Whats the max oc on a core i7 920

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Muhammad, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Muhammad

Muhammad Banned

GPU:
    4870 * 2 HIS 512MB EDITIO
    wanted to know the max oc on a core i7 920 .

i have a msi mobo x58 , and i took it all the way to 3.6 but it wont boot ,
    i am not changing voltages etc .

then 3.5 but windows did not boot properly.

at 3.45 it was stable but after a while while intalling devil may cry 4 it booted and took me to default values again .

hence i kept it now at 3.2 , so far its stable .

if an oc is not stable , will the system reboot after a while , i did not get any blue screens etc , the same thing happened to me when i oc my e6750 to 3.2 it was fine in the begining then when bechmarking fry cry 2 with 2 4870 the sytem rebooted in the middle of it .

hence i keep it now at 3 ghz , and its now i think stable .

would appreciaite some help

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Cpu's vary on what the max oc is. However, when you have a reboot after playing a game etc. for a bit, it's usually heat related. You lowering the clocks is also lowering the heat a bit, and then you have stability.

But it kinda sounds like you need to up the voltage a bit in this instance, if you want to go any higher. Just make sure to keep an eye on the temps.

3. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
  4. Muhammad

Muhammad Banned

GPU:
    4870 * 2 HIS 512MB EDITIO
    i dont know what i did , but before i could change the frequency on the mobo
    and i got 3.6 ghz on the core i 7 but now going above 3 ghz the system does not boot properly.

i also tried the mother board defaults , it boots but when i try to oc above 3 ghz it does not boot .

before i was runing at 3.2 , what did i do wrong , i have a msi mobo ..

x58

helppp

ppl are runign the 920 core i 7 stable at 3.8 ghz how the hell can i do that

5. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    take your time&read more. I find its harder to stable an OC on corei7, but easy to boot into windows. comparing to core 2 quad.

otto

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Read an overclocking guide for the I7.

3.8GHz is achieved by people who know how to overclock and what each setting is through trial and error, you will only get a good overclock by spending time with you board.

It's likely you'll have to play with the voltage to get anything past 3.

7. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    If you cannot boot @ 3.2GHz anymore and you could at first than the best thing to do is to load your default settings in your Bios, from there you can start from the begining.

The best thing i suggest, if your running your system with your stock HSF than don't go to far on the overclock, cuz those thing can generate alot of heat.

With a stock HSF i wouldn't pass 3.2GHz which you should acheive easily with 1.25VCore.

Also take a look at your QPI if its to high than for sure you gonna run into instability, you can set @ 6.4GT/s @ 3.2GHz same as the i7-965.

The best thing to do is to go on MSI forum to get every single step for a sucessful overclock....I'm pretty sure you gonna find something there.

8. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    I don't know what kind of RAM your running, just make sure your timings are not too agressive @ the speed your trying to reach.

Run a Memtest before getting into Windows you gonna save alot of time and frustration...

Happy new year,

9. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    take a look at www.frozencpu.com they have some good heatsinks there. If you are willing to spend $60 on a new cooler, you will have much better luck with OC on that 920.

10. Gamer25

Gamer25 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 Core 216
    I've hear the I7 920 gets up to 4GHZ but thats using those USD$400. Plus motherboards eg. asus rampage II or super highend system and you need to change your stock cooler.

11. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    I had mine up to 4.0 and it ran good.. yet I did not like the temps. Backing it off to 3.5 i was happy with for now. once some better aftermarket coolers come out for the new stuff, ill grab that and bump it back up to 3.8 - 4.0

And as said, not all CPU's the same. You could have completely different results. Best thing to do, is bump it up little by little while running burn tests between them and see what you can do.

By the way, that 4.0 i had was all stock, no voltage changes or anything.... Im sure i could go above 4.0 with H20.

Also, if your BIOs has a setting like, Normal, fast, turbo or something like that, put it on normal or default. Allot of people dont realize that leaving it on turbo or something wont work right with overclocks and can make your system very unstable.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  12. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Running @ 4.0 with water cooling so easy to oc these cpu's :) Peope who run at 4.0 whats your vcore ?