Need help from another 4870 user

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Superdan, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    Hello everyone, i've had this problem for months now. It all started when i got my new computer and the 4870 fan wouldn't stfu. I tried reflashing with a different bios and this just made the card unuseable (no signal when i turn computer on) and since then have followed the method here: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/152
    and tried to fix it with as many bios' as i could find but none fix my problem.

Asus themselves have a bios updater tool that can found on the support area of their website (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us) unfortunately i cannot directly link to it but you can find it from there if you follow a few steps. Or i have uploaded it here: http://superdan.christov.net/ and you can download it from my webspace. The problem with this is that it flashes your primary display adapter from windows and i cannot get into windows using the adapter i need to flash :mad:

Anyway, my favour to ask is that somebody uses this tool to flash their card and then save the bios as a .bin or .rom that i can then load onto my card using ATIflash. Since this bios has been made for my card there is no reason why it shouldn't work. However if for some reason it still doesn't work then at least i can return the card with no mention of reflashing other than using the asus tool.

2. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    You just need to download an appropriate BIOS for your card. You can get them from techpowerup. Just google them, they have a whole database of BIOS for video cards. Then just load with ATIflash.

3. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB
    Hello Superdan,

I do have an original bios of 4870 but its taken from Sapphire 4870 512 MB version, I don't think it will work with Asus 4870. But hey don't disappoint there, I searched a wonderful ASUS bios for you, here you go:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196551

This bios however sets your default core clock to 815 MHz (with same voltages) and also fix fan profiles (now that is really impressive). I have carefully read the above mentioned thread and seen that a lot of the 4870 users flashed their cards with this bios (Even those who are not using a card from ASUS) and are pretty happy with the results, so you can give it a try.

Please keep in mind that you should use ATITOOL to flash your card from dos, don't flash it from windows.

Wish you luck :)

4. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    Thanks for your help, but unfortunately i have already tried this bios.
    (And i use Atiflash from dos)

5. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
  6. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    yeah, i found that post before and sent him a private message but he hasn't answered yet and that was a few weeks ago and there are no other contact details for him :(

7. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
  8. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    sadly yep

9. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    hmm..... There must be some reason those bios files are not working on your card ? this seems strange. Flashing from dos is pretty straight forward and card starts to work on next boot. I don't know why your card is refusing to start.

Anyway will search more bios files for you and let you know when I find something, I'll try to do this as soon as possible because I know its really frustrating to have a dead high-end card in your hand.

10. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    This maybe a stupid question, sorry, but how did you enter the flash command in DOS with atiflash? Did you use ID as 0?
    And one more thing which may sound stupid. If you use AVG, which has a certain link-scanner, it may corrupt your downloads!

11. fille007

fille007 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Ati 5970
    hi,

superdan,sgive me your pm
    will send my bios

12. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    i use "atiflash -f -newbios -p [index] 4870.bin. Replace [index] with the number of your graphics card from the -i command."

and no avg here :micro:

13. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Ok, because I had the same non-boot flash problem! When I downloaded my nice new bios from the internet, the AVG link-scanner vaused the downloaded bios corruption! And atiflash didn't notice that because I used the -f command!

14. fille007

fille007 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Ati 5970
    superdan,just readed my asus bios out with gpu-z
    so if you want it,give me your pm

15. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    I've sent you a pm with my email address

16. fille007

fille007 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Ati 5970
    ok

will send it in a few minutes

17. fille007

fille007 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Ati 5970
    did you received it?

18. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    yes i have, thanks very much... will try it in a few minutes and see how it goes!

19. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Superdan and fille007,

Glad you guys met finally :)

I wish you luck again superdan, hope you come back in gaming soon.

20. Superdan

Superdan New Member

GPU:
    asus 4870
    ahhhh... perfect it works! Thank you so much everyone- especially fille007!

I still have the original problem though which is that the difference between my fan being at 10% and 100% is 2300rpm and 2500rpm. Something is obviously wrong and i need to do something in the way of recalibrating it. Does anyone know how i could go about this?

Here is a link to some pictures i made a while ago which ought to help describe the problem... http://superdan.christov.net/

Edit: would it be more sensible to create a new thread for this?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009