Vista 64bit help please!! Very Slow!!!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jan.b.brooks, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jan.b.brooks

jan.b.brooks Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    I just ordered a new computer from newegg and I am having some problems with Vista 64bit. These are the components of my computer

ECS X58B-A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

So I get everything together and it works great. I could not decide weither to go with XP 64bit or Vista 64bit. I originally loaded it with XP 64bit and everything was working great! Then I decided I needed Vista 64bit. It loaded without a problem. Now ever since the first start of Vista everything is going really slow... it does not lock up but it takes over 10 mins to boot and everything is moving very slow. I tried reloading all the drivers and that did not seem to help. I also set all the bios options to default and that also did not seem to help. So any suggestions or help would be great!!! Thanks

2. Scythe

Scythe Guest

GPU:
    Asus Rx 480 Strix 08G
    What HDDs are you using?

3. jan.b.brooks

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I also took the jumper out so it would run at 3.0Gb/s

4. vindassius

vindassius Guest

GPU:
    8800GTX
    how does the pc react to booting into safe mode???

5. jan.b.brooks

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    It works but still slow, could it have something to do with the hard drive? I took out the jumper to force it to run at 3.0gb/s so what settings should I use in the bios? It is on IDE or something. Is AHCI any better??

6. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Have you tried to tweak it and did you do an upgrade install over xp 64? I have found that doing an upgrade install can cause some issues. Also vista likes to have free reign of your system for indexing, and adjustments for a while. It usually takes a day or so for Vista to fully adjust the system. I had the same issue when I installed vista 64. Thing seemed slow as the HDD was always working. After a day or so it stopped working all the time and I had a fast and responsive system. Just some thoughts.

7. jan.b.brooks

GPU:
    ATI 4850
    Thanks for the input. I did not upgrade from XP I did a fresh install of Vista 64bit.

8. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    It still takes time to get all the settings and indexing that Vista want to do.

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    if you want it faster now disable superfetch( Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services ), some like it, i hate it as it fills 4gigs of ram with your frequently used apps( you have 6 gigs making it worse ), meaning its caching all that stuff once you log in and takes a few minutes before the harddrive stops chugging

You might also want to disable indexing on the Vista drive( right click on the Vista drive/properties and click the Indexing tick box off ), it'll slow down your searches, but i leave it off all the time. ?Ive also disable ReadyBoost