriously the card calls for more than 600 watts o_O, not to mention us Americans DEMAND BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS, most people could want more than they could possibly need. In Germany many live in Fachwerkhauser, in the U.S EVERYONE HAS TO OWN A HOUSE WITH TWO FLOORS A TWO CAR GARAGE AND A HUGE FRONT AND BACK LAWN :p.

Besides electronics and video cards especially are very expensive in Germany, when i was there i bought most stuff from the UK. I would invest in a new PSU to protect that investment.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009