Had an idea for Nvidia / ATi tech sharing deal

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jimbobjames, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jimbobjames

jimbobjames Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS 640Mb
    So I reckon Nvidia should swap Physx support on ATi GPU's for SLI support on ATi/AMD motherboards.

This would end all current proprietoryness and we could all be friends and live happily ever after.

The end.

(It would also mean I could buy a Phenom II when they hit and use my 8800 SLI until I can afford some new cards......)

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ... X58 chipsets support both Crossfire and SLI. If the future chipset ATI/AMD uses is anything like that, your idea goes right out the window. Also, no, no company would make a deal that random and primitive. That'd be far more of an advantage for AMD, nVidia would never do that.

3. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    ... and the world is made of candy?

4. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    And I thought I saw a pig fly by my window too.

5. jimbobjames

jimbobjames Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS 640Mb
    I'm smart enough to know that it's unlikely to happen. As for it being more advantageous for AMD....

Physx is not really selling games right now, DX11 compute is just around the corner and Crossfire has worked on Intel and AMD platforms for ages. When Nvidia had the best chipsets and/or GPU's then maybe, but Nvidia are increasingly looking like a company trying to justify themselves in a market they no longer have control of.

p.s I like Nvidia GPU's (drivers) and AMD CPU's (remembers when Intel was utterly dominant and a Pentium 75 was £800) unfortunately both companies are making me choose between one or the other, if you go Intel you are less constrained.

6. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Nvidia will never license SLI on AMD chipsets

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    It will never happen but its a nice thought.