Reaching 9x400 on my Stock e8400 (c0)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Rubenvb, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    This has been bothering me ever since I started with 400fsb and 7.5x to get the ram in Sync 1:1... (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2969001)

I'd like to reach 3.6 GHz on air cooling with acceptable temps (<65°C). If this is impossible, sh*ts on me...

My current settings are these:
    FSB: 400
    FSB Strap: AUTO (think it's 333)
    multiplier: AUTO (which is 9x on a e8400)
    Dram frequency=801 MHz (close enough i guess :p)
    timings: auto
    ai transaction booster and static read control and ai clock twister and such on AUTO (not overclocking ram, so i see no point in messing with these)

And now the voltages:
    vCore: 1.2500 (1.224 in CPU-Z)
    NB voltage:1.10 (standard 45nm)
    FSB termination voltage: 1.10 (idem)
    SB voltage: 1.5 (again, the standard value)
    vdimm: 1.8 (standard kingston valueram ddr2-800)
    all the fancy gtl and pll stuff on the standard value to prevent AUTO from changing anything.

My system boots, but Prime95 gives an error immediately into testing on the first core... not on the second (even after +-15-30 mins). Is this an indicator of something?

I'd like to keep the vCore voltage down (stock cooling and such), but might change some others (like NB and FSB termination) IF they provide me with stable results. So my question to you friendly people is: what to increase?
    (PS: auto vCore for 400 fsb is around 1.27: IBT skyrockets temps after a couple seconds, so that's a nogo)

Please understand a oneline response like "up the vCore" gets me nowhere. Thanks for the help!

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Well if you're running small FFTs and it's always the same core that fails it most likely is a case of insufficient vcore.

3. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Try 1.35 vcore, try nb up to 1.45 if you have 4 sticks of ram. Make sure ram is set to manufacturer specs accross the board. I never use small fft I always due blend.

4. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    @Morbias: I tried but... the temps were again above 70 °C in IBT... Don't like that at all.
    @Straykatt: I've read that the max vcore intel recommends is near 1.326v. No way I'm going to 1.35. NB is at 1.1 and stable, no need to set it outside the safe 1.05-1.15 range intel specifies.

Some more info: I set vCore on auto again (which is 1.28 in Windows). Temps are too high for my taste... I'm giving up on the 3.6GHz on stock cooling :(

Tomorrow (or some other day), I'll experiment with gradual fsb upping and keeping the multiplier maxed. See where that gets me...
    Thanks for the help, but i don't think it'll work with my e8400.

5. Ianevey

Ianevey Member

GPU:
    POV maxcore 260gtx 896mb
    Just saying

I dont think this will help you really but it might help you draw a conclusion.

I have the system in my sig.

With my 8400 E0 stepping cpu and my p5ql pro p43 <--- i know they are different dont flame me....

All i had to do to get my cpu at 3.6ghz was to change the fsb strap to 400 and i had 3.6ghz / 1600mhz fsb in windows, now admittedly i have 1066 ram so the ram is at 1:1 but you can surely use the asus divider in bios to get it back to around 800mhz.

I changed no other setting at all in the bios everything was on auto or enabled.

My vcore is 1.16 in windows and my temps are 32 degrees idle and 38 full load.

Dont you think one of your cores could be weaker than the other, or do both cores go to 70 degrees?

If you need any more info i will gladly try and help.

Ian

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    This , and accepting the fact that you will need to increase your voltage's may get you a stable overclock.

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Maximum safe voltage for an e8400 is 1.3625v, absolute maximum is 1.45v. I've just noticed that you have FSB termination voltage set quite low, you might want to try upping that first. Getting some better cooling would definitely be a good idea.

Max FSB VTT is 1.45v, but you shouldn't need more than 1.3v for the FSB you're running.

8. Carbon

Carbon Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 C216 H2O
    Are you slowly working your way up to these settings or did you just slap them in?

What's your Vdimm? I would raise your NB voltage, by the way. Try 1.20 or 1.25 and see if that helps.

9. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    @Ianevey: that helps a lot actually... It gives me hope about running 3.6 ghz at around 1.2v on my c0! The only problem is I have valueram at 800 mhz so the fsb strap can't be set to 400.

@contrvlr: I know what google is but have only found a lot of high overclocks, often on an e0 and with aftermarket cooling! I tried getting at 3.6 GHz using their experiences, but apparently that wasn't enough.

@everyone else: Ok, i'll try slowly upping the voltages on nb and fsb termination and see if that helps. (but no higher than 1.2v, 400 fsb isn't a big overclock)

One more question: Is it possible to set the fsb strap to 400 and still run my ram at 800 mhz somehow. Remember: my bios doesn't have the option divider or anything like it. I believe several options need to be set right to get a 1:1 divider at fsb400 with 400 fsb strap to nb. Anyone know how?

Thanks for the help!

10. Ianevey

Ianevey Member

GPU:
    POV maxcore 260gtx 896mb

11. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    I posted it not to be a smart ass, but to give you access to as many guides as possible.
    If you couldn't get 3.6 using the settings provided in some of those threads you probably have other problems ( most likely the value ram )
    400 FSB isn't a big overclock, the Asus overclocking should be able to do that, why don't you give it a shot to see if the ram can handle it ?
    I don't recommend using it on a permanent basis, but I always run it for a couple of minutes before diving into manual bios changes.

12. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    @contvlr: Thanks for the tip on trying the ASUS AI Suite thing.. I'll give it a try later today.
    @Ianevey: the screen is the same yeah, but the settings I entered are different lol (can't run my ram that high) (if that's what you're asking?)

BTW, I'm running my ram at its rated frequency (800+-1 MHz ddr2) so that shouldn't cause any problems, should it?
    My idea was: plain and simple get a 1:1 ratio with upping the fsb to 400 and leaving everything where it is (multiplier, strap, timings... of course change the voltages accordingly). That shouldn't stress my system too much I think. (20% oc on cpu and fsb, ram running standard). Or is there something I'm forgetting?

13. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    A little update on my messy oc:
    Asus AI Suite was sh**: it ups the voltage in exactly the same way the auto setting in BIOS does, so that's a nogo.

I decided to try something else, as reaching a stable 3.6 GHz on stock doesn't seem very possible anymore :(( As of now, I have set the FSB to 450 MHz (max multiplier at 7x for a 3.15GHz clock speed) and am running my ddr-400 rated memory at 450 mhz (so that would be 450*2 for a 1:1 ratio as always). My Vcore is set to 1.18125 in BIOS and reads out as 1.152-1.16v in CPU-Z. This is also the stock voltage that the mobo applies if not overclocked. I'm actually surprised my valueram can take it at 1.8vdimm!

Three questions (if anyone still wants to help):
    - I tried setting the FSB strap to 400 to reduce stress on the chipset, but it wouldn't boot at all. All info about the strap setting contradicts this kind of behavior at 401+MHz FSB...
    - Is there an advantage to running 450 fsb at a 7x multiplier vs a 400 fsb at a 7.5 multiplier (excluding the obvious CPU clock speed difference). Will my memory bandwidth show a great increase or is the difference i real-world gaming neglibible?
    - My max CORE temps are 68°C on IBT max stress. (vs max 65°C on default non-oc settings). The difference is not big, and that's good, but is a default IBT stress temp on default clock/fsb/vcore of 650C (HWMonitor Core temp readings) bad? Is my HSF connected properly or could it be like 5° lower by reattaching the hsf?

14. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Trying to squeeze out a better oc with your cpu with the stock cooler just blows..
    I currently have the same stepping e8400 as you but a different mobo (p35-ds3p).
    I have an aftermarket cooler (thermalright ux120e) and temps still aren't that great.
    For me to run stable @ 9x400 I use 1.25625v for the cpu
    I reach 3.6Ghz stable and error free.
    My max cpu temps using IBT for a 20 loop test 68c
    My max cpu temp running Prime95 with small fft's for 72 hours 59c
    Ambient room temp 28c ~ 38c (damn high humidity all year round where I live)

I can run lower volts to the cpu (1.16875 ~ 1.22500v) and still pass a 3D Mark 06 bench set to loop for 10x without error
    I can also run in windows without error and my cpu temps drop around 5c+..
    But it fails Prime or IBT at the lower volts.

Edit: I found I could even boot into windows @ 1.35v @ 9x515 (4.635Ghz)..
    But no stability and Temps greater then 73c with any form of load put on the cpu and ending result in a BSOD reboot.
    To be truthful I'm not game to even try and stabilize the system at those speeds with air.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009