Having a hard time figuring this one out - Any Guru to save the day?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Dupoint, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    Hi Guys,

I've managed to get a fatal BSOD on my Vista 64bit SP1 OS, and I can't boot into the OS at all. Not even safe mode works. :bang:

Below is a detailed summary of the problem,etc:

ISSUE DETAILS:

I get the following error, just when I should be seeing the Vista logo glow:

*** STOP: 0x000000.. (some hex codes here)

*** win32k.sys - Address [hex codes][date stamp]

WHAT CAUSED IT:

I had installed "Advanced System Optimizer (v2.2)" :puke2: and used it to fix registry errors and do a registry defrag. The defrag informed me that it would need to restart the system to load the new optimized registry, and I waited for it to reboot.

Only in this case, I've been getting that error ever since. Nothing seems to bypass it, not even "Last Good Known Hardware config" or Safe mode.

So any ideas or hints, guys? Is there anyway to salvage this OS before calling it quits and pulling out my installation disk and *shudder* do a reinstall? :banana: :wanker:

All of your thoughts and assistance would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  3. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
  4. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    Anyone with ideas? Anything???! :(

5. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    First try using the Command prompt as explained in the link i gave and then run a disk check (chkdsk).

The fact that it happened after running a reg clean likely points to some corruption with the registry which is bad news. I also looked around and your not alone with this problem so i guess the software has some issues.

You can using a very cumbersome and pretty hairy method replace the system registry hive with a backup (C:\WINDOWS\System32\config\RegBack). The problem is the backup isn't likely to be very fresh resulting in the need for reinstalling stuff.

This link show how (funny enough it's from another reg cleaners web page)
    http://www.fixregistry.com/regheal/help/windows2kxp2003doesnotboot.htm

Same deal here only more detailed and using system restore for the final step (because the backup isn't fresh so to get the system running again they use the old backup and then using system restore after that to bring it up to date. If you haven't got a restore point there is noting you can do other then reinstall whatever is missing in the backup)

6. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    Thanks a lot for the detailed response and the precious time that you have obviously spent in looking into my issue! :)

I really appreciate it, if you ever happen to visit Dubai, look me up, I'll treat you to a drink! :cheers:

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    No problem let me know if it works. Though i should say I'm not sure what else to try. One option would be to try using the backup of win32k.sys in case it's the file that was damaged. But as i said it seems more likely to be a registry issue considering it happened after using the reg cleaner.

In any case this is how you would do it.

1. Boot the cd and run the command prompt

2. From the prompt type

ren C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys win32k.sys.old

3. Now type:

copy C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-win32k_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18145_none_14ebd8e653002694\win32k.sys C:\Windows\system32\

This is based on my own install of Vista x64 SP1 fully updated, i.e. on my system win32k.sys is version 6.0.6001.18145 so i would think it's the same for you.

Because of the crazy long path to the file another option which might be better is simply to rename the file and reboot. The system will blue screen when you boot it. Now start the CD again and it will automatically start to preform the repair (it will say "your computer was unable to start"), when it has finished the next time you boot the file should have been replaced. At least this is the case according to my own test using a virtual machine.

8. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    I guess the problem lies with the Registry, as you and I have already suspected.

I had already renamed the win32k.sys file and attempted a reboot, but it still resulted in a BSOD. The other method to replace the entire registry hive was a long shot, and I was getting tired anyways. :bang:

Well, I reinstalled Vista64 to a different partition, keeping the earlier one (in case I ever felt the need to experiment, lol) and did a reinstall of all drivers/apps *yawn*. :biggun:

My concern was that since some of the games that I'd been playing were GFWL based, the saves would be lost. I was esp worried about GTA4, since I had almost 45% completion in that.
    Well, managed to transfer the saves without issue to the new OS, and now I am a happy camper! :D :nerd:

Thanks a lot for your help man, if this experience has taught me anything, it's always a good idea to keep restore points!!