Brief couple of important questions for the Gurus!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Shreddy, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640 G80 650/2000
    Hey Gurus, I was just wondering, I'm not quite sure what died on my current rig, but the computer absolutely refuses to power up anymore. Doesn't even post, the LED's on the CPU fan come on briefly (half a second if not less) when I try and turn it on. I'm not sure if it's my PSU or mother board that died. Was wondering if you guys had any idea on what it might be? But, I'm guessing it's the motherboard, so I have a couple questions about motherboards. First, I'm considering getting either a P5K Pro, or P5Q Pro, or any motherboard that'd be exactly or under 120$ for a small overclock of a Q6600 I'm getting to 3.0 GHz. Anyways, If the FSB on the motherboard is 1333, and the CPU's (Q6600) is 1066, would it work on the motherboard? Also, It says here on the motherboard specs that the memory standard is DDR2 1200/1066 (P5Q, P5K,) and all I have to put in is DDR2 800, would my memory still work for it? Another thing.. Do you guys have any suggestions for a decent motherboard for ~120$?

Thanks alot!

~Shreddy

2. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    It could be anything really.. RAM/CPU/MOBO/PSU.. you have to run them through a process of elimination. Hopefully you have some spare parts around or a second computer to test your parts.

P5Q pro is a great board, I hear nothing but good things about it. About your CPU/RAM speeds, they will just run at the clock speed they are at default. 1066 FSB will run at 1066 on a 1333 mobo. Ram will run at 800mhz on a 1066 board. In other words, you're okay to plug them in.

3. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    Well, after doing some experimenting, I ended up unplugging the DVD-R I had, and it decides to power up! Woot!!! BUT.. Even after swapping out all of my RAM and trying different combos/single sticks, it absolutely refuses to get past the memory test! So I can't even get into BIOS, it just sits there at the memory test, finished. It doesn't freeze, it just doesn't go past it! Any ideas anybody?

4. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    Alright, an update for y'all. I think it may be the motherboard afterall. For some reason it absolutely does not want to detect my DVD-R Drive (IDE), OR my 500GB Seagate Barracuda (SATA3.) I don't know what the memory problem was about, but it stopped after I put my 2 GB stick in ONLY, and proceeded to add my other sticks afterwards.. The DVD-R drive gets power, I know that for sure.. It can open/close the tray, but, after it posts, with everything plugged in, the computer gives me a "HARDDISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" Which leads me to believe that it might be the IDE Host Controller on the Motherboard itself that's not detecting anything.. Now, it doesn't show that it's actually detecting the DVD-R drive AND the Harddrive at all in any of the BIOS/Post options. I'm really confused as to what the actual problem is here, I don't know if it's the PSU, Motherboard (leaning towards this..), Harddrive and DVD-R drive, or what?!?!

Please help, Gurus!

5. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    Bump, anybody out there!? :(

6. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    I dont think its your PSU or CPU if your loading into your bios, and you're passing your memory tests right?

Im leaning toward the mobo taking a crap too, or your HDD.

7. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    I was thinking my HDD at first too, but I'm not sure about that seeing the motherboard isn't even detecting the DVD-R drive, which, when unplugged, was the reason how I got it booted up in the first place.. Hmm. I'm thinking of ordering a P5Q and seeing how that goes. I just want to make sure the motherboard is absolutely the problem first, though. Kind of tight on money, and the lady is pregnant. :|

8. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    Its just really hard to tell if you dont have extra parts to swap in and out, I would say to take it to a shop so they could pin point it but that'll probably cost a bit too.

But if its not detecting your HDD or your DVD/CD drive, I doubt they can both be dead, so I would say your mobo looks like number 1.

9. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    Sounds about right, thanks for the help bro!

10. yuka

yuka Guest

GPU:
    9800gtx @ 820 / 1200
    Did u try switch ide cables? Did you maybe turn ide cable on wrong side? Do you have seperate ide cable for DVD and HD? Or you run them on 1 cable with master/slave ? Check your ide cable if they might be damaged, and try to replace them with other, and make sure you put it in the right way. Did you try reset your bios? Put the battery from your motherboard out for a minute.

hope it helps. happy new year

11. Shreddy

Shreddy Member

GPU:
    Yes I tried all you've said, yuka, and none of it worked :( I ordered the P5Q in hopes of the motherboard being the problem.. But now, I'm stuck between ordering a new CPU as well. E8400 or Q6600? :/

12. yuka

yuka Guest

GPU:
    9800gtx @ 820 / 1200
    i would suggest you to buy, either e8600 E0 or q9650 :p and dont use ide anymore;P use sata