LG E500 good buy or bad buy?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by blumentopferde, Dec 1, 2008.

1. blumentopferde

blumentopferde Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870/FireGL V7700
    hello!
    I did something one should never do... i bought a laptop on ebay and -worse than this- without watching and comparing prices over certain time before i did it...
    i just got so mad with my old laptop which was just so ****ing slow that it was just not acceptable any more, that i felt the need to buy a new one as soon as possible... so went to ebay, limited the search it to what i need (quadro card or moddable ati-card and a dual core cpu and below 500euros) and just took the first laptop that fitted to these needs. well what surprised me: it was the first laptop i bid on... so now i'm starting to think that i probably i might have got better for less, if i would have been more patient...

here are the specs:

* Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (2.1 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache)
    * 15,4" 1280x800 (crappy screen as i've read in a test)
    * 2048 MB Ram
    * 250 GB HDD S-ATA (5.400 U/Min.)
    * ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600, 256
    * weight: 2,7 kg

price: 500€

what do you think, good buy or bad buy?

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    It looks as if the only thing good about it is the CPU.

3. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    for the price that doesn't seem too bad. not sure about LG quality when it comes to laptops though.

4. blumentopferde

blumentopferde Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870/FireGL V7700
    now i had the time to test it...
    and it was definitely a bad buy! i actully bought i beause the gpu is moddable to FireGL... so i thought ok, good CPU, good GPU, i mainly use CAD Programs, so what can i do wrong? well there is a lot that can go wrong...
    1.i need win xp for a mod and this laptop has serious troubles with win xp some hardware simply won't install (I started another thread about this, if anyone could help me about it i'd really appreciate it!)
    2. the keyboard is PAINFUL! far too narrow and keys only react to very hard pushing, apart from that some keys are smaller and/or on a different place than usually. This makes writing a real pain.
    3. the display is crap, but as i'm used to Dell notebooks, it is still good enoughfor me (dell has the worst displays all over the world)...

well, if i get the notebook working on winxp this is all acceptable.... if not, well, seems like i'll have to get rid of it!

5. master2010

master2010 New Member

GPU:
    ATI
    solution for the xp driver problems

If you still want the win XP driver tell me and I will upload them to you in 1 file

6. Tartaros

Tartaros Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTX
    E500 series of lg can be a pain in the ass. Lg has quite good laptops in high range but lower series are a disaster. The E500 AP72B for example has problems with the usb ports, many of them didn't have functional usb xD

If you want good and cheap, try asus, samsung or medion.