Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. DeadlyDevil666

DeadlyDevil666 Member Guru

GPU:
    9800 GTX / Palit / 512mb
    Alright im getting this error and im fed up. I had overclocked my GTX to 790/1970/1180 and it worked for a few days. Then, i started getting the error.

I downed it to 775/1160/1170 and i had no issues for a week, now, im getting it again.

I put it back to factory clock and i still procede to have the issue, i ran drivesweeper and tryed two seperate drivers (180.84 and 180.48 WHQL)

THis problem also never occurd on my old PSU, only started when i got the Corsair HX 520

2. Calranthe

Calranthe Member

GPU:
    HIS 3870x2
    Hi,
    I'm having the same problem with city of heroes, NVLDDMKM has recovered.

My system
    Intel Q6600 (3.4ghz, I did have it up to 4.2 but no game needs that :) )
    DFI X38 DK Lanparty mb
    4 gb ocz 800 ddr2
    250gb sata 2 samsung spinpoint
    Asus Xonar sound card
    Nvidia 260 GTX BFG
    Vista 64 home premium.

Now before anyone says anything about overclocking my system is custom watercooled and even when I ran it at 4.2ghz it never went above 39c.

Not only is it 100% stable in most games, I dual boot on a seperate drive into xp and never ever have a blue screen etc.

So from that and running both prime and burn the cpu is in no way damaged.

Memory has had a 48 hour mem test run and system is very stable.

(DFI mb are awesome for overclocking stability once you figure out the thousands of options hehe)

I've never overclocked my graphics card and I have no reason to believe there is an issue

So I don't think its hardware related.

Fallout 3, never had a crash in, mass effect etc I run everything maxed

Only City of Villains brings out this error

So i've come to the conclusion its either visa 64 or nvidia vista drivers or a wierd dohicky between em.

Any ideas ?

3. GamingTillDie

GamingTillDie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    This message could be related to:

1. Unstable Ram, clocked too high, getting hot etc. Also timings...

2. PSU Problems

3. Overclocked system not stable.

Check temps, PSU, heat of the card (voltage regulator). In my Case the Ram timings were set too low. I also had to put up my Subtimings. Now good luck in finding the prob!:pc1:

4. Calranthe

Calranthe Member

GPU:
    HIS 3870x2

1. atm its clocked 1:1 and running perfectly (temp is atm 34.6c (have 6 temp sensors around my rig on a scythe temp readout)

2. Corsair 750hx all voltages show pretty near perfect.

3. As I said this only happens in vista same system dual booted to xp works perfectly.

Card temp is 45 (2 shakoon fans above it shifting any thermals outside of case)

Thank you for the suggestions though.

5. BaneComes

BaneComes Banned

GPU:
    580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC
    ok, totally off the subject i just swithed to vista ultimate and i've dl all the updates. but my games run real sluggish like they drag i heard somewhere that vista needs a couple of days to index is this true? using 180.84 32 bit vista driver

6. GamingTillDie

GamingTillDie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC
    @Calranthe

Vista is more sensitive to ram. So i would suspect the ram. Try to push it hard with IntelBurnTest or Memtest 3.8 1000%

@BaneComes If its fresh installed yes, it could be the indexer. Turn it off. Go to Energy options and select High Performance.

Merry Christmas!

7. Calranthe

Calranthe Member

GPU:
    HIS 3870x2
    @GamingTilDie, Ran Memtest 3.8 while I slept, didn't make it to 1000% but it did get to 785% no errors.

tonight before bed i'll intelburntest but i'm pretty confident of the results, this isn't hardware this is software

Happy holidays

8. jugernaut

jugernaut New Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gt's sli
    Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding error

try this make sure you have the geforce driver you want to install and also you will need to go over to nvidia and get the nforce driver for your mobo make sure it's the one for your system etc. when you have those two drivers remove your video card driver as normal,run drive cleaner, then go to device manager click on display adaptors and uninstall after that reboot pc in safe mode. when you reboot your pc will automatically reinstall a display driver let it finish. when everything has rebooted install the nforce driver, not your video card driver,after that reboot in safe mode once more and install your geforce driver and restart.see if that corrects your problem. i know it,s a long process but you get a much cleaner install, if you notice it say,s display driver problem not video card problem thats why we removed your display driver and reinstalled a fresh one, anyway hope this helps.oh also make sure you have the most recent version of directx go over to microsoft and get it.peace.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  9. Calranthe

Calranthe Member

GPU:
    HIS 3870x2
    OKay :) My problem is fixed, it wasn't hardware related it was nvidia drivers, not saying this will be the same for everyone but it is for City of Villains.

Seems CoV/CoH used an "obsolete" open gl call being as the engine is 5+ years old well the recent drivers from Nvidia it was decided not to support this function call anymore.

181 seems to completely fix it.

I know its good tactics and proven to get people to check there ram/cpu/hardware but software should not be discounted either.

(ncsoft have been talking to Nvidia about the problem etc)

If Fallout 3 works 100% stable, if Supreme commander forged alliance works 100% stable if every game or piece of software works perfectly except 1 or 2 games then unless those games push a part of the hardware nothing else touches, software can easily be to blame for bluescreen etc.

I had the same problems when I first got Fallout 3, it would crash on startup for no apparent reason, (my pc had been 100% stable for 6 months) I spent a week using intel burn, mem test etc trying to prove to those offering advice that my hardware was okay hehe, in the end it turned out to be driver related for my asus xonar dx sound card, one little button in its controll pannel needed to turn off GX.

Thank you for all your help I know it was well meaning but please please remember to also advise people to poke there software etc nvidia and ati etc do make mistakes or "issues" in there drivers hehe.

Hope you all had wonderful holidays :)

10. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    LOL. YOu make it sound like we are a bunch of noobs.

11. Wayne2456

Wayne2456 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia-Geforce9600GT-512
    Guy's and Girl's, Away check to make sure that your Direct X 10 version is up to date, that was the problem for me and when i went to up date it to the Decmber 2008 one, that fix est my problem. Happy New year :bunch::bunch::bunch:

12. Andyus

Andyus Active Member

GPU:
    x2 Gainward 275GTX 986mb
    from vista SP1 i got no more problems like that error, but is always good update directx to last package

EDIT: last package is november 2008, not december =p i can't find december in website microsoft :book:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  13. Breathless

Breathless Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 756C/2700M

It has been my experience in my own testing and fighting with this issue in Vista that this is absolutely the case. I do not get this problem anymore. I may get an occasional freeze, but at this point I know now it is because I am clocking my card too far.

14. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    UP.Question,does this happen with Ati cards?

15. TDZGamer

TDZGamer Member

GPU:
    GTX780 DCII OC/3GB
    Windows blames the driver for many different related problems and bugs that's why it is so difficult to squash this one. If you have a relatively fresh install with new drivers, chances are you got a memory related problem or possibly instabilities due to overheating. So basically after you made sure you got shiny new drivers and removed the old ones:

1.) Remove all dust, especially from filters, fans and heat sinks.
    2.) Try clocking down your memory (or relax timings if you are pushing the enevlope here).
    3.) Run memtest86 and get new memory chips if they are faulty.
    4.) Check temperatures and airflow in your case.

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I'm sure ATI cards have their own set of problems, but this one is "exclusive" for Nvidia cards: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered".

17. PeterV

PeterV Active Member

GPU:
    HD5970 Gigabyte
    For people pulling their hair out and desperate to find a fix for this problem: Underclock your gfx card memory clock by a lot. Just to test and see.
    By 10% at least. Preferably 15% or more (but 10% or so should do).

These sorts of problems can take hundreds and hundreds of tests to even begin to narrow down the real causes. I would expect that none of us have the real testing equipment and software testing tools required to efficiently track where the problem really comes from, so almost none of us can ever achieve a definitive explanation, let alone a solution.

But so far, my tests suggest the gfx card memory is the source of the problem occuring. Whether through it over-heating, or being sub-spec ability, or the card manufacturer using dangerously close memory timings etc etc.
    So underclocking it takes a lot of the potential problem out of it.

Also remember, the gfx card temps you see (GPU temp) is not even an accurate guide as to what is occuring IN the chip. Just because you have a huge heatsink that can get rid of more heat than the stock cooler, does not definitely mean the GPU itself can cope with the actual generation of that extra heat at the circuitries junction level (eg transistor gate). It can be too late to ship off the heat AFTER the circuitry internals are already excessively hot.
    The GPU Temp is a GUIDE only really.

I have one game that can trigger this crash very reliably. No other that does.
    In Vista or XP. With any driver version - none seem overly better than another. It will occur at stock GPU and Memory clock speeds.
    But SO FAR can be prevented by underclocking 10% or more.
    I can run the GPU at 20% overclock and all is still fine.
    All is fine as long as the memory is underclocked.

At 20% GPU overclock, and fan set a fixed 100% duty cycle, I get a 1 deg rise in GPU temp over stock clock (also with fan 100%). Just 1 degree...
    So the stock cooling is apparently capable of a fair bit more than the standard heat dissipation required anyway.
    I suspect it is the memory chips that can't deal with the 'standard' temp area they are running at, and the underclocking gives them more breathing room to prevent corruption occuring - and thus keeps this driver error problem at bay.

At least on my system.... so far.

So give that gfx memory underclocking a try. It is fast and easy to do, so you have nothing to lose really. Fast and easy to set back to normal if it does not help you.
    And if you then care about the loss of 10% mem speed... RMA your card and see if the next one does better, or not.
    I myself and happy to just have a reliable card - even if not at its manufacturer claimed speed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  18. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    good point, i stopped in game lockups for good by under clocking my 8800gtx....

19. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    That doesn't make sense since my 8800gtx worked on water for 1 year and now that i re-install my OS this started happening. It has to be software related.

20. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

That particular error is, as it mentions nvidias kernel mode driver. But ATI has this problem too, namely:

"Display Driver atikmdag.sys stopped responding, has successfully recovered"