GeForce GTX 295 Quad SLI gaming test [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Another GeForce GTX 295 article yet this time around more of a combo where we'll bring the GeForce GTX 295 head to head against the Radeon 4870 X2 in 4-way GPU gaming. That's right both cards are...

More...

2. OBR

OBR Member

GPU:
    Lot of GFXs ...
    In Call Of Duty 5 YOU have to disable FPS lock! Go to console and type ... con_maxfps 1 or 0 ... enjoy

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I know, it is unlocked.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    nice man
    quad sli/cf looks like fun....even if the thing did not run all that great in every single app
    with all those gpu cores on the board i'd still have a big grin on my face.

btw
    boss i know your not the the "d.j" to take requests but......3d03 uses more than 2 cpu cores for both camps.
    only thing besides vantage that doesfrom futuremark ....maybe you might think about adding it when next bolt on card comes out?
    you know just for scaling not for scores.

5. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    The GTX 295 and GTX 295 in quad SLi is a lot like the Motorbike..

The triumph rocket III.. its an insanely stupidly powerfull bike and then someone goes and takes this stupid bike and wacks a super charger on the side!!

So.. the GTX 295 is the Rocket II.. In Quad SLi its a Rocket III with a Super Charger!!

INASNE! power Power POWER! (followed buy a Tim Allen grunt lol)

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Gaming: Mass Effect 1920x1080 ?

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah people lately have been requesting wide screen resolution testing.

So for reviews starting this year we'll do a mixture of that. A couple of games in wide screen, others 4:3 etc and indeed 1920x1080 for the Full HD lovaahs.

8. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    O_O Single 295 beating 4870x2 in CF in a lot of cases.

Good work on the review HIlbert.

9. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Hilbert can you please test Crysis or Crysis Warhead in Enthusiast/Ultra settings? These configurations should be powerful enough to run a few benches in highest settings. Great review otherwise!

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great , Great review Hilbert , Big Props for such a well done article :thumbup:
    I was waiting for this review for a long time. Seems that Red team needs to get those drivers bugs iron out , i had your same issue as the one describe on your Review ,but a fresh install of Vista Solve it. Its freaking unbelievable how fast Quad GPU gaming its when its working correctly , i know i enjoy it to the Max and get inmerse on those games for long hours at a time ,loosing track of time until wifes screams back to me you need a break honey lol.

Thanks for an Awsome Article.

chispy.

11. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    I would read the review a little closer as Hilbert clearly states that only one card is working on that particular game(s), this is always a problem with quadfire and quad sli systems as driver support is so sporadic...This is why I would be so nervous investing is such an expensive setup.

Interesting review though, good work.

12. justifireb2b

justifireb2b Member Guru

GPU:
    3x Asus GTX280 TRI-SLI
    Hoped there were some gtx280 tri-sli results in the charts.
    Wonder wich Nvidia setup is the king now ?
    I guess it's still the GTX280 tri-sli because higher clocks and more memory.
    If anyone find a comparision between those two setups, let me know :)

13. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT
    Would you be able to test the Quad SLI setup using the latest 185.20?

I would be interested to know how 295 sli copes with ambient occlusion as well as 64x and 64xq AA

A reply to know if this is possible would be good.

Great article btw

Thankyou

14. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    GeForce GTX 295 Quad SLI gaming! What a beautiful and totally insane setup at the same time! I wish, I could afford one. :D

Those benchmark results are just mind blowing...

A very nice article and much appreciated, as always. :thumbup:

15. zillmc

zillmc New Member

GPU:
    OCZ Reaper 1066 4gb DDR2
    Good article and it's nice to see some other fans of Quad-SLI. I've been running my BFG 9800GX2 1gb in Quad-SLI for some time now and I'm still really enjoying the performance.

I was curious if there are some benchmarks available for how the 9800GX2 Quad-SLI stacks up to the GTX295s, 4870 X2, GTX 280 SLI, etc. Did you guys happen to test this as well or is my best source still the VGA charts available on guru3d?

16. Cold Fussion

Cold Fussion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 260 gtx (216sp)
    300 fps in F.E.A.R at 1920x1200 with 4x aa... No one said that was going to be possible in 2005 :O

17. 3Dghost

3Dghost Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    Atomic power yeah...too much for me I guess...but I`m considering it. Just have to upgrade my PSU...never done that...later on with better drivers this setup will surprise us again (I hope)

18. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, if I saw Crysis get over 100 FPS at 1600x1200 then I'd be happy. It's understandable that it doesn't with just 1 295, but come on, 3 more and it goes up like 20-30%. What a total waste of money.

Glad to know that Crysis still runs like crap no matter how much power you throw at it.

19. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I agree with you, Alexstarfire. I think, the result with one GTX 295 at 1920 x 1200 @ 49 fps and the two GTX 295s @ 58 fps is a bit, hm, "unspectacular"...
    But as Hilbert mentioned it in the article, it's more than likely that we're experiencing a lack of frame buffer here. Very interesting, imo.
    Does this mean that the GT300 cards will feature 1.5 GB or maybe even 2 GB of video memory?

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I see your point cyber, however i think you really only run out of frame buffer at 2560*1600 and i should imagine few people game at that res. So dont think theres a gr8 need to for cards with 1.5GB yet, let alone 2GB.

Though you did mention this on the GT300 so by the time there out who knows what the requirements for the latest games will be then? Still not sure it would be necessary though, not to mention they'll be GDDR5 wonder how much that would push prices up if running 1.5-2GB of RAM lol ;)