Power supply Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by finalstud, Dec 25, 2008.

1. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
    Ok so, I have a desktop computer and it has 220 watts... yea its pretty small. I also have a geforce 8200 integrated thingy in my motherboard, BUT i want the Geforce 9400gt or 9500gt. Now, these cards require much more watts than the capacity i have rite now. the 9400gt requires 300 watts and the 9500gt requires 400 watts ? I can't even buy a new power supply for this comp because my computer is very compact. If you want to take a look at the specs go here --> http://us.acer.com/public/page38.do...m=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+States&crc=945987994

Anyways. Is it even possible to get the cards installed and working? I heard there is a 6 pin power converter, but i dont fully know what that does. Can any1 give me an answer? i want to upgrade this pc !

2. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    first idea would be to get a full size case with descent power supply and swap the mobo and such out to the new case :) it would help with the cooling as well :) :)

3. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
    So i should buy a new case eh. Any other way to install the cards ? There should be another way. Does any1 know what a 6 pin power converter actually does ? Will it help me in any way ? I'm in need of help lol . Well as i said, I don't want to change my power supply. Theres gotta be another way.

4. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    the 6pin converter uses two 4pin hd plugs and only works with some cards my xfx geforce 9600gt came with one AND a card telling we that it would not work with the card !? by the way what is the amp on the 12v if you have enough amps then it may work :)

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    9400gt and 9500GT cards only consume about 36W so one couldn't draw more than an amp or two more than the integrated 8200 does. I don't think either of those cards requires an external 6-pin connector (they get all the power they need thru the slot). I say the chances are good that there's still an amp or two of overhead in your 220W PSU (still be nice to see the specs though...I believe it's a LiteOn proprietary form factor thing) but anyway I think your biggest problem will be getting a card to fit in there...have to be short and have to be low profile design too I think. If you're willing to run it with the side panel off that may give you some more options there.

6. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
    Hmm... So you're saying i could just buy the 9500 gt with no problem at all if it fits rite ? Power isn't a problem ? Hmm... i see.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yep powers not the problem for thoses cards its just fitting them.

8. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
    oh what the... thats interesting . Then whats the use of those expensive power supplies ?

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    for cards that have external power needs like my card for example.

10. aravi_992

aravi_992 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    hmm i read the info on ur pc it has a pci express x16 slot so it can take an external graphics card problemo is the power supply. u might have to remove the power supply and buy a 450w and place it outside the computer. or u can find a mini power supply. im not sure about finding another mini power supply. u can place a 450w outside the pc and send its wires inside your pc. that might do the trick but it wont be neat. and oh yeah i dont think a 9500gt will fit inside ur case. i checked it and found out that it wont be able to fit in a good vga becuase of size issues. heres a link

http://www.techspot.com/review/119-acer-aspire-x1200/page2.html

hope this helps you

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008

11. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
    Ok now i'm very confused. People say i can take the power issue on the 9500 gt and now you say i can't. hm..... I understand the size issue, but not the power problem. i can totally take off the side panel and that would be no problemo. Why did kylzer say that i could be able to run it with no power problem ? AHH GAWD I'M SO CONFUSED T_T.

12. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    You don't need a 450W power supply for that...look here...at the very bottom of the chart:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/760/13/

154 watts while gaming (COD4) and thats a water cooled Q9770 CPU (stock clocks) AND those are AC input watts measured with a Seasonic Power Angel. The PSU used is 80-85% efficient so that means the DC output load on the PSU there is only 120-130 watts.

13. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
    Ohhhh niceeee. The card i want to buy actually has low power consumption ^_^. Wow this is perfect for me . Thanks. I think this clarified it a bit more.

14. finalstud

finalstud Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/radeon 4890/1gb
  15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

16. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
  17. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    For people with high end cards with external connectors, people with multiple fast HDDs, multiple optical drives, radiators for water cooling, overclocked systems, fan controllers, lighting, and perhaps even running SLI or Crossfire.