8800 GTS 320mb + 640mb mix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Wybe, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Wybe

Wybe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX275 XXX 896mb + 24"
    hi all,
    my housemate got a 260 maxcore OCX (lucky bugger) so hes given me his old 640mb 8800GTS, and i have a 320mb one already.

so my question is ...

Will they SLi? or

Will it be better to run 640 for graphics an 320mb for PhysX stuff?

thanks for replies!!

2. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    try it, im not sure if it'll work.

if you use the 320 as primary, and the 640 as secondary, it might work. dont think so, though.

if you have games that you play, that support physX then use the 320MB as a physX card.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    No you can not use them in SLI but what MM10X said use the 320MB as a PhysX card.

4. Wybe

Wybe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX275 XXX 896mb + 24"
    hehe thats a shame i would have loved the extra 96 cores for better frames but i spose 640mb is actually more beneficial on the 1920x1200 resolution

now its just the waiting game for mirrors edge PC :p

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yes they will SLi as they are the same cards, just one has half the memory of the other, but i wouldn't SLi them, as they will only give you the memory from the card with the lowest amount i.e 320mb in your case, so its pointless as your still going to memory limited, which means still having to turn res/AA/AF etc... down. :)

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Crossfire you can mix memory sizes not SLI.

yes there is a work around you need a the 163.44 drivers ;) for a start then you need coolbits, anyways i'm not gona drag on heres a thread that it *works* but only one person seems to have gotten it to work :confused: think hes telling porky pies.

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=7711

7. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    As far as i knew they do work in SLI but the 640MB card will act as a 320MB card.

Seems kylzer knows more about it than me but i thought it did work.

8. Wybe

Wybe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX275 XXX 896mb + 24"
    ill try it now, ill see if it does/doesnt work

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Good i realy wana know to :)

10. Wybe

Wybe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX275 XXX 896mb + 24"
    ok i driver sweeped, powered down, wacked the 320mb into lower socket, put 640 in the original socket, booted windows, installed drivers, reboot, and windows thinks that there are 2 seperate display adapters, and in nvidia control panel there are no SLi options or multi card options anywhere.

is this cos 640 went in top PCIE port?

or just fubar drivers?

edit: just to say if physx system software doesnt recognise anything im gunna take out 320mb and just boot up the 640 on its own. and then maybe put the 320mb back in just to see if it notices the change.

edit 2: physx software did nout.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009

11. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Did you use an SLI bridge on the two cards? And also switch over the single/dual graphics card chip that is seated in the motherboard?

If not, then that may be a problem...

HyBrId

12. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    From what i heard it works, i always assumed that it does work as long as the core is the same then the card with the higher spec's will default to the card with the lower spec's, and i thought RAM was included. Apparently not.

When the cards first came out there was a lot about it on this forum, so search about the forum and see what you can see. The 30 second search delay is annoying but you can use Google to search the forum, i think it's something like site:guru3d.com keyword.

13. Wybe

Wybe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX275 XXX 896mb + 24"
    @ hybrid, yeh i did use an SLi bridge but didnt know that i had to move a switch on the mobo, ill try it out tommorow when i have more time.

ive taken the 320mb card out for the time being, run out of patience switching things round for one day :) thanks for all your help. ill update tommorow when ive had more of a play.

edit: checked in my mobo manual says nothing about an SLi jumper or switch on the motherboard, so i assume it detects it on its own.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    If they also have to have the same memory, as well as being the same cards, then thanks for that information as i wasn't aware of that, i thought having to be the same cards was bad enough, but if the memory has to be the same amount as well, then jesus its even worse, Nvidia really need to bring SLi out of the stone age, as thats terrible that, they've only just added multi monitor support to it as well, another thing that should have been added years and years ago. :D :D

15. Wybe

Wybe Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX275 XXX 896mb + 24"
    i cant tell through the magic of the internet, but was that sarcasm? the two smileys on the end hint to me that it was.